If you are planning to take an interview for a finance manager position, it is important to find out what questions will likely be asked so you can prepare your responses before-hand and increase your chances of getting the finance manager job.
This post provides huge samples of finance manager interview questions (and answers) that you can use in preparing for a finance manager job interview, please read on:
What do Interviewers look for in a Finance Manager?
Interviewers typically look for finance manager candidates that are able to commit long-term to the company.
Finance jobs are not always easy, so it pays to go into an interview with a plan on how you’ve dealt with difficult tasks in the past.
Along with this, it’s a huge plus if a finance management candidate has a degree in accounting.
10 Most Common Finance Manager Interview Questions and Answers
Here are some of the most commonly asked interview questions for finance manager positions:
- Are three years of experience sufficient for a finance manager?
Yes, three years of experience providing the specific job responsibilities will be sufficient for a finance manager.
2. What would you expect to earn as a finance manager?
Entry-level finance managers typically make around $70K, but this can vary greatly depending on one’s specific experience.
3. How well do you understand current accounting regulations?
I am well-versed in current accounting regulations so I am able to keep up with both local and federal rules.
4. What is your experience in preparing financial statements?
My background includes preparing financial statements, which I can do quickly and efficiently while maintaining high accuracy.
5. How would you deal with the responsibilities of a finance manager?
As a finance manager, I believe that my main responsibility is to create a positive work environment. I would deal with the responsibilities of a finance manager by being supportive and creating an inclusive atmosphere.
6. Where do you imagine yourself in the next five years?
In five years, I see myself as a part-time teacher while continuing to grow within my company.
7. How often did you have interaction with the financial department?
I was in contact with the financial department once a week. I would usually review the monthly sales report to make sure that they were accurate and send it back if they needed any changes.
8. How well do you understand financing arrangements?
I have a good understanding of financing arrangements, which are necessary when working within accounting.
9. Are you comfortable with working within a team?
I am very comfortable working within teams. I’ve worked in teams throughout all of my internships, and it’s something that I believe could be beneficial here.
10. What was the last situation where teamwork was key to the success of your project?
The latest situation where teamwork was key to the success of my project was when I had to work on a semester-long project with three other people.
More Samples of Commonly Asked Finance Manager Interview Questions
Here are additional sample finance manager interview questions to practice with in your preparation for your next interview:
Sample Behavioral Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
- How have you handled a situation in which your boss wanted you to do something that was against company policy?
- What was the last thing (project, task, decision) you successfully completed?
- Where did your career path take an unexpected turn and how did it work out for you?
- What has been one of your most difficult decisions or tasks at work in the past year? Why did it go poorly/well?
- Describe what worked well (and not so well) about one of your recent projects.
Sample Case Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
- What are the top three strengths of an excellent finance manager candidate?
- What are your weaknesses in this position, if any?
- How will you handle difficult conversations with team members?
- The company is facing a cashflow shortage – what would you do to resolve it?
- If there were opportunities for improvement in this area, what would be your plan of attack?
Sample Competency Based Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
1. What is your experience in financial management?
2. How do you stay organized and on top of your workload?
3. Describe a time where you have had to manage a difficult financial situation.
4. Tell me about a mistake you have made and how you dealt with it.
5. How do you prioritize your workload?
Sample Problem-Solving Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
1 What is the difference between a cost and a price?
2 How do you calculate your break-even point?
3 When should I invest in company shares versus bonds?
4 What are key performance indicators (KPI)?
5 Where can I find information about financial markets, such as stock prices or exchange rates?
Sample Situational Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
- What is a balance sheet?
- Can you tell me what a cash flow statement says about?
- What should I be keeping an eye out for when it comes to liabilities and debt?
- How would you define your risk tolerance as a financial officer or money manager?
- In regard to investments, how long do you typically hold onto investments before flipping them into something new.
Sample Communication Skills Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
- What are your biggest professional accomplishments?
- Why do you want to work here?
- How would you convince a customer to purchase more of an item they cannot afford?
- Tell us about the most difficult time in your life.
- What is one thing that has never failed for you when making decisions with people?
Sample Interpersonal Skills Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
- What is your greatest weakness?
- When you were a student, what was the thing that most frustrated you about school?
- How would your peers describe you as a team player?
- Tell me about the last time something went wrong around here. What did you do?
- Describe how you handle it when someone is unhappy with their work?
Sample Company Culture Interview Questions for Finance Manager Position
- Why is it important to spend time with your employees outside of the office?
- What percentage of your workforce works remotely, and what are some possible benefits for this type of work arrangement?
- How do you feel about telecommuting as a work option for those who need or prefer to stay home during the day with their family?
- Would you recommend working from home full time if our company is considering offering this as an alternative work arrangement to compensate for parking costs in the city we live in?
- How do we ensure that remote workers can still be connected and accountable members of our team, despite their differences in location and hours worked each week.
Sample Finance Interview Questions for a Finance Manager Position
- Why should we hire you?
- What would you do if one of our clients was running out of cash and asking for more credit to keep their business afloat?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What qualities should a good finance manager have?
- Have you ever had to fire someone?
Finance Manager Interview Success Tips
The finance manager interview can be a stressful event for many people. However, here are some tips that will help you nail the interview and get the job.
- Be confident in yourself and show your passion for what you do:
Make sure to research the company before going into the interview so that you have an idea of what they specialize in or their current projects.
This way, it is easier to answer questions about why the company is perfect for you.
- Try not to ramble on during interviews:
Keep your answers short, but make them count by providing more information if needed (e.g., “I am very reliable”). And remember, always smile!
Even though the finance manager interview can be though, however, adequate preparation can make it quite easy.
This post has provided lots of sample interview questions you can apply in preparing for a finance manager position, thereby increasing your chances of getting it.