Public Insurance Claims Adjuster Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information about the job description of a public insurance claims adjuster, to help you learn what they do.
It presents the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the public insurance claims adjuster work description.
This article also highlights the major requirements you will be expected to fulfill if you are seeking the public insurance claims adjuster job.
Please, keep reading to increase your knowledge of the public insurance claims adjuster career:
What Does a Public Insurance Claims Adjuster Do?
A public insurance claims adjuster is responsible for managing every aspect of an insurance claim on behalf of the policyholder, which could be the claimant or the insured.
His/her job description entails adjusting or negotiating insurance claims.
A public insurance claims adjuster is usually an individual licensed and hired by an insurance policyholder; he/she represents the general public and is saddled with the responsibility of adjusting claims in order to effect settlements.
A property insurance policyholder usually hires a public insurance claims adjuster in order to help him/her get a claim, and the claims adjuster will indispensably advocate for the property owner during the whole property insurance claim appraising and negotiation process.
In other words, a public insurance claims adjuster refers to a qualified professional individual who is hired to represent the financial interests of the entity or individual who is insured by the policy.
A public insurance claims adjuster ensures that a claim is handled properly and that he/she achieves a fair outcome, while also working towards the successful maximization of the compensation.
The public insurance claims adjuster work description also entails reviewing and evaluating the claimant’s policy, which involves a thorough examination and assessment of the claimant’s property insurance policy in order to determine what coverage a particular claim will take.
It also entails inspecting the property and assessing the damage, which involves carrying out a detailed property inspection regardless of the insurance company’s inspection, and then include all of the damage in his or her assessment, and prepare the claimant’s insurance claim.
Another responsibility of a public insurance claims adjuster is to prepare documents by preparing the claim to be filed with the insurance company, and to ensure that all pertinent documents are also submitted.
He/she may also re-open a previously settled claim if any discrepancy is noticed.
Individuals who are interested in working as a public insurance claims adjuster is expected to possess several important skills such as good communication and interpersonal skills, analytical skills, and computer literacy and proficiency; mathematical skills and several other crucial work ethics.
In terms of academic qualifications, becoming a public insurance claims adjuster requires candidates to have acquired at least a High School Diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in a business related field.
They are also expected to possess several years of professional working experience or job training in a similar industry.
Public Insurance Claims Adjuster Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Public insurance claims adjusters perform various functions in ensuring policy holders get the best possible compensation on their claims:
A typical job description for the public insurance claims adjuster role is shown below, consisting of the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities they perform:
- Determining values to settle covered damages
- Preparing and documenting the claim on behalf of the claimant or insured
- Inspecting the property and assessing damage in order to find hidden damage that may not be readily visible
- Compiling reports of investigation findings
- Consulting with specialists or job professionals such as lawyers, engineers, architects, and physicians
- Determining coverage by assessing and examining the insurance policy in question in order to determine what compensation is applicable to the claim
- Evaluating any losses in the insured’s business, personal property, or home, and estimating the monetary amount that is needed to cover all the damages
- Presenting necessary and related evidence and negotiating a settlement payout amount with the insurance company
- Re-opening a claim and negotiating for more money if any discrepancy is found after the case has been settled.
Public insurance claims adjuster Job Description for Resume
You can apply the sample public insurance claims adjuster job description sample provided above in making the professional or work experience section of your resume if you have worked before or are currently working in that position, and are writing a new resume.
In the professional experience section of your resume, you will highlight the duties and responsibilities you have performed or are performing as a public insurance claims adjuster.
This will give your resume a boost as employers normally give attention to applicants with relevant job experience because they will likely be more effective on the job.
Public Insurance Claims Adjuster Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a public insurance claims adjuster, it is important to know that most recruiters will want you to meet certain requirements to prove that you will be effective performing the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the role.
Shown below are major requirements most recruiters may want you to meet to be hired for the public insurance claims adjuster role:
- Detail oriented mindset to pay particular attention to details, especially when inspecting or assessing the damage so as to discover damage that is not readily visible
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively interview job professionals, witnesses, claimants, and the insured
- High analytical mindset to tactically and strategically approach and tackle issues
- Sound mathematical skills
- Several years of professional working experience or job training
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Owning a license issued by the state to practice in the same state
- At least a High School Diploma or a Bachelor’s degree in a Business related field.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the public insurance claims adjuster role in your organization, it is important to publish a detailed description of the position.
It will help those interested in the vacant position to learn about the duties the successful candidate will perform so that they can decide if they are a great fit for the role or not.
This will increase your chances of attracting the best qualified and competent candidates to your offer, from which you can find the insurance claims adjuster you are looking for to hire.
This post is also helpful to individuals interested in the public insurance claims adjuster career; they will be able to increase their knowledge of the kind of duties associated with the role.