Walgreens Pharmacy Technician Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the Walgreens pharmacy technician job description, to help increase your knowledge of the work they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the work description of a pharmacy technician at Walgreens.
It also presents important requirements you may be expected to fulfill if you are seeking to work as a pharmacy technician with Walgreens or other like companies.
Please, continue reading:
What Does a Walgreens Pharmacy Technician Do?
A pharmacy technician at Walgreens interacts with customers and builds strong patient relationships.
They are responsible for assisting the pharmacist in his/her practice under direct supervision.
They help the pharmacist to perform assigned pharmacy duties in accordance with the company policies and procedures.
They are responsible for using pharmacy systems to process prescriptions and obtain patient and drug information.
Walgreens pharmacy technicians deliver a great customer experience to their customers.
Walgreens Pharmacy Technician Job Description Example/Template/Sample
The Walgreens pharmacy technician job description consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Obtains process prescriptions and patient and drug information using pharmacy systems
- Assists with and also coaches pharmacy technicians in pharmacy systems operations and coaches cashiers in the operation of pharmacy cash registers
- Delivers a unique, delightful, and distinctive customer experience
- Engages all patients and customers by greeting them and also assisting them with products and services
- Resolves the issues that customers may have and answers their questions to guarantee a positive customer experience
- Develops a very strong relationship with every single customer
- Assists in pharmacy practice in accordance with federal and state laws as well as company policies under the supervision of the pharmacist
- Ensures that all team members comply with the Pharmacy Code of Conduct of Walgreen Co.
- Performs the duties assigned by the staff pharmacist, the pharmacy manager, and the store manager, including utilizing pharmacy systems to entering patient and drug information, filling prescriptions by retrieving, ensuring that information is entered correctly, verifying that the medicine is correct, counting and pouring pharmaceutical drugs, and checking for possible interactions by utilizing pharmacy systems
- Helps the pharmacist schedule and maintain workflow
- Immediately reports errors in prescription to the pharmacist on duty and adheres to the policies and procedures of the company in relation to pharmacy errors and to the Quality Improvement Program
- Adheres strictly to the Walgreen Co. policy with regards to Good Faith Dispensing during all prescription dispensing activities
- Accountable and responsible for registering all related sales on the assigned cash register and also collects and handles cash when needed
- Takes customers to the OTC aisle when possible to assist them in locating products
- Handles telephone calls that don’t require the personal attention of the pharmacist
- Effectively processes (corrects and resubmits) all manual claims for 3rd party program prescription services in an efficient and timely manner, and also performs other clerical duties assigned by the Pharmacy Manager
- Supports and aids the Pharmacy Department on inventory management activities, like unpacking, ordering, checking, and storing shipment of pharmaceuticals
- Files claims for order errors, warehouse overages (merchandise that is received, but not billed), shortages (merchandise billed, but not received), or damaged goods involving prescription drugs
- May assist the pharmacist in administering clinical services, for example, the collection and proper labeling of blood/urine samples from patients and other clinical services as required
- Helps the pharmacy staff in the coordination of Walgreens healthcare clinics, clinical services and external providers
- Helps the pharmacy manager and staff pharmacist to develop and maintain very good relationships with the local medical community, which includes nurses, physicians, and optometrists, and other health care providers
- Ensures that the Pharmacy Department is stocked with adequate supplies and is neat, clean, and in orderly condition and appearance; thus assisting with the internal and external maintenance
- Maintains a very respectful relationship with coworkers in the company and also complies with all procedures and policies of the company.
Walgreens Pharmacy Technician Job Description for Resume
If you are making a new resume or CV and have worked before as a pharmacy technician with Walgreens or are currently working in that role, you can make an effective Work or Professional Experience Section by utilizing the above sample Walgreens pharmacy technician job description.
You will be able to get the recruiter/employer believe that you have been successful performing the job of a pharmacy technician by highlighting the duties and responsibilities in the Walgreens pharmacy technician job description above in the Professional Experience section of your resume/CV.
This will increase your chances of being hired, especially if the new position that you are seeking requires applicants to have some pharmacy technician work experience with Walgreens or similar companies to be hired.
Walgreens Pharmacy Technician Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a pharmacy technician with Walgreens or other similar companies, here are major requirements you might be expected to meet to be considered for employment:
- Requires willingness to work a flexible schedule, like weekends and evenings
- Six months experience in a retail environment
- Good math skills enable pharmacy technicians to accurately fill prescriptions, including measuring, counting, and weighing medications
- Very good computer skills
- Knowledge of the store inventory control
- Should possess PTCB certification.
If you are interested in the pharmacy technician career with Walgreens or other like retailers and want to know what the job entails, this post has provided the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities you may be assigned to perform if hired to work as a pharmacy technician.
You will also find the content on this page helpful in creating a detailed job description if you are a recruiter/employer seeking to find and hire the best people to work as pharmacy technician in your organization.