Top 15 Warehouse Skills and Qualities to be best on the Job
If you are an employee in the warehouse industry, whether as a worker or manager, you will need to have certain skills to be effective on the job.
This post shows you the important qualities and skills you need to develop to deliver best performance and succeed in the warehousing career.
15 Warehouse Skills and Qualities for Top Performing Employees
1. Communication. Most jobs involve interacting with employers, coworkers, and clients. So also does warehousing jobs requiring engagement with people in person, on the phone, email, letter, or any other means people can communicate with.
At interviews, what employers look for are candidates with strong oral and written communication skills. They want to hire people who can speak and write distinctly, perfectly, and professionally. Your communication must be accurate, easy to understand and appropriate, so as to stand a better chance of getting employed.
2. Computer Literacy and Technology Skills. For skilled warehouse job positions up to management roles, employers generally expect you to have a basic understanding of how to use a computer, and knowledge about certain applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and Spreadsheets.
You must not be a computer wizard to be able to perform warehousing duties effectively, but you should know your way around computers and the modern technology available in the industry.
Most operations that used to require warehouse managers to ensure the flow of goods manually have these days been modernized, so that they can utilize ERP or WMS for easier operations.
Some of the technological tools managers now use include warehouse control systems, voice and light directed picking systems, barcode systems, safety software, and automated equipment.
To move forward in your career, you need to constantly be in touch with new technologies such as voice systems, blockchain systems, robotics, drones, and more.
3. Teamwork. The ability to work in a team is vital in the warehouse profession, and you will make a better employee having this skill set. You should be able to emphasize your ability to work with colleagues to accomplish tasks. The ability to work with a team will help you work and interact professionally with others in your department, and you will see yourself making progress in your career.
4. Problem-solving Skills. With the ability to solve problems, you will make a good employee to any person who hires you as a warehouse worker. Even if you work in an environment where you are expected to follow instructions to solve problems, you still need to have the skills to solve problems to help you perform your job better. The type of employees most employers look for are those who can use analysis and reasoning skills to solve difficult problems.
5. Dependability. There are some things you will do as a warehouse worker and you will be seen as being dependable. Because your employer needs someone who can be more productive to their company, you don’t need to socialize during your shift, endanger your fellow workers, and make an unnecessary mistake so that you can gain the trust of your employer.
6. Flexibility. For you to succeed as a warehouse worker you need to be flexible and work across many departments as the case may be. You also need the ability and willingness to handle a flexible work environment in various and ever-changing warehouse environments. When you are flexible, you can easily move around the work setting and make both your employer and colleagues happy.
7. Learning Skills. It is important for warehouse employees to acquire learning skills in order to expand their skill set and knowledge and improve on the job. They need to be fast at learning about certain types of materials, equipment, etc. for better professional achievements.
8. Punctuality. Being to work on time is important in all professions, especially in the warehouse occupation so that productivity levels can stay high. Showing up on time or coming early to interview is an indication that you will be punctual if you are employed to work as a warehouse worker.
9. Decision-making Skills. It is essential to be able to make decisions effectively when you are working in a warehouse department. The ability to make quick decisions requires the implementation of critical thinking and problem solving skills together. Making the right decisions at the appropriate time will help you attain greater heights in your career, and you will not have to depend on anybody for solution to problems.
10. Organization. All warehouse workers are supposed to be as organized as they can be, as they are likely to be tasked with taking inventory of products. The warehouse worker should be able to organize or arrange products according to the standards of his/her employer. Organizational skills will help you keep track of items and their locations, and you will have the ability to recognize any inconsistency.
11. Speed. Speed is one of the most vital skills required when working in a warehouse. It will help you to be more productive and effective in order to make more money for the company you work with. The reward of excellent performance is immense and it will motivate you to work harder.
12. Accuracy. Being accurate at work helps you to avoid errors that might cost the company a lot to fix. While being accurate, you can also apply speed for better performance. You can work very fast but make sure that you double-check your work to help you to be accurate.
13. Self-Discipline. Self-disciplined workers are trusted to work independently, and they should be able to work with minimal supervision. Part of self-discipline includes the ability to come to work on time, stick to duties, and handle necessary tasks without regular command from the management.
14. Integrity. An honest warehouse worker does not think of how to steal the company’s property or money. Many employees steal from their employers and this has led to increased losses of company’s revenue. A survey of more than 20 of the largest number of retailers found that they witnessed more than $50 million in losses related to employee theft. You should rather be different and uphold integrity to make your employer to trust you.
15. Prioritization Skills. Your ability to prioritize assigned duties will help you when you are confronted with multiple tasks that must be completed at a set time with little or no error recorded. This skill set is most dominant when a truck needs to leave at a certain time and all orders are expected to be on it before leaving. In such a situation, you may be asked to abandon momentarily whatever you are doing and help with more pressing tasks to be able to meet the deadline.
Warehouse Skills and Qualities for Resume
If you are making a resume for a warehouse job, you can create a good core competence or skills section that gets the recruiter’s attention by applying the warehouse skills and qualities provided above.
A good skills section will give a boost to your resume as recruiters can see that you have the skills and qualities they are looking for in the person they want to hire for the warehouse position.
If you are a warehouse worker, manager, or hold other position in the industry and want to get better on your job, the skills and qualities highlighted in this post are recommended for you to have.
Also, if you are a hiring for a warehouse position and need to find the best person for the job, you can include the qualities and skills provided in this post in the list of job requirements for applicants to meet before they are considered for the role.
Did you find the above warehouse skills and qualities helpful to become better on the job? Please, leave a comment in the box below. Do also share additional skills you have found useful if you work in the warehouse industry.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.