This post presents detailed information on the job description of an accounting and reporting analyst, including the tasks, duties, and responsibilities they carry out.
What Does an Accounting and Reporting Analyst Do?
Accounting and reporting analysts are responsible for preparing, analyzing, and reviewing transactions, financial data, and reports for their organizations, including providing data that may be requested without notice.
The job description of individuals holding this post will also entail finding out ways of re-engineering current accounting process and reports; and managing control between the platforms to make sure data integrity is maintained.
Other duties include maintaining the general ledger, which involves tasks such as preparing journal entries, supporting month end close process, and reconciling and analyzing accounts.
Their role also includes preparing and presenting financial data for review to management for making the right decisions.
In many organizations, accounting and reporting analysts report to the accounting director or the financial director, and will also be expected to assist internal and external audit process by researching and analyzing financial information needed for auditing work.
Creating financial modeling and pro formas is also part of the job description of this position, including the development of supporting tools.
This professional will also be in charge of carrying out operational reporting, developing dashboards, key performance metrics, and trend analysis.
To succeed in this position, the individual would need to demonstrate high degree of integrity, and be committed to taking responsibility for their actions.
He/she must be able to meet targets and achieve results, and have the ability to inspire and encourage those that work with him/her to succeed on their assignments.
Accounting and Reporting Analyst Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Shown below is an example of the job description for the post of the accounting and reporting analyst. It shows a list of vital duties, tasks, and responsibilities the individual in charge of executing accounting and financial reporting duties for a company would be expected to perform.
- Prepare and record journal entries to back up the monthly and the quarterly GAAP, and Statutory close
- Review reconciliations for Statutory accounts and GAAP
- Prepare Statutory reporting on a quarterly and annual basis for a Life Insurance Legal Entity in the US.
- Calculate and show RBC estimates
- Show the Insurance Entity’s Statutory Results, as well as its Analytics reports
- Create the Summary of Operations and Cash Flow for an Insurance Entity, as well as its Statement of Assets, Surplus, Liabilities, and Other Funds
- Draft footnotes for the creation of quarterly and annual statutory account statements
- Prepare several Supplemental filings for March and April
- Draft relevant footnotes to create Statutory audited financial statements
- Create Schedule 6 analytics
- Perform several schedules and Treasury accounting journal entries
- Provide external auditors with supporting documents
- Work closely with several suppliers, both internal and independent firms
- Document knowledge of the workings of a Life Insurance Legal Entity to serve as a future reference material
- Ensure adhoc requests are met.
Accounting and Reporting Analyst Job Description for Resume
The accounting and reporting analyst’s job description sample given above provides vital information that can be used in preparing the job experience section of the resume for the position.
This part of the resume highlights the functions of the position which the individual has performed or is currently performing, which assure the employer that the applicant is competent to play the role effectively if hired.
Accounting and Reporting Analyst Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
To perform the role of accounting and reporting analyst effectively, the following skills, knowledge, and abilities are normally expected for the individuals aspiring to this position to have:
- A Bachelor’s degree obtainable in accounting, finance, or other related discipline, with prior experience in financial reporting
- Ability to give detailed attention to projects
- Exceptional proficiency working with Excel, including working with pivot tables, formula’s, HLOOKUPS, VLOOKUPS
- Proficient in the use of PowerPoint, Word, Access, Excel, and other Microsoft Office Applications to create documents and reports, etc.
- Strong experience with query applying MS Office Studio, SOL, OR PL/SQL developer
- Exceptional multitasking skills, including the ability manage several competing priorities at the same time
- Strong ability to communicate with staff, management, and the public, in writing and in verbal format
- Strong knowledge and skills in performing financial analysis, as well as in solving problems
- Energetic and self-motivated, and the ability to work independently yet achieve set goals and targets within deadlines.