Medical Sales Representative Job Description Example
What Does a Medical Sales Representative Do?
The medical sales representative job description generally entails conducting the sale of medical supplies such as equipment, drugs, and devices to hospitals, medical schools, and health facilities.
They work for manufacturers or suppliers to secure sales contracts and supply orders.
In fulfilling their role, medical sales representatives contact medical personnel such as doctors, pharmacists and medical technicians through calls, emails, and arranged meetings to offer them products and services.
They usually conduct surveys to identify potential customers and target market for specific products.
As part of their sales strategy, they prepare and present business proposals to clients. They also deliver sales pitches to potential customers to convince them to purchase or order specific products or service.
As part of their sales presentation, medical sales representatives provide demonstration of products to highlight the efficacy and other valuable qualities.
They help resolve any issues or customer complaints regarding a product or service. They also build and maintain positive work relationship with customers and medical clientele to create a rapport that allows for future business dealings.
Medical sales reps in performing their duties organize sales campaigns to create awareness and increase product publicity.
They keep an eye on industry trends such as demand for products, competition level and price of competing goods in order to take appropriate decisions.
They also work in line with company set policies to meet and possibly exceed set sales targets.
Medical sales representatives develop and implement strategies for expanding customer base and reducing client attrition.
They maintain proper record of accounts/sales operations and present periodic reports to management on business activities.
As part of their duties, medical sales conduct price negotiations with clients on behalf of the manufacturer/supplier to strike a profitable bargain.
They carry out research to obtain information relevant in meeting the scientific needs and business needs of health professionals.
Their work description may also involve attending conferences, seminars and educational meetings to update job knowledge and expand personal network.
To access the medical sales representative job, individuals will need a Bachelor’s degree in a science discipline such as biology, chemistry, physiology, or engineering.
To excel on this job, the necessary qualities to have include communication, negotiation, and persuasive skills.
Medical Sales Representative Job Description Example/Template
Medical sales representatives play crucial roles in the distribution, marketing, and sales of medical products.
If you are looking to work in this role, here is an example of the kind of job description you will likely be handed; it shows the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities of most medical sales reps:
- Contact medical professionals such as doctors, pharmacists, and medical technicians to offer them products and services via calls and arranged meetings
- Conduct surveys to identify potential customers and target market for specific products/services
- Prepare and present business proposals to clients to indicate interest in providing sales offer
- Deliver sales pitches to convince clients to order or purchase medical products/services
- Provide demonstration of products to highlight its qualities and efficacy
- Build and maintain positive work relationships with clients to create a rapport that allows for future business deals
- Help resolve any issues or customer complaints regarding a product or service
- Organize sales campaigns to create awareness and increase product publicity
- Monitor industry trends to identify product demand, degree of competition and price of competing products
- Work in line with company policies to meet and exceed set sales targets
- Develop and implement strategies for expanding customer base and on the other hand minimize clientele attrition
- Maintain proper record of accounts/sales operations and present periodic reports to management on business activities
- Conduct price negotiations with clients to strike a profitable bargain
- Carry out research to obtain information relevant in meeting the scientific and business needs of medical professionals
- Participate in conferences and seminars to improve on existing job knowledge and expand personal network.
Medical Sales Representative Resume Preparation
In preparing a resume for the medical sales representative job, you will need to highlight your previous work experience.
This makes the resume more attractive to employers who are comfortable hiring experienced sales reps who have acquired the contacts and ability to easily sell medical products.
You can apply the sample job description given above in creating the work experience part of your resume.
If you have worked before as a sales rep for medical items, you will have carried out the above functions, and that makes them appropriate to be used in highlighting your work experience.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Medical Sales Representative Job
To access the medical sales representative job, most employers will want you to meet the following requirements:
- Education and Training: To become a medical sales representative, you require a Bachelor’s degree in a science discipline like biology, chemistry, or engineering. A strong background in sales is also necessary to secure the job. Employers usually provide on-the-job training to bring employees up-to-speed on sales operations
- Communication Skill: Medical sales reps are adept at interacting with medical professionals to offer them products and services
- Persuasive Qualities: Medical sales representatives are able to conduct product price negotiations to reach a favorable bargain for both the client and manufacturer
- Negotiation Skills: Medical sales reps are able to conduct product price negotiations to reach a favorable bargain for both the client and manufacturer.
Medical Sales Representative Skills for Resume
You can use the above medical sales representative qualities if you have them in creating the skills section of your resume.
Your resume will be more appealing to employers if it shows that you have the right skills to excel on the job.
The medical sales representative job description highlights the typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities you will be charged with if hired for the position.
Employers can also apply the medical sales representative job description template provided above in making one for recruiting the best person for the job and assigning duties to them.
Did you learn new things about the job description of a medical sales rep? Please leave your thoughts in the box below.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.