This post provides complete information on the job description of a district manager with Dollar General, including the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities they are typically charged with.
It also presents the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the district manager’s job at Dollar General or other companies in the same industry.
What Does a Dollar General District Manager Do?
The Dollar General district manager is responsible for overseeing the sales and store operations in their district.
The district manager should analyze the market trends, existing competition among other retail outlets, and customer preferences, as well as developments in technology to ensure that they have an understanding of the market.
The Dollar General district manager job description involves preparing budgets to be used in running their district by making projections of revenues and expenses.
It also entails supervising all store managers, assistant store managers, clerks, stockers etc.
They make suggestions to upper management on ways to improve operations by making suggestions on other ways to increase sales and profits margins.
They research and recommend new items to add to the store’s merchandise.
It is the duty of the district manager at Dollar General to manage employment, disciplining employees, and reporting on performance.
The district manager is in charge of developing plans of action and making sure that all the plans are carried out efficiently.
They seek profitability by monitoring prices, inventory levels, sales numbers, quality and store operating cost so as to maximize the profits of each individual department.
The Dollar General district manager makes sure that all personnel work efficiently enough so as to achieve maximum productivity each day.
Ensuring that all personnel adhere to safety and practice work related rules is a key part of their duties.
They establish and develop good relations with suppliers, customers, and the public to ensure that a good reputation is acquired.
A district manager ensures that all personnel have adequate training which will aid them in their respective duties.
They make sure that merchandise in the store meets high quality standards so as to maintain a good reputation of the company.
They perform inventory control by managing stock levels as well as making sure all losses are minimized.
As a district manager, you have a duty to make report to upper management on the status of the store.
It is among the duties of the Dollar General district manager to analyze the sales reports to find out if any errors are made during transactions, so as to avoid making losses since it will be used in making decisions on what actions need to be taken.
Dollar General District Manager Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The Dollar General district manager job description involves the following duties and responsibilities:
- Ensures that all personnel adhere to safety and practice work related rules
- Develops budget to be use in running the store
- Ensures that all personnel have adequate training, which will aid them in their respective duties
- Devises objectives, formulates plans and executes strategy for optimizing operations according to business plan
- Devises and supervises training schedule for personnel at all levels
- Develops business plans, including pricing policies, market analysis, and customer surveys
- Ensures that merchandise in the store meets high quality standards so as to maintain a good reputation of the company
- Performs sales planning by analyzing point of purchase data, retailer reports, competitor’s advertising expenditures and financial information
- Directs and coordinates activities of employees to achieve company objectives
- Estimates cost of operating expenses, product sales and profit margins
- Examines management reports and keeps apprised of business trends, competitors’ activities and market segmentation
- Interprets financial data such as balance sheets, profit-loss statements, operating budgets, abstracts of payroll data, etc. to management and prepares reports
- Manages and controls employee performance by establishing performance standards, conducting appraisals, ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, handing out discipline/corrective action
- Orders merchandise and supplies
- Participates in developing merchandising plans; selects suppliers of merchandise to be carried
- Prepares and supervises operating budgets for the store
- Devises policies and implements procedures for sales, purchasing and inventory control.
Dollar General District Manager Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a district manager with Dollar General or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume, you can apply the above sample Dollar General district manager job description in making a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume.
By highlighting the Dollar General district manager duties and responsibilities from the above job description sample in your resume’s Professional Experience, you are telling the recruiter/employer that you have been successful working as a district manager with a retail company.
This piece of information can greatly enhance your chances with the recruiter/employer, especially if the new job requires candidates with some district manager work experience in the retail industry.
Dollar General District Manager Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking a district manager job with the Dollar General or other similar companies, here are major requirements you may be expected to fulfill to be hired:
- Ability to do basic accounting functions
- Excellent analytical skills, good decision making and problem solving ability
- High level of integrity and credibility
- Strong leadership qualities, self-motivation, initiative, and a willingness to accept responsibility
- Adaptability, strong communicator, and good public relations skills
- Ability to interact well with people at all levels in the organization, as well as with customers and suppliers (good interpersonal skills)
- Strong enthusiasm and high level of energy for the job
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extensive experience in retailing, sales, marketing and product management is desirable (minimum 2 years)
- Computer literate – Excel- easy to learn; knowledge of PowerPoint is preferred but not essential
- Knowledge of electronic payment systems (A Merchant Solutions provider such as Total Merchant Services) and Payroll services such as Paychex or ADP will be useful
- Good administrative skills – planning, prioritizing, delegating and time management
- Adherence to all government and business regulations
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment and under pressure to meet desired goals
- Knowledge of management, merchandising, and service industry ethics
- Experience in managing teams with up to 15 people
- A well-established company is preferable
- Five or more years minimum experience in the same sector is preferable
- A college degree in Business Administration, Marketing or related field is preferred
Dollar General District Manager Salary
According to salary.com, the starting compensation for a district manager in a company like Dollar General ranges from $70,029 to $106,309, with an average starting income of $84,226.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the district manager career with Dollar General or other similar companies.
They can learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities of district managers in the retail industry and so be able to decide rightly if that’s what they want to do.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers in making detailed description of the district manager’s position for use in hiring competent individuals for the role.
They can apply the sample Dollar General district manager job description provided on this page in making theirs.