MRI Technician Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does an MRI Technician Do?
MRI technicians are responsible for carrying out diagnostic tests. These tests are done through taking of images of a patient’s body using computerized Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scanners. MRI technicians usually work under a physician’s supervision.
The MRI technician job description entails helping to guide other medical personnel; they assist to reduce the workload on medical doctors.
They usually work in tandem with other medical personnel in order to achieve organizational goals.
Many of them start off in the radiology career before moving to MRI as a specialty. It is a highly sought-after profession.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging technicians have got the flexibility to work in clinical environments like diagnostic imaging centers, hospitals, and radiographic units, and are an important link in the health care delivery business.
The work description of MRI technicians is usually all-encompassing.
MRI Technicians Job Description Example/Sample/Template
MRI technicians perform various functions in assisting medical doctors to effectively treat patients’ health challenges.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make up MRI technician job description are shown below:
- Operate MRI equipment for the purpose of capturing diagnostic images of a particular segment of the patient’s body
- Help to properly position a patient correctly for MRI examinations
- Assist in the explanation of examination procedures to patients
- Assist in the provision of patients’ care and do detailed reporting of the patients’ medical needs
- Screen patients before examination for eye surveying, stapedectomy, and cardiac pacemaker
- Supervise and guide new staff in their job description
- Record the scan parameters using images gotten from the MRI machine
- Check patients history to know whether a patient will go for MRI examination or not
- Perform important duties during emergencies
- Perform administrative and clerical jobs as required
- Help to accomplish assigned tasks by following the laid down procedures and policies
- Analyze filing procedures so as to easily access and locate reports and images
- Ensure that MRI rooms are clean, organized, and safe for MRI examinations
- Help in the preparation of MRI room with the necessary equipment
- Ensure there are quality assurance and improvements in the programs of the department
- Send patients for examination
- Prepare and administer chemical mixtures for the purpose of patients’ examination
- Follow safety guidelines and infection control procedures
- Assist Radiologists to administer medications
- Conduct proper inventory so as to maintain a stock of chemical supplies
- Help in the calibration of MRI machines
- Ensure there are backup copies of all patients’ images. This is done by ensuring the transfer of patients’ images to a storage device
- Help to ensure patients are comfortable during MRI examination by providing headphones to reduce unpleasant noise.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For MRI Technicians Role
When hiring for the role of MRI technician, most employers will majorly require applicants to possess certain skills, abilities, and knowledge to qualify to access the job. These requirements include:
- Understanding the use of software, such as medical image processing software
- Understanding customer and personal service delivery
- Possess the knowledge and the technique required to diagnose and treat injuries, including symptoms
- Possess knowledge of plant and animal organism
- Ability to listen and understand spoken and written words and proper interpretations
- Understanding of quality control analysis
- Complete and sign patients’ screening forms
- Perform additional duties as required by the management
- Understanding the importance of time management
- Possess effective communication skills
- Demonstrate competence in all relevant areas
- Should be flexible and reliable and be capable of demonstrating sound judgment
- Should have the required Permit to practice in a particular State or country
- Must be able to work harmoniously with a radiologist
- Collaborate with medical doctors to plan and provide treatment for patients.
From this article, we can understand how important MRI technicians are to health centers or institutions.
These technicians are part of the lifeblood of the health sector and their services cannot be underestimated.
As such, it is important to hire the best MRI technician for the job if you have an opening for the position in your organization.
The sample job description provided in this post will help employers in creating a good description for the MRI technician role in their organizations for hiring the best person for the job.
It will also assist professionals in the medical field to understand what it takes to prepare themselves for a career as an MRI technician.
This post serves as a handbook for MRI technicians.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about what MRI technicians do? Please, share your thoughts about this article in the box below. Do also share your duties and responsibilities if you work as an MRI technician.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.