BJ’s Hiring Process: Job Application, Interviews, and Employment
The hiring process at BJ’s consists of various stages, including job application and interview where you will be expected to answer certain questions to prove why you should be employed by the Company.
This post provides exhaustive information on the recruitment process at BJ’s to guide you in effectively gaining employment with the company.
Please, continue reading:
BJ’s Company Overview
BJ’s, formally known as BJ’s wholesale club holdings, Inc. is a revered warehouse club chain for membership only, which operates on the East Coast of America, as well as the states of Michigan and Ohio.
The company started out in 1984 having only a few locations and members. However, it currently owns and operates more than 200 clubs in at least 16 states.
Even though BJ’s has some pretty tough competitors in the retail market, which include Costco Wholesale and Sam’s club, the company still thrives and earns the respect of its customers.
Moreover, this American establishment is an employer to more than 25,000 persons and the management ensures that various benefits are offered to staffs.
The BJ’s Hiring Process
The BJ’s hiring process for recruiting staffs is not a complex but easy procedure just like many other related companies.
Here are the typical aspects of the hiring process:
- Job Application Process
To get employed by this company, you need to go straight to their careers/jobs portal online, create a candidate account, and then apply for your preferred job by filling the application form that would be presented to you.
It is advised to provide honest information about your educational background, former work experience, and any personal reference when filling the application form.
As an applicant, you should be ready to answer a few questions before you can complete the application process.
You can add your resume or CV to the application form, although it’s optional.
After your application has been submitted, you can log in to your applicant account to check your application progress from time to time, until you hear from the recruiters.
2. Interview Process
BJ’s interview is the next stage of the hiring process and is almost the same interview conducted by other retailers in the United States.
After a hiring manager has reviewed a candidate’s application and finds such person qualified, an interview invitation will be sent to him/her.
The typical formal interview conducted at one of BJ’s head offices, doesn’t last more than 30 minutes.
However, it tends to be a difficult experience for most candidates, especially for individuals seeking for managerial roles.
During the interview, you will be asked to provide more details about the information you gave when you were completing your application process earlier on.
You will be faced with slightly tricky questions that are normally asked in BJ’s interview.
Also, be ready to answer varieties of questions regarding your personality, expertise, education, and former working experience.
Here are some common BJ’s interview questions you may be asked:
- Can you tell me why you would like to be employed in this company?
- What plans do you have for the future regarding your career?
- Why are you no longer interested in your current workplace/job?
- Tell me about your retail experience if you’ve had any.
- Do you wish to work for BJ’s for very long time, or you prefer being a temporary worker?
Regardless of the position you are applying for at BJ’s, making intensive preparation for the interview is highly recommended.
Below are some tips you may need to ace the interview:
- During the interview, try as much as possible to stay calm. Your interviewer shouldn’t notice that you are nervous.
- As a candidate, you should be friendly always. A positive attitude is very important in working for any department store.
- Dress appropriately. Not wearing the right or proper attire for an interview at BJ’s can lead to disqualification.
- Don’t look away from your interviewer. Try to maintain eye contact always.
- When your interviewer speaks, don’t interrupt.
3. What is the Duration of BJ’s Hiring Process?
Normally, after applicants have been interviewed, hearing back from the recruiters is one thing that most people are skeptical about.
At BJ’s, the Human Resources department is responsible for recruitment and interviewees usually receive a message from the HR team within three days to a week after the interview has been conducted.
4. Background Checks
After you have successfully passed the interview stage, your employment offer won’t be finalized until BJ’s conducts a background check on you.
A background check is not a new or phenomenal practice. Virtually every standard organization performs it when recruiting employees. A background check is what helps the HR department to ensure that a responsible, decent, and meek individual is hired into the workforce.
As a candidate, especially when applying for a managerial position, BJ’s would thoroughly check for anything in your past that pertains to felony.
You would be expected to have a clean record without any involvement in criminality.
Signing for the BJ’s background check, as well as passing it successfully guarantees your job offer.
BJ’s Jobs and Careers
Below are some of the most common positions at BJ’s:
- Stock Clerk: The primary responsibility of this role is transferring goods/products from the stockroom and storage environment to store shelves. He/she is also assigned to display products appropriately and direct customers to the product they want to purchase, as well as ensuring the store is clean.
- Cashier: This employee is mainly responsible for welcoming customers, ringing purchases, and providing answers to various questions regarding BJ’s product and services. A cashier is expected to be always friendly, polite, and tolerant in order to serve customers competently.
- Manager: This position is responsible for overseeing and supervising entry-level staffs and preparing schedules. The manager’s presence within the store is very significant, resolving customers’ issues as they arise. Sometimes, he/she is in charge of recruiting new personnel and conducting new hire training.
- Ticketer: This role sometimes performs the duties of a stock associate, making sure merchandise are replenished and well displayed. He/she is responsible for maintaining different segments of the store and offering general housekeeping as well. A ticketer is expected to be always healthy and agile since the role most times requires lifting, bending, and being mobile throughout every shift.
What to Expect Working at BJ’s
As an employee at BJ’s, you will be able to access almost everything you need. The company provides countless opportunities for career advancement and incredible earning potential.
You will be lucky to get acquainted with wonderful team members, and the management usually acknowledges and rewards diligence.
Moreover, BJ’s workers enjoy flexible work life, paid holidays (qualified staffs only), sick time, and even discounts on the company’s products.
However, if you are a part time-worker, you may be able to access most of these benefits. BJ’s prioritizes the full-time workers over employees who are working part-time.
BJ’s is a company that is willing to receive job applications from any job seeker, regardless of race, religion, age, color, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, and gender identity.
Therefore, as an applicant, the only thing you need to be bothered about is meeting the requirements of the role, and nothing else.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.