This post presents detailed information on the MRO (maintenance, repair, and operations) buyer job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired for the MRO buyer role by most recruiters/employers.
What Does an MRO Buyer Do?
An MRO buyer is responsible for managing the purchase of materials, supplies, equipment, and services for their companies.
The MRO buyer job description entails researching potential suppliers, negotiating prices and contracts, and inspecting materials and products to ensure they meet specifications.
It also involves helping in managing supplier relationships.
The maintenance, repair, and operations buyer sets up equipment or systems to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
It is also their duty to identify new supplier opportunities and work with engineers to develop product designs that can be manufactured at the lowest cost.
They do everything from purchasing to maintaining, repairing and operating equipment, to integrating new technology.
The MRO buyer work description also entails negotiating contracts/payment terms, preparing purchase orders and invoices, and controlling cost of supplies and materials.
It also involves obtaining utility service hookup and scheduling repairs and maintenance services with customer representatives.
The maintenance, repair, and operations buyer also supervises maintenance workers and ensures that all work is completed in a timely manner.
In addition, the MRO buyer may also operate software to streamline the purchase process.
Helping to ensure that the company is using products and services that are required and represent good value for money is a key part of their duties.
Meeting with suppliers, customers, and other professionals to discuss business issues and plans is another key part of their responsibilities.
The MRO buyer may also assist with product liability claims, safety studies, warranty investigations, and litigation support issues, as well as any other jobs assigned by their management team or their supervisor approved by the MRO Buyer’s professional manager.
MRO Buyer Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The MRO buyer job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Manage equipment purchases, ensuring the equipment is delivered and installed properly
- Purchase supplies
- Normal operation of machinery and machinery parts by personnel
- Manage and supervise the personnel in the purchasing department
- Keep track of repairs, maintenance and replacements of equipment, machinery and other materials
- Supervise the maintenance department to implement quality service to customers
- Oversee the testing of new products to ensure that quality standards are met
- Keep accurate and detailed records of inventory, repairs and maintenance
- Keep up with the latest developments in his/her field by reading professional journals, talking to colleagues and attending relevant trade shows
- Take part in training, wherever appropriate, to understand new procedures and technologies
- Travel as needed to attend to customers, suppliers or area personnel concerning technical issues and equipment repair/maintenance issues
- Operate equipment to build and develop ideas, models, or materials
- Coordinate activities of workers engaged in manufacturing products out of parts and materials; assembling products from components or raw materials
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in constructing, maintaining and repairing buildings, machines or equipment
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in detailing structural design plans.
MRO Buyer Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume or CV as someone who has worked previously as an MRO buyer or are presently working in that role, then you can craft an effective Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the MRO buyer job description sample provided above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently performing as a maintenance, repair, and operations buyer in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the ones in the MRO buyer job description example above.
This will show that you have been successful working as an MRO buyer, which can improve your chances of being hired, especially if the new job that you are seeking requires some work experience as a maintenance, repair, and operations buyer.
MRO Buyer Job Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are major requirements candidates may be asked to meet to be hired for the MRO buyer role:
- 2-5 years of experience in purchasing; pricing and contract negotiations; or proposal preparation and management
- Familiarity with supply chain management procedures
- Excellent written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to work effectively in a team environment, and computer experience
- Must be creative, resourceful, and have initiative
- Must be prepared to travel and work in harsh environments such as field offices or remote areas due to their job requirements
- Analytical/Critical thinking skills to come up with production ideas
- Comfortable with high levels of stress and activities that require a lot of focus.
- Develop long-term relationships with suppliers, including developing strong personal rapport to ensure quick response on request for quotes or bids for new business
- Make decisions affecting the company’s financial performance without a lot of direction from senior colleagues or managers
- Work with a variety of people, deal with vendors, and make decisions that affect the company’s financial performance
- Prioritize and multi-task, as well as problem-solving skills
- Communicate effectively, be flexible and independent
- Work with varying personalities and manage opposing views
- Keep discussions calm and be objective
- Recognize own limitations, admit mistakes, and ask for help when needed to perform their duties efficiently
- Work in an environment that requires teamwork is essential in this position because they must interact with other company personnel on a daily basis.
MRO Buyer Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average annual salary for an MRO buyer in the Michigan area is $48,418.
The MRO buyer takes the lead in acquiring raw materials and supplies, and manages the manufacturing, storage, and sales of manufactured items.
This position requires a high level of knowledge and management skills to effectively meet company goals.
The maintenance, repair, and operations buyer must have initiative, creativity, and flexibility to adjust to changing circumstances while maintaining quality standards.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the MRO buyer career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of the maintenance, repair, and operations buyer, to be able to decide if it’s the right job for them to do.
It is also beneficial to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the MRO buyer position, for use in hiring the right person for the role.