Software Engineer Salary in Hawaii and How to Increase It
The software engineer salary in Hawaii is estimated at $87,560 yearly.
This post presents complete information on the salary of software engineers in Hawaii and how to increase it, including the cities and companies that pay the highest salaries in Hawaii.
Please, read on:
Software engineers in Hawaii earn the same as the national average for software engineers in the US; salaries typically start from $85,000 and may rise to $91,638 yearly and even more, including a $4000 added as bonuses.
With a 196.3% cost of living, Hawaii is the most costly US State to live and work in, including for software engineers.
Software Engineer Salary across the State of Hawaii
Pearl City, Ewa Gentry, and Hilo are amongst the cities paying software engineers high in the State of Hawaii, with salaries topping as high as $110,000 yearly.
The lowest city in the State of Hawaii that pays the least for software engineers is the city of Mililani $86,349, even at that it still pays more than some cities in other States.
Highest Paying Cities for Software Engineers in Hawaii
Listed below are the cities in the State of Hawaii where software engineers are paid higher salaries:
|City||Salary Yearly ($)|
Software Engineer Salary Based on Skill in Hawaii
A good set of skills is needed to help improve your salary as a software engineer working in Hawaii.
Some skills pay higher than others, and the most sought after skill set earns the highest salaries and compensations.
Here are some of the most sought after software engineering skills in Hawaii:
- Scala: earns 24.30% more yearly, which is $22,268.
- OS Kernels: takes home 17.55%, which earns $16,082 more yearly.
- Big Data: rakes home 17.38%, earns $15,926 annually.
- Microservices: takes 16.13%, earns $14,781 more annually.
- Machine Learning: annually gets 11.71%, which is $10,730.
- Data Structure: annually gets 10.99%, which is $10,071 added on.
Software Engineer Salary Based on Experience in Hawaii
Software engineers are not paid the same salary across board in Hawaii. The salary varies as the number of years on the job varies also.
The more years on the job, the higher the pay; based on this, we have highlighted below the salary range for software engineers in Hawaii based on years of experience on the job:
- Less than one year earns $78,857 annually.
- 1 – 2 years earns $81,018 annually.
- 3 – 5 years takes an annual pay of $90,000.
- 6 – 9 years rakes in $92,668 yearly.
- 10 + takes an annual pay of $106,166.
Top 10 Paying Companies for Software Engineers in Hawaii
The table below shows the top paying companies for software engineering jobs in Hawaii:
|Company||Yearly Salary ($)|
More Benefits for Software Engineer in Hawaii
Benefits are attached to the job of a software engineer in Hawaii. Some software engineering jobs come with long lasting benefits that in the long run the engineer enjoys fully in form of cash or incentives.
These benefits include:
- Cash bonus. These are not limited to monetary issues alone but comprise other benefits like relocation assistance, gym membership, vision assistance, and commuter assistance.
- Stock benefits. Stocks may be issued to software engineers by the company they work for in Hawaii, which may later be translated into cash incentives. Stocks may be issued to an engineer at the beginning of their career and are rewarded as the company declares its profit yearly.
- Long term incentives. Long term benefits are what every software engineer gets for working in a company. They are lined out in the salary of the engineer who gets it at the end of their career in service.
What Related Job Titles to Software Engineer Earn in the State of Hawaii
Certain jobs are related to the software engineering career and some of these jobs earn more or less than the software engineer.
Here are some of the related jobs titles to software engineering and what salary they get yearly:
- Backend Developer gross annually $103,945.
- Full Stack Developer earns $99,157 annually.
- Application Developer earns $96,296 annually.
- Software Developer takes $84,382 home yearly.
- Developer earns $61,681 annually.
- Front End Developer takes $56,238 annually home.
Software Engineer Job and Salary Outlook in Hawaii
Hawaii has the highest ratio of living standards across the entire US (196.3%) while the software engineer earns $87,560 yearly.
Living cost runs at 0.80 – 1.25, which is 196.3% while the annual salary for software engineers is $87,560.
The State of Hawaii is not expected to see an upsurge in high tech companies soon due to the high cost of living.
Salary projection for software engineers in Hawaii is not likely to be on the increase but rather may remain stagnant.
Hawaii may be considered the right place to work for an aspiring software engineer who does not mind the high cost of living.
However, if you are hoping to make high salary and save lots of money as a software engineer, then Hawaii may not be the best State to live due to the high cost of living there.
How to Increase Your Salary as a Software Engineer in the State of Hawaii
The high cost of living in Hawaii makes it important that software engineers in the State look for ways and means to increase their salaries, otherwise they will not be able to have good savings.
Here are ways software engineers in Hawaii can increase their salaries:
- Get more education. A good education is an asset to a software engineer in Hawaii. So, get a good relevant degree and increase your chances of getting the big jobs in the industry.
- Get more skills. Apart from getting a good and relevant degree, a good set of soft and technical skills will stand you out from the crowd as a software engineer in Hawaii.
- Relocate to another city. Moving to a high paying city in Hawaii is another way of increasing your salary as a software engineer. Your present city might not be paying high on the scale, but nearby cities may, so relocate.
- Work for companies paying high. Also working for high paying companies in Hawaii can help you get an increase in pay as a software engineer.
- Relate with people in other professions. A good network of professional friends in diverse areas in Hawaii can help you get high paying software engineering jobs.
More Career Opportunities for Software Engineers in Hawaii
Software engineers can engage in other careers that are related to their career path.
Listed below are some of the careers that software engineers can explore in Hawaii by utilizing their skills and experience, and their yearly salary estimates:
- Security manager takes $129,000 yearly as salary.
- Computer and information system manager earns $123,122 yearly.
- Software architect earns $116,131.
- Embedded software engineer earns a salary of $81,702 yearly.
- Network engineer earns $80,000 salary yearly.
Hawaii is the number one highest State in the US as per living cost, 196.3%; with a $91,638 per annual salary for software engineers, working in Hawaii becomes very difficult.
The software engineer can make a good salary in Hawaii, however, putting into consideration the cost of living in the State, Hawaii may not be the best State for a software engineer to work and live in.