This post covers the job description of a data warehouse developer, to help you understand the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly make up the data warehouse developer work description.
It also presents the major requirements you may be asked to meet to be hired for the data warehouse developer role.
What Does a Data Warehouse Developer Do?
A data warehouse developer is responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining data warehouse and analytics architecture to meet an enterprise’s business analysis and reporting needs.
He/she works with architects and business partners to fashion out the technical vision for applications in Customer Data Warehouses employing SSIS, SSRS, and SQL server.
The job description of warehouse developers includes gathering of business requirements and creating architectural designs.
It involves designing, developing, and supporting new and current ETL processes employing industry standards and best practices to enhance loading of data from and into different source/ target systems.
The data warehouse developer’s role in an organization also includes providing support to the organization’s business requirements in the application and consumption of information from the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) or from other suitable source systems.
He/she will be part of the team to review, analyze, modify, and create ETLs, utilizing SSIS, testing, debugging, integration and implementation processes.
His/her tasks will also include documenting technical needs for ETL processes and databases, and ensuring optimal technical infrastructure is utilized.
This position involves the delivering of huge data integration projects and would therefore require leveraging best practices expertise and experience at implementation; as well as effective technology know-how.
The individual holding this position must be able to perform various complex assignments without much supervision; and must be able to carry out training for company and IT staff.
Data Warehouse Developer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Here is an example of a data warehouse developer’s typical job description, consisting of major tasks, duties, and responsibilities he/she is usually charged with in many establishments.
- Consolidate and optimize available data warehouse infrastructure
- Conceive analytics and business intelligence platform architecture for clients, including internal and third-party clients
- Design and implement ETL procedures for intake of data from both internal and outside sources; as well as ensure data is verified and quality is checked
- Design and implement ETL processes and data architecture to ensure proper functioning of analytics lad, as well as client’s or third-party’s reporting environments and dashboard
- Collaborate with business and technology stakeholders in ensuring data warehouse architecture development and utilization
- Carry out monitoring, tuning, and database performance analysis
- Perform the design and extension of data marts, meta data, and data models
- Ensure all data warehouse architecture codes are maintained in a version control system.
Data Warehouse Developer Job Description for Resume
A resume for the position of data warehouse developer can be prepared using the job description sample above to create the employment history section of the resume.
This section highlights the functions and roles of the position, which the individual has shown to have performed or is currently performing, which confirms that he/she is competent for the post.
Data Warehouse Developer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Shown below is a list of attributes, including knowledge, skills, and abilities, which employers and hiring managers usually require individuals vying for the post to possess.
- Possess Bachelor’s degree in an analytical related field, including information technology, science, and engineering discipline
- Five years or more experience performing data warehouse architecture development and management
- Remarkable experience with technologies such as SQL Server 2008, as well as with newer ones like SSIS and stored procedures
- Exceptional experience developing codes, testing for quality assurance, administering RDBMS, and monitoring of database
- High proficiency in dimensional modeling techniques and their applications
- Strong analytical, consultative, and communication skills; as well as the ability to make good judgment and work with both technical and business personnel
- Several years working experience with Tableau, SportFire, TIBCO, QlikView, MicroStrategy, Information Builders, and other reporting and analytical tools
- Working knowledge of SAS and R code used in data processing and modeling tasks
- Remarkable experience with Microsoft Azure and Amazon AWS computing platforms
- Strong experience with Hadoop, Impala, Pig, Hive, YARN, and other “big data” technologies.