Painter Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a painter to help you have a deep understanding of what they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that majorly make up the painter work description in most organizations.
Please, continue reading to learn about the painter career.
What Does a Painter Do?
A painter is responsible for painting interior and exterior surfaces of residential or commercial buildings using paint, varnishes, lacquers, sealers, or stains.
The painter job description entails preparing walls and surfaces before executing the actual painting tasks.
So, they perform several pre-painting tasks including utilizing sandpaper, scraping to strip old paint, executing preparation work for the surfaces, and applying filler.
Painters are also responsible for giving an extra touch to work done using power and hand tools to sand surfaces for further finishing and painting.
In addition to applying paints, they may also be required to apply all types of wallpaper, vinyl wall fabrics, and all types of coverings or coatings, drywall installation, tape and texture work.
Painters are also responsible for providing on-site preparations for building.
They cover fixtures and fill cracks and holes with an appropriate material such as plaster.
Before carrying out the painting job, they are also responsible for blending paints and other materials to achieve the right color or texture and then paint surfaces with various tools and according to instructions.
The painter work description also involves maintaining painting equipment to ensure proper performance and also work with other units to ensure quality products are utilized and on-time delivery.
They also strive to follow high-quality standards to reduce defects and exceed company standards but at an acceptable materials cost.
Painter Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Depending on the project at hand, painters are primarily responsible for painting the interior and exterior surfaces of buildings.
The primary tasks, duties, and responsibilities that generally define the painter job description are listed below:
- Responsible for painting the exterior and interior areas of a company’s projects
- Execute pre-painting activities, including cleaning, scraping, sanding, patching, caulking, and masking of adjacent surfaces prior to painting, papering, texturing, etc. if required
- Follow management’s instructions in maintaining an inventory of paint and supplies
- Follow the owners, manager or property manager’s instruction in executing the job utilizing appropriate finishes and applications
- Comply with OSHA/MSDS guidelines with respect to the use of hazardous chemicals
- Stay up-to-date with storage and disposal laws, regulations, codes, etc.
- Cary out after project cleaning of areas, supplies, and equipment at the completion of project
- Assist in storing leftover paint in the appropriate locations
- Support team with special maintenance projects as needed.
Painter Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a painter or are presently working in that position and are making a new resume, you can apply the sample painter job description provided above in making the professional experience section of the resume if the new job you are seeking requires having some work experience as a painter.
By applying the painter duties and responsibilities presented in the above job description in describing your work experience, you will be able to assure the recruiter that you are the right person for the job.
Painter Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a painter, it is important to know that most employers will want you to satisfy the following requirements to be considered for employment:
- Education: To work as a painter, applicants are required to have a High School diploma or equivalent qualification
- Knowledge: Having cognate experience in residential or commercial painting and knowledge of remodeling is essential
- Communication Skills: Painters rely on the customer or managers instruction to execute the painting job. So it is crucial that they can communicate verbally along with active listening abilities to listen for what is not said expressly and apply relevant follow-up question to elicit the needed information and capture a clear picture of what the client/manager wants to be done
- Teamwork Skills: A painter works with a team, so it is vital that he/she is open to working in a team-oriented environment contributing his/her skills to the project and open to giving a hand whenever there is need
- Time Management: A painter must be able to plan his/her work in a manner that allows him/her to complete projects on-time and on-budget. He/she must be able to work professionally without wasting materials and time.
The earning capacity of painters varies slightly depending on the kind of projects they handle. The average annual salary of a construction painter falls in the range of $26,491-$39,529 with a majority earning an average annual salary of $29,482.
While ZipRecruiter reveals that the annual salaries of a house painter fall in the range of $20,000-$53,000, and the majority of house painters earning between $28,500 and $38,500 across the United States.
Following the information revealed by ZipRecruiter, as at Aug. 10, 2019, the average pay for a house painter in the United States is $34,696 annually.
If you are a recruiter or employer needing to hire for the painter position, you can apply the job description sample given above as a template in making one that perfectly fit the functions you will want the successful candidate to perform for your organization.
This post is equally useful to individuals interested in the painter career to increase their knowledge of the duties and responsibilities that majorly define the role.