When taking an interview for an account payable team leader job, you can be asked various questions to test your suitability for the position.
It is therefore important that you are well prepared for the interview by practicing with commonly asked account payable team leader interview questions before taking the interview.
This post brings you a huge collection of interview questions typically asked in an account payable team leader job interview to enable you to effectively prepare for the interview.
What do Interviewers look for in Account Payable Team Leaders?
When recruiting for an account payable team leader position, interviewers generally look for qualities such as leadership, communication, and organization skills.
They will also be interested in your experience in accounts payable, so be sure to highlight your accomplishments in this area.
10 Most Common Account Payable Team Leader Interview Questions
Here are some of the commonest account payable team leader interview questions (with answers) to boost your preparation for your upcoming interview:
- What is your greatest accomplishment in accounts payable?
I have achieved an all-time high of 95% accuracy rate in processing invoices for clients, which led to an increase in client retention by 6%.
2. How have you adapted to changes in your role?
I get everyone together and we discuss the situation. We come up with a plan and we work towards overcoming any issues.
3. Why do you feel this job would be a good fit for your skill set?
I have experience in accounts payable, and I work well with people. I also feel like you are the right fit for me because of your reputation as a growing company that values its employees.
4. What kinds of skills do you think would help you succeed at your job?
Great communication skills to convey messages clearly; critical thinking to problem solve; and the ability to work independently.
5. Describe how you handled a difficult situation in your previous job.
I was able to stay calm and composed, communicated with all the necessary parties, and found a resolution that met everyone’s needs.
6. What do you think are the most important traits for a team leader?
They are leadership, communication, and organization skills.
7. How do you define success?
Success is doing the best I can every day in order to reach my goals. Always gives 100% effort – never stops trying!
8. What are your strengths?
My strengths are positive attitude; effective communicator; critical thinker; driven; resourceful.
9. What do you think makes you stand out from the other candidates?
I have a lot of experience in accounts payable, and I am very proactive. I am also a good problem solver, and I work well under pressure.
10. How do you deal with stress?
By taking time to be alone; listening to music; taking a walk; talking with people I trust.
More Sample Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
Here are additional account payable team leader interview questions to practice with for your next interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- Describe a time when you had to work as part of a team?
- Were you comfortable with the level of feedback that was available from your boss?
- Have you ever been criticized for something by a client, and how did that make you feel?
- When is it appropriate to push back on what your manager says or asks you to do? How would you go about doing so in an effective way without compromising any relationships with co-workers or peers?
- What are some strengths and weaknesses of yours?
Sample Case Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- What is the first step to resolving a problem with an invoice?
- What would you do if you can’t locate an invoice?
- What is the difference between gross sales and net sales?
- Who controls cash flow, receivables or payables?
- How does balancing books impact following day’s transactions and settlements?
Sample Competency Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
1. How do you prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously?
2. Describe a time when you had to analyze and solve a complex problem.
3. What experience do you have leading a team of employees?
4. How do you handle difficult or challenging conversations with employees?
5. What is your experience working with vendor accounts?
Sample Problem-Solving Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
1. How do you prioritize and manage tasks?
2. How do you handle difficult situations?
3. What accounting systems are you familiar with?
4. How do you develop and maintain relationships with key vendors?
5. How do you stay organized and efficient in your work?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- How would you handle a conflict between a client and an employee?
- What is your current work style?
- When have you worked best in a team setting?
- What’s the most important thing for account payable team leaders to keep track of on a day to day basis?
- How do you handle stress in this position?
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- Do you like to talk on the phone?
- What is your negotiation style?
- Would you rather work in a company with little communication or high communication volume?
- How will an hourly team leader be able to plan ahead when they don’t know their schedule in advance?
- Have you ever made assumptions that backfired? What did it teach you about yourself and what would have been better to do differently during that time period of your career instead of assuming things.
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- What are your best qualities?
- Describe the best boss you have ever had.
- What do you know about our company?
- How do you handle stressful situations?
- Tell me about a time where your work was criticized.
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- What are your thoughts on workplace diversity?
- Why do you want to work here?
- What is your management style?
- Do you have any limitations that may affect your ability to perform the job duties of an account payable team leader?
- How would you deal with a difficult issue between two employees in your department?
Sample Technical Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- How do I create an invoice?
- What is the difference between Net 45 and 60 Days terms for invoicing?
- What are your thoughts on credit cards?
- Should contractors be required to waive right of set off if they are late paying their invoices to my company?
- Can I use my personal discount card in a business transaction or will that be treated as income that must be reported on taxes/corporation reporting?
Sample Leadership Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- What are the skills required to be a team leader in accounting?
- How would you balance a heavy workload among your staff, without compromising deadlines and quality of work?
- What is your experience with leading a team?
- Are you an expert communicator who can manage people by phone or email effectively?
- Can you demonstrate effective leadership skills during difficult situations?
Sample Management Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- What is the most important consideration for a client service team leader?
- Why do you think that you would be successful in this role, and how would the team leader position help with those skillsets?
- How do you provide feedback to employees after they’ve completed a task or project?
- Is there anything else we should know about why we should choose you for this leadership position”?
- What would be some of the challenges that might arise while not being an accounting team leader?
Sample Finance Interview Questions for Account Payable Team Leader Position
- How do you manage a team of 20 people?
- What is the most difficult part of your job as an account payable accountant?
- What are the top 5 things that have been the most challenging for you in your experience as a leader of an accounting department?
- In what ways would you prefer to improve team efficiency at your company, and how does this apply to process changes, involvement with other departments, more training, etc.?
- Describe a time when you had to deal with conflict within your team. What did you do to resolve it and what was the outcome? It can be a personal or work related conflict. Share a specific example from both inside and outside work context.
Account Payable Team Leader Interview Success Tips
If you want to ace your next interview for a team leader position in account payable, then you can apply the following tips:
- Time management
For the fact that interviewers are frequently prepared ahead of time, you also must be at the interview venue on time. In fact, you have to be there some minutes before the actual time of the interview to allow you to settle down.
2. Pay close attention to the interviewer
Verify that you comprehend the question; if not, request further explanation or restate it in your own words. Completely and succinctly respond. Maintain a neutral tone of voice throughout the conversation.
3. Know about the interviewer, including his or her name, spelling, and pronunciation
Use it before your interview. If you don’t recall the name, call ahead and inquire about it. In case you need to contact them again, write down the secretary’s name.
Secretaries have a powerful impact on hiring decisions!
4. Wait for the interviewer to mention salary and benefits
To learn more about pay scales, check out salary surveys and other career-related information on the Career Services website in the career library.
Accounting is an important part of any business, and it’s crucial that the right person fills this position.
This article has provided a list of interview questions (and answers) you can use to prepare for an account payable team leader interview and increase your chances of being hired.