Roofing Laborer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information of the job description of a roofing laborer to help you understand the tasks, duties, and responsibilities associated with the role.
It also presents the requirements that you may be expected to meet by recruiters if you are seeking the job of a roofing laborer.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the roofing laborer career:
What Does a Roofing Laborer Do?
The roofing laborer is an entry-level position into the roofing industry and they are responsible for assisting technicians and the foreman in the completion of tasks related to removing and installing or repairing of roofing systems.
They can work in a roofing company, construction company, and roofing contractors, etc., which install and maintain roofing systems.
They also help to increase the efficiency of the roofing crew by executing tasks that the foreman or technician may not have time to complete.
However, the term roofing laborer may also be used to describe a roofer. In this case, they will be responsible for installing, repairing, and restoring different roof systems using materials such as tar, asphalt, gravel, rubber, thermoplastics, metal, and shingles.
The roofing laborer work description may involve removing and replacing various commercial roofing systems under the direction of a foreman.
It may also entails the installation of vapor barriers and layers of insulation on the roof decks of flat roofs and sealing the seams, preparing roof surfaces removing snow, water, or garbage from them; trimming felt, shingles, or strips to fit angles formed by walls and intersecting roof surfaces prior to roofing installations/application of roofing materials.
The roofing laborer may also perform an inspection to determine the best repair procedures to a roofing problem, and also be responsible for covering roofs and exterior walls of structures with slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, gravel, etc., using brushes, knives, punches, hammers, and other tools.
Roofing Laborer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The roofing laborer may be responsible for the actual fitting and maintenance of a roofing system or be required to carry out duties with less skill.
Following the categories mentioned above, the tasks, duties, and responsibilities of a roofing laborer will include the following:
- Render support in the Installation of roofing systems
- Removal of roofing applications on hand
- Putting in liquid and multi-layered roof coatings/applications
- Apply an understanding of safety as it applies to the roofing trade
- Responsible for utilizing, holding, or supplying materials or tools during projects
- Take out old roofing materials
- Clean work area and equipment, set ladders, scaffolds, and hoists in place for taking supplies to roofs
- Prepare the roofs for the application of new roofing materials
- Responsible for taking down materials and tools from work trucks and unroll roofing as directed
- Maintain tools and equipment pre and after work
- Set up safety-related equipment to protect the project site
- Safely climb a ladder frequently to supply materials.
Roofing Laborer Job Description for Resume
If you are an experienced roofing laborer or someone working in that role and are writing a resume for a new job, you can make a compelling professional experience section by applying the job description sample above.
You will be able to effectively describe your role as a roofing laborer in the professional or work experience section of your resume by using the duties and responsibilities of the role presented in the job description example above.
Roofing Laborer Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a roofing laborer, there are certain requirements most recruiters will want you to fulfill to be hired for the position. Shown below are major ones:
- Education: Formal education is necessary but not compulsory. However, some employers may require that a roofing laborer has a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Knowledge: The knowledge requirement is determined by the type of roofing systems to be installed, which could be commercial or residential. But, a common skill set is required on both commercial and residential projects
- Organizations installing commercial roofing system will prefer roofing laborers with commercial roofing knowledge/experience, know-how on working with equipment such as boom lifts, scissor lifts, and forklifts; skills to install different types of roofing systems, including TPO, PVC, EPDM rubber, built-ups, Bitumen, metal and dura-last roofing, and familiarity with job site safety, as well as ability to complete a company specific safety orientation
- Physical dexterity: Roofing laborers must be physically fit to carry out tasks like lifting, climbing, and standing for long periods of time. Some employers may specify that they must be able to lift 50 lbs. and climb up and down the ladder to minimum heights of 25 feet
- Flexibility: Their job may require them to work Saturdays, Sundays, and/or on holidays, or even travel when local work is not available. So it is important to the employer that roofing laborers are willing to work a flexible schedule and travel as well
- Comprehension skills: It is important that they can understand, construct, and interpret diagrams, and blueprints, and shop drawings for the task at hand
- Manual dexterity: To perform the tasks of a roofing laborer, they must be able to take measurement with a tape, utilize simple hand tools, including hammer, utility knife, and chalk line, and cleaning tools
- Teamwork: A roofing laborer primarily works with a team, so they must be open to working with other people, render assistance to complete projects as needed, and maintain a high standard of integrity and professionalism
- Math skills: They need math skills for taking accurate measurement and calculating the appropriate quantity of materials needed to complete tasks.
Roofing Laborer Salary Information
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual salary for a roofing laborer in the United States is around $33,000.
The median salary is the range which most people in this job category earn. Some roofing laborers earn about $22,000 while some earn as high as $61,000 per annum.
To hire the right roofing laborer for their organizations, recruiters need to publish the job description for interested individuals to respond to.
To make the job description that perfectly describes the right roofing laborer that you want in your company you can adapt the sample work description provided on this page.
You will also find this post helpful in increasing your knowledge of what roofing laborers do if you are someone that is interested in getting into the career.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.