IT Team Leader Job Description: Sample of Duties and Responsibilities
What Does an IT Team Leader Do?
The IT team leader is responsible for envisioning and setting goals in the information technology department of a company.
His/her job description includes processing, storing, transmitting and protecting information in the organization.
He/she creates a vision and then inspires other team members to jointly achieve them.
He/she ensures that every team member has a role to play in achieving set goals and targets.
The leader is a keen team player who teaches his/her mates how to cooperate in order to achieve organizational goals and targets, and also coordinates other team members.
To be effective on the job he/she must understand basic information technology specialties like computer networking, web development and management, programming, data and network security, as well as data entry.
Along with their team mates, they are responsible for developing software and programs for use in the organization, and also perform regular updates of the software.
They would also be in charge of maintaining the company’s website and protecting it against all security attacks and compromise.
Team leaders in the IT department carry out regular assessment of the company’s systems and operations to ascertain level of exposure to risk, and then take further steps to eliminate or manage them.
Job Description Sample for the IT Team Leader Position
The sample job description below shows a list of key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the work activities of the majority of leaders managing teams in the IT departments of most companies:
- Delegate duties and tasks within the IT department.
- Review completed tasks to ascertain compliance with standards.
- Monitor all team members and provide necessary advice and guidance.
- Perform periodic risk assessments and initiate risk control strategies.
- Coach all team members and motivate them to produce desired results.
- Organize regular seminars and trainings to teach team members new techniques and methods.
- Keep up with trends in the constantly evolving information technology industry.
- Perform regular IT audit to discover areas of weaknesses and fortify them.
- Work alongside other departments to achieve company goals and visions.
- Write and forward regular reports to the management.
- Provide solution to any complex IT related challenges in the organization.
- Perform regular appraisal of team member’s performance and devise strategies to help with improvement.
- Carry out in-depth research to reveal new and better methods of handling functions within the department.
- Ensure that the company’s data and information are protected from unauthorized access.
- Supervise repair and maintenance of all IT gadgets.
Information from the IT team leader job description example above can be employed in creating a resume for the post.
Requirements – Qualities – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the IT Team Leader Position
The basic qualities – skills, knowledge, and abilities expected that IT team leaders should have include the following:
- Ability to listen to his team members and communicate instructions effectively.
- Ability to lead, direct and control team members.
- Ability to handle multiple jobs at the same time.
- In-depth knowledge of computer usage and programming.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to always pay attention to details and encourage team members to do same.
- Ability to take proactive steps in managing problems.
- Must be very security conscious and do all it takes to avoid sensitive data falling into wrong hands.
- Ability to effectively handle stress, pressures, and challenges.
- Have in-depth knowledge of management goals and visions and work in line with team members to achieve them.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.