This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of an anesthesia technician, to help you learn the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly make up the anesthesia technician work description.
It also presents the major requirements you might be asked to fulfill to be hired for the anesthesia technician role, as well as the salary expectation for the position.
Please, read on:
What Does an Anesthesia Technician Do?
The Anesthesia technician is responsible for assisting the anesthesiologist during anesthesia procedures.
This includes monitoring vital signs such as blood pressure, pulse rate, respiration rate, temperature, etc.
They are also responsible for preparing patients for surgery by cleaning them up, checking their vitals, and giving them medications.
The technician has a duty to ensure that all equipment is functioning properly before each procedure.
They have to make sure that the operating room is clean and sterile before every patient enters it.
As an anesthesia technician, you must maintain the proper levels of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the operating theater.
The anesthesia technician job description involves recording and documenting any unusual events or occurrences which may occur during a surgical operation.
It also entails providing assistance with the preparation of the anesthesia machine and other medical devices used during the surgical procedure.
It is the duty of the anesthesia technician to operate the machines, monitors, and other equipment used during the surgical procedure and help the surgeon when needed.
They assist the surgeons in case of emergencies during the surgical procedure.
In addition they have to monitor the patient’s condition and report any changes to the anesthesiologist.
They have to prepare the patient for recovery from anesthesia after the surgery.
They have to check the patient’s vital signs and report any abnormalities to the anesthesiologist immediately.
It is the duty of the anesthesia technician to be updated with new developments in the field of medicine.
They have to follow the safety protocols set by the hospital.
Anesthesia technicians work closely with anesthesiologists and nurses and are responsible for maintaining the quality of care provided to patients undergoing anesthesia.
They observe and report any evidence of negligence or malpractice committed by the anesthesiologist.
They make sure that the operating room environment is safe for both the patient and the staff, and are required to perform routine maintenance tasks such as cleaning the operating rooms, sterilizing instruments, and disinfecting surfaces.
It is part of the anesthesia technician duties to train and educate others in the use of anesthesia machines and related equipment.
Anesthesia Technician Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The anesthesia technician job description typically involves the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Prepare medications for administration to patients
- Monitor patient’s vital signs during surgery or other procedures
- Assist physicians with administering anesthesia
- Perform various tasks related to anesthesia such as monitoring equipment, preparing drugs, etc.
- Keep records of all activities performed by an anesthesia technician
- Provide technical support to physicians and nurses during surgical procedures
- Maintain equipment used in anesthesia
- Report any changes in patients’ condition
- Ensure that the correct medication is administered to the right patient at the right time
- Help prepare the operating room (OR) before surgeries start
- Be available to assist surgeons, physicians, and nurses when needed
- Assist doctors and nurses with cleaning up after surgeries
- Assess patients’ needs and provide care accordingly
- Follow the doctor’s orders and instructions
- Record and document all events occurring during the procedure
- Make sure that the OR is clean and sterile before each operation starts
- Check the status of the anesthesia machine
- Clean and disinfect instruments and equipment
- Prepare solutions, syringes, and IV fluids
- Assist with preparation of anesthesia machines
- Observe and report any abnormalities in the functioning of anesthesia machines
- Monitor patients’ vital signs
- Administer oxygen through nasal cannula
- Adjust ventilator settings
- Monitor the patient’s heart rate, blood pressure, breathing patterns, skin color, and body temperature
- Monitor the patient‘s pulse oximeter readings
- Monitor the patient’s ECG
- Monitor the patient’s blood pressure
- Assist the physician with positioning of the patient.
Anesthesia Technician Job Description for Resume
If you are writing a new resume as someone who has worked before in the role of an anesthesia technician or are presently working in that position, you can make a compelling Professional Experience section for the resume by applying the sample anesthesia technician job description above.
You can highlight the duties and responsibilities of the anesthesia technician provided in the above job description sample in your resume’s Professional Experience section.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you will be successful on the new job, especially if the new position requires someone with some anesthesia technician work experience.
Anesthesia Technician Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as an anesthesia technician, here are major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired:
- Must be able to work in a hospital environment
- Knowledge of medical terminology and pharmacology
- Ability to work under stressful conditions
- Must be able to follow directions and maintain confidentiality
- Must be able perform repetitive motions
- Must be able sit/stand for long periods of time
- Must be comfortable working in a high stress environment
- Must be able handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Must be able work independently
- Must be able multi-task
- Must be able deal with interruptions
- Must be able communicate effectively
- Must be able adapt to change
- Must be able cope with ambiguity
- Must be able prioritize workload
- Must be able manage competing priorities
- Must be able tolerate noise
- Must be able work overtime
- Must be able travel overnight
- Must be able stay late hours
- Must be able be on call 24/7
- Must be able to take direction from others
- Must be able accept criticism
- Must be willing to work overtime
- Must have good interpersonal skills
- Must be able demonstrate empathy
- Must be able show compassion
- Must be able respect privacy
- Must be able maintain confidentiality.
Anesthesia Technician Salary
According to Salary.com, the starting pay for anesthesia technicians ranges from $39,004 to $50,360, with a basic compensation of $43,960 on average.
This post is useful to individuals interested in the anesthesia technician career, who desire to learn all about the duties and responsibilities they perform.
It is also helpful to recruiters/employers who are looking to find and hire competent individuals for the vacant anesthesia technician position in their health facilities.
They can apply the anesthesia technician job description example provided on this page in making an effective description of the role for use in their hiring process.