Meijer Hiring Process: Job Application, Interviews, and Employment
The hiring process at Meijer involves various stages, including the job application and interview processes that you need to complete to gain employment with the Company.
Please, read on to learn about the Meijer recruitment process and increase your chances of being hired by the Company.
Meijer Company Overview
Meijer Inc. is a supercenter chain across the Midwest, headquartered in Walker Michigan. It is an American establishment founded in 1934 by Hendrik Meijer, and started operating as a supermarket chain.
About 50 percent of the company’s stores are located in Michigan, while the other stores are all over Illinois, Kentucky, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
Fenderik Meijer, the son of Hendrik Meijer was one of the first employees that worked at the company when it started initially.
As of that time, Fenderik was only a fourteen years old boy, who later became chairman of the business. The current co-chairmen of Meijer Inc. are Hank and Doug Meijer – Hendrik’s grandsons.
As of 2015, Meijer was recognized as the 19th American largest private companies on Forbes magazine, and it is currently ranked number 26 largest Retail Company in the U.S.
The Meijer Hiring Process
The hiring process at Meijer consists of a few stages that an applicant must pass through in order to get employed:
- The Job Application
The hiring process typically begins with an online application. You will need to apply for a job online through the company’s career portal – jobs.meijer.com.
Meijer expects candidates to submit their applications online since the paper employment forms are no longer utilized.
Applicants will be able to see the complete list of positions that are available on the Meijer applications portal and they can freely select the department they wish to work in.
The moment an applicant finds a job that he or she desires, such individual can start filling out the online form after clicking the “Apply to Job” button that is displayed in the job description.
You will be asked to upload your resume to the online form. This can be done by transferring the information from your LinkedIn profile, or you can simply upload the recent version of your resume from your computer.
Moreover, you will be requested to provide your main contact information. The Human Resources Department can reach you later on to continue the hiring process.
2. Interview Process
Normally, Meijer conducts interview for applicants that have a resume that meets with the requirements of the job.
This interview is usually with a Meijer hiring personnel and it lasts for not more than an hour. But if someone is applying for managerial positions, the interview session would last much longer than that.
Sometimes, weeks before the interview commences, the HR team will notify you to be prepared, and might also enlighten you briefly about what the interview entails.
The interviewer normally asks lots of questions regarding your expertise, personality, availability, education history, and previous work place.
Apart from these questions, here are some sample Meijer interview questions you might be asked:
- Can you give me a reason why you chose to apply for Meijer employment?
- Is there anything in your professional experience that qualifies you for this particular Meijer career?
- Have you been in a situation where you had to work with someone you disliked?
- Have you experienced dealing with a customer who’s not satisfied? How did you manage to cope in such situation?
- Have you ever had all the necessary resources to complete an assigned task? What was it like?
- Are you absolutely healthy?
- Have you ever been given a task to perform, without expecting such at all?
Meijer recommends that applicants make preparations for the interview before it comes up.
As a candidate, you can prepare by:
- Reviewing your resume and understanding how it correlates with the description of the job you are applying for.
- By doing this, you will be absolutely prepared to counter the job experience questions that will be asked by the interviewer.
- Conduct a research about Meijer before you attend the interview. Do this by visiting the company’s website – www.meijer.com, where you will be able to find all the necessary detail about Meijer’s biggest achievement.
- Ensure that you appear in appropriate attire for the interview. This will greatly contribute to your success in the interview.
3. Hearing from Meijer after the Interview
After you have completed the interview process, expect to be notified by the Human Resources team in a week or a few days.
The HR team doesn’t hesitate to get back to an applicant after he/she has been interviewed, regardless of the interview performance.
A response from the HR team will come as an email or a phone call, explaining the results of your interview, and if you have been given employment.
4. Drug Test
As a candidate who has been selected among other applicants that will be employed, you will need to undergo a compulsory drug test to ensure that you are safe to work in Meijer.
A drug test is something you can’t refuse, except you are indirectly saying you don’t need a job anymore from the company. A drug test is compulsory in any retail store.
Your blood or urine sample will be needed to complete the drug test.
Failing to provide these requirements is not a wise thing to do. After your drug test, you will be invited for an orientation, as long as you are found drug-free.
5. Orientation Process
After the success of your drug test, the next and last thing to do before you can start working at Meijer is to experience the company’s orientation, which is typically a computer based training and yearly training modules.
It is a two or three days learning process which will educate you on the company’s products, history, and culture.
Moreover, you might watch videos and then ask any question based on the video you have watched.
This happens depending on your role. Some candidates will have to take a tour around the work environment to get familiar with it.
Meijer Jobs and Careers
The number of jobs to look forward to at Meijer as an applicant is endless. However, this article will provide the list of a few major jobs that are available at Meijer:
- Cashier: This employee is responsible for using a cash register, receiving monies, and ringing out customer purchases. A Cashier also interacts with customers continuously, and processes purchases.
- Clerk: This employee has a responsibility in several roles at the grocery retail chain. He/she works with various departments, including grocery, bakery, produce, and clerks. A clerk also maintains the environment in which he/she is assigned to.
- Store manager: This employee is responsible for providing general supervision and guidance within the retail chain, as well as making sure customers are satisfied, and that profit and sales expectations are met.
- Team leaders: This employee is responsible for providing supervisory responsibilities for every department in a Meijer store through proper directing, planning, and maintenance of each division in the hierarchy of the store.
- Assistant store managers: This employee assists the store manager in executing most of the assigned duties, especially when the store manager isn’t around.
- Sales associate: This employee is usually assigned to load groceries into cars, unload deliveries, ring customers, and ensure that the storeroom is well organized.
What to Expect Working at Meijer
Once you have been employed by Meijer, you will be granted access to various amazing benefits.
Some typical work benefits include paid vacation, retirement plan for qualified team members, medical coverage, and flexible scheduling.
Whenever you are clueless about something, you will definitely find co-workers who are able and willing to render their help.
In spite of these benefits, there are times you would have to experience difficult situations at work.
Most times, as a result of the stores operation hours, a sales associate tends to work during nights and weekend.
Facing rude customers is a typical experience at Meijer, since it is a retail company.
All the necessary information needed to undergo Meijer hiring process successfully if you are seeking employment at the company have been made available in this article; ensure to complete the whole process so the HR team can consider you for hiring.