Oil Rig Electrician Job Description Sample
The job description of an oil rig electrician entails installing, troubleshooting, repairing, maintaining, commissioning, and testing of electrical equipment and systems on oil rigs.
His/her role also involves working on electrical distribution and transmission equipment.
Oil drilling operations usually lead to a high demand for industrial electricians.
Industrial electricians, or “sparky”, as they are often referred to, can work on a rig as an electrician.
The only difference is that working on an oil rig is usually much more cumbersome.
A rig sparky or oil rig electrician is usually employed by the maintenance department of a well and a drilling service contractor of petroleum-producing companies.
As with all electricians, electricians working on oil rigs are bound by the Electric Code of Practice; progression to higher positions is possible with experience and additional licensing examinations.
Job Summary: Working on an oil rig requires long and difficult days. Rig electrical workers are usually on a roster system; they often will work outdoors in all types of weather, or underground, and are part of a crew.
Being an electrician is not an easy work, let alone rig electricians who generally works harder.
The work is physically demanding unlike other office works and the conditions are less than pleasant.
Oil rig electricians work in small spaces barely big enough to move around. Sometimes they could be twisted up in uncomfortable places.
They may have to stand in one place for extended periods of time.
Many times, Oil rig electricians are dirty and dusty, and work in too hot or too cold or wet.
As oil rig electrician, there are times when you may be required to mount to the top of the masts, roofs of buildings or a high tower.
He/she must always be abreast of proper electrical safety regulations and wear safety clothing and use safety equipment to reduce the risk of serious injury.
Oil Rig Electrician Job Description Example
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities usually performed by most oil rig electricians are shown in the job description example below:
- Make sure that all maintenance work is performed safely in accordance with company regulations and in accordance with good engineering practice
- Collaborate with the Maintenance Supervisor in regards to maintenance, repairs and planning ahead in other to avoid the risk of delay caused by equipment breakdown
- Employ preventative maintenance program in accordance with Client and Company requirements and as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor
- Make sure there is always an enough tools, parts and consumables needed to maintain the equipment for which they are responsible
- Supply required information for updating of drawings, sketches or information on existing and replacement equipment
- Report misuse of equipment to the Senior Maintenance Supervisor
- Take proper care rig instruments and rig tools in their care.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Post of Oil Rig Electrician
- Must have first Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Must be able to speak and write good English
- Must have up to five years experience working as an Electrician
- Must be physically and mentality fit to do hard job
- Must be ready to work long hours in all weather in difficult conditions
- Must be smart
- Must be able to adapt to harsh working environment.
Best Health and Safety Certification Courses
If you are in or seeking a job in a field where
health and safety at workplace is a concern, like the construction industry, then you will need to complete a relevant course or two to gain the required knowledge and meet the OSHA requirements or other requirements.
>> OSHA 30 Hour Construction Industry Outreach Training Course
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.