This post provides detailed information on the assistant daycare teacher job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they commonly perform.
It also highlights the major requirements you may be expected to meet to be hired for the assistant daycare teacher role.
What Does an Assistant Daycare Teacher Do?
An assistant daycare teacher is responsible for supervision of programs and activities, including the administration of programs and procedures for the safe, effective, and appropriate use of a daycare facility.
The assistant daycare teacher job description involves supervising children and families who visit the daycare facility.
It also entails ensuring that the facility is maintained so that it is safe, sanitized, and functional, and in compliance with all applicable laws which relate to child-rearing and care programs.
Assistant daycare teachers make sure that the daycare facility is clean and orderly at all times, (i.e., the area must be free of clutter, in order to promote a safe environment).
They work out an emergency plan that ensures the safety of lives and minimal damage in case of an emergency, (e.g., fire).
It is the job of the assistant daycare teacher to effect discipline and control of children, making sure that they are not allowed to use inappropriate language or be disruptive while they are playing or during activities which do not include games or play.
One of their duties involves taking good care of the children in the facility, following all rules set by their employer and making sure that children eat healthy meals and sleep well at night.
The assistant daycare teacher work description also entails taking part in the development and implementation of curriculum-based programs, as well as being involved in the evaluation of these.
It also includes assisting with the preparation of the budget and maintaining it once approved.
Assistant daycare teachers keep careful records and notes on all that take place within the facility, including information about any accidents or incidents.
They prepare reports at any time, especially in case of an investigation regarding an accident or incident which occurred within the facility (e.g., a dispute between two parents).
Assistant Daycare Teacher Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The assistant daycare teacher job description consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Supervises the activities of children in a daycare center
- Provides basic social and emotional skills to the children
- Helps monitor sick or injured preschoolers
- Prepares snacks and refreshments for the children during the teaching session
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness and neatness of the unit by making sure that garbage is disposed properly and keeping it picked up on a regular basis
- Prepares play materials, toys, etc. in accordance with the birthday party plan or any holiday program being planned by the parents
- Maintains record of every child who has enrolled in the center, including their physical characteristics, birth date, etc.
- Assists the teacher when necessary for classroom lectures or presentations like showing slides or instructing the children during science experiments, etc.
- May be assigned to supervise and coordinate special projects arranged by parents, such as sports lessons, art or craft related programs or excursions
- Helps in getting materials and supplies needed in the center that comes from outside sources
- Assists in implementing additional programs and activities to provide learning experiences
- Assists in cleaning up the daycare center before clocking out of work so that proper housekeeping is maintained at all times
- Helps clean classroom, bathroom, kitchen or any other area as may be assigned by the teacher.
Assistant Daycare Teacher Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before in the position of an assistant daycare teacher or are presently working in that role and need to make a new resume or CV, then you can craft a compelling Professional Experience section for your resume by applying the sample assistant daycare teacher job description provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are currently carrying out as an assistant daycare teacher in your resume’s Professional Experience by utilizing the assistant daycare teacher job description example provided above.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been effective performing the duties of an assistant daycare teacher, which can greatly enhance your chances of being hired, especially if the new position you are applying for requires someone with some assistant daycare teacher work experience.
Assistant Daycare Teacher Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements you may be asked to fulfill if you are applying for the assistant daycare teacher job:
- Must be 18 years old or older to apply for the position
- High school diploma or equivalent diploma
- A license in the state where you wish to work from
- Physically fit and should be able to hold at least 50 pound child
- Strong interpersonal skills or good communication skills as you will be required to interact with parents most of the times
- Good organizational skills as you will be required to maintain proper files and other paperwork when you start working
- Ability to take initiative while working and how to delegate responsibilities in order to facilitate smooth execution of daily responsibilities
- Possess self-discipline as you will be required to follow rules and regulations set in place by the school
- Ability to take directions, especially those given by superiors, and to be flexible and be able to adjust yourself according to new situations in order to fulfill the duties assigned by employers
- Child care experience is not required but having worked with children before is a plus
- Ability to work under pressure and work on your own without constant supervision
- Good team player’s attitude as you will be working under the guidance and supervision of teachers and other qualified personnel
- Own transportation to get to work, just like the teachers
- Good interpersonal skills as you will be required to interact with fellow coworkers or supervisors on a regular basis
- Possess basic knowledge of first aid and infant/child CPR.
Assistant Daycare Teacher Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for an assistant daycare teacher in the United States is $26,618 per year.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the assistant daycare teacher career.
They will be able to learn all they need to know about the assistant daycare teacher duties and responsibilities to decide if it’s the job they want to do.
It is also beneficial to recruiters/employers in making a detailed job description for the assistant daycare teacher position in their organizations.