Radiology Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Radiology Technician Do?
A radiology technician, who is also in some cases referred to as radiology technologist works with a radiologist in carrying out diagnosis and treatment of patients by the use of radiology equipment.
The radiology technician job description entails preparing patients for tests, explaining required procedures to patients (to make sure that the whole treatment process moves smoothly), and carrying out necessary tests in line with radiology safety procedures.
He/she closely monitors patients, develops required films, maintains, and handles specialized radiology equipment.
Radiology technicians work with sophisticated machines, usually in a hospital setting and make adjustments to the equipment when it is needed.
They use in-depth knowledge to read and comprehend doctors’ orders.
The technician prepares and positions patients in a way that enables him/her to get the best picture.
His/her role also includes keeping a proper record of patients, operating the computer that is linked to the x-ray machine, and also making sure that both he/she and the patients are not in danger of any form of radiation by using heavy radiation-resistant lead shields.
The radiology technician develops radiographs and takes care of them, making sure that the doctor gets all the necessary x-ray images for the treatment of a patient.
He/she also makes sure that the patient is at ease throughout the entire treatment process.
The role of a radiology technician is one that is extremely important so as to ensure that the patient is treated properly once and for all.
In addition to his/her basic duties, a radiology technician work description may also involve helping out with nursing and administrative tasks during periods when the personnel originally in charge are very busy; they can also perform the functions of a medical assistant if necessary.
He/she creates a detailed report about patients’ behavior and responses to treatment, as well as provides information to patients concerning their ailment, and reports any form of machine malfunction to the radiologist or the head of the radiology unit.
Radiology Technician Job Description Example/Template
Radiology technicians perform various functions in helping patients get effective treatment for their ailment.
The major radiology technician tasks, duties, and responsibilities are shown in the job description example below:
- Explain and paint a clear picture of the whole treatment process to patients
- Position or adjust patients’ body to make sure that the appropriate part that requires treatment undergoes proper radiography
- Surround the exposed part of patients’ body with radiation-resistant/protective equipment so as to prevent any form of harm
- Make sure that radiography equipment is positioned properly at the correct angle and height above the appropriate body part of the patient
- Keep detailed record of patients. This normally includes the entire patient treatment process, including patient’s rate of response to treatment
- May be responsible for managing the radiography department as a whole
- Prepare patients for diagnostic imaging exam
- Measure the thickness of the part of the patient’s body that is to be checked
- Determine if patients have fear of being enclosed in a small space or room without being able to get out (claustrophobia) before the treatment process begins
- Get patients’ cooperation and trust by easing their fears and answering their questions
- Maintains a clean and safe environment by complying with processes and regulations
- Maintain radiology inventory supplies by anticipating needed items, regularly checking inventory level, and placing order for new supplies.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Radiology Technician Role
If you are interested in the radiology technician job, the common requirements and qualifications most employers may expect you to meet to be invited to an interview include the following:
- Good communication and interpersonal skills. This is needed in a bid to be able to properly explain the treatment procedures to patients and also quash any sort of fears he/she may have
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to display good composure even in the case of situations that may normally result in panic
- Must be a highly dependable individual
- Must be someone that pays keen attention to details at all times
- Must be friendly and easily approachable
- Ability to work for long hours
- Must have the required technical skills to operate radiography equipment and computers
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in radiologic technology
- 1-2 years work experience as a radiology technician in any medical facility
- Any other radiology certification(s) would be of added advantage.
If you are an employer hiring for the radiology technician job, you will need to create a good description for the position to enhance your chances of getting the best people for the job.
To produce such description, you can apply the information and sample work description in this post, and you will sure of getting the attention of quality candidates responding to your job offer.
Also, if you are thinking of getting into the radiology technician career, this article will help you gain more knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of the job for you to get better prepared ahead for the role.
Did this post help improve your knowledge of what radiology technicians do? Please share what you think of this article in the comment box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a technician in the radiology department of a company.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.