This post provides detailed information on the catering assistant job description, including the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities they typically perform.
It also highlights the major requirements to meet to be hired for the catering assistant role by most employers/recruiters.
What Does a Catering Assistant Do?
A catering assistant is responsible for food preparation and serving in the catering area.
The catering assistant job description entails cleaning the kitchen area and equipment, making food display, and arranging table settings.
It also involves taking charge of inventory in the kitchen area and handling of food products.
Catering assistants clean the serving trays and utensils used in food preparation and serving processes.
They make sure that the catering equipment is functioning well.
Catering assistants are in charge of storing food products and supplies.
One of their duties involves helping management when planning, organizing, and running food events on a regular basis.
Additionally, they also act as a host when needed in events, such as birthday parties and dinners.
The catering assistant work description also involves arranging the service of food items to different customers in accordance with the menu prepared by management of a particular event or function related to food preparation and serving processes.
These items may include baked product, raw product such as bread, pastry bread sticks, cakes, and cookies.
It is also their duty to organize the kitchen to do certain tasks related to food preparation and serving.
The catering assistant ensures that appropriate cleaning products and toiletries are placed in the bathrooms, kitchen area, and other areas of the premises to ensure that clean and hygienic conditions are maintained at all times of business activities.
This position takes care of repairs and maintenance of equipment and appliances used in food preparation on a regular basis, such as ovens, microwaves, and cooling units.
Catering Assistant Job Description Sample/Example/Template
The catering assistant job description commonly consists of the following duties, tasks, and responsibilities:
- Prepares packing list, pricing and notification of items to be delivered
- Greets patrons in person or by telephone, and fills orders for the preparation of food items by the kitchen staff
- Keeps supply of clean linens and glassware replenished
- Unpacks and counts supplies of food to ensure that quantities are correct in relation to price quotations, delivery slips, etc., before placing them in stockroom or storeroom cabinets
- Places new or repaired equipment back into service, using hand tools as needed; arranges for repair work through proper channels
- Gives complete list of items to be delivered to kitchen, maintaining accurate records as to quantities
- Handles delivery of food and drinks via cart or truck when called upon to do so; places articles on the floor cart or truck after verifying the type, quantity and price of each order
- Prepares cash register tape for delivery or sales slips in accordance with instructions; verifies that accounts are correct before submitting them to the main office
- Keeps records for job location, adding new records as necessary
- Records prices of items sold on sales slips, using calculator
- Charges shipping and delivery fee to customers
- Assists in inventory of stock on hand, using computer listings or by manual counting; records findings and adjusts inventory accordingly
- Keeps work area clean and in order, throwing away trash and cleaning up spilled materials as needed; washes appliances when necessary
- Ensures that all food items prepared and served at the location are properly labeled with the same name, product name and price
- Prepares goods, specialties, desserts and soft drinks for storage in refrigerators
- Serves patrons in person or by telephone
- Verifies that goods ordered by patrons are correct in quantity, quality, and price
- Cleans and maintains dishware, utensils, tables and chairs for use in food preparation
- Sets out all public eating areas on a daily basis to prevent disrepair or trash accumulation
- Cleans area prior to leaving on shift
- Carries out work as directed by management to keep work area clean and orderly.
Catering Assistant Job Description for Resume
If you have worked as a catering assistant before or are currently working in that role and are making a new resume or CV, then you can create an effective Professional Experience for your resume by applying the sample catering assistant job description provided above.
You can express the duties and responsibilities you have carried out or are presently performing as a catering assistant in the Professional Experience section of your resume by utilizing the ones provided in the above catering assistant job description example.
This will show to the recruiter/employer that you have been successful performing the catering assistant duties and responsibilities, which can greatly enhance your chances of being hired for the new position that you are seeking, especially if it requires someone with some catering assistant work experience.
Catering Assistant Requirements: Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
Here are important requirements that you may be asked to fulfill to be hired for the catering assistant role by most recruiters/employers:
- Ability to read and write, to take down orders
- Can count in order to record items sold on sales slips
- Ability to keep records for the order location
- Quick learner, in order to manage the business well
- Hard worker, in order to handle the job requirements
- Able to work on weekends and holidays
- Good memory, in order to remember purchase prices of the products
- Able to work without supervision, in order to have a better chance at the job
- Knowledge of computer, in order to train the system for new items sold on the orders
- Able to manage time effectively (to deliver products as early as possible)
- Can work in fast pace environment
- Able to multitask (preparing dishes, cleaning up after and arranging for new setups for service)
- Work well under pressure
- Able to deliver outside of normal working hours (especially with late night orders from restaurants)
Catering Assistant Salary
According to Glassdoor, the national average compensation for a catering assistant in the United States is $32,671 per year.
The catering assistant is responsible for performing a variety of tasks in the fulfillment of delivering various food products to customers who require them, especially during catering events and functions.
This post is helpful to individuals interested in the catering assistant career. They will be able to learn all they need to know about the duties and responsibilities commonly carried out by catering assistants to decide if that is the job they want to do.
It is also useful to recruiters/employers in making detailed job description for the catering assistant position in their organizations for use in hiring for the role.