McDonalds Cook Job Description Example
What Does a McDonalds Cook Do?
A McDonalds cook is an individual employed by the fast food restaurant company mainly for the purpose of cooking or preparing foods served in the restaurant.
The McDonalds cook job description primarily entails preparing foods and follow laid down recipe, which is central to the food preparation process of the restaurant to ensure uniformity.
McDonalds is undoubtedly the largest fast food restaurant in the world, serving up to 68 million customers on daily basis and having over 36,000 outlets across 119 countries.
Sometimes, McDonalds cooks can be referred to as chef, however, he/she is not required to participate in the planning of recipes most times; he/she only needs to follow the recipe already prepared by the chief chef or concerned authorities.
Due to the need for uniformity, the recipe is prepared by a central body and distributed to McDonalds’ outlets across the world.
The cook answers directly to the sous chef, who examines what is prepared by the cook to ensure they are in line with company standards.
The menu the cook has to follow is usually standard and somewhat constant, but subject to periodical assessment by the concerned authorities.
The McDonalds cook must be able to prepare foods very fast and in agreement with laid down rules of the company.
He/she should be consistent and be able to work with minimal supervision. As the cook gets accustomed to the practice at McDonalds, he/she may be saddled with the responsibility of handling the kitchen and all its activities while his/her work is subjected to minimal supervision.
Aside following the laid down menu, the McDonalds cook work description may also involve preparing short order foods, which may not be on the company’s menu.
The cook is equally expected to be conversant with such orders and get them prepared as and when due.
The cook is not involved in food distribution aspect of the company’s business; he/she basically works in the kitchen.
Needless to say, the quality of his/her food preparation goes a long way to determining how well clients will patronize the company.
This is not to say such increase in patronage depends only on him/her; other members of staff, like the service crew, equally play very important role in ensuring old customers make repeat visits, while also ensuring new customers are brought in.
McDonalds Cook Job Description Example
Working as a cook at McDonalds can be fun, as well as challenging, and entails carrying out a number of duties, tasks, and responsibilities on a daily basis.
The following job description example shows the major functions a cook may be asked to perform working at McDonalds:
- Ensure safety standards are maintained in the kitchen
- Maintain health and sanitation across the work areas
- Ensure complete and constant cleanliness of utensils, surfaces, and cooking areas
- Operate griddles, deep-fat fryers, grills and other large-volume equipment for cooking
- Find out if the food prepared is in line with the quantity and quality laid down by company’s requirements
- Take orders from clients regarding their preferred foods and drinks, and also help to collect payment from customers when such needs arise
- Read any slip on food order and also accept verbal instructions provided by the chief cook
- See to it that food preparation are down in line with McDonalds’ rules
- Prepare, cut and wash foods prior to cooking
- Measure the right amount of ingredients required for food preparation
- Prepare food and package it properly to be delivered to customers
- Package foods properly to ensure they do not get cold before delivery or before being sold
- Stock, restock, and clean workstations
- Follow recipe in preparing all foods.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, Abilities – for McDonalds Cook Role
You will need to develop certain skills, knowledge, and abilities to excel as a cook at McDonalds, including the following:
- Possess verse knowledge of various meat types and how long it takes to cook them
- Possess adequate knowledge in menu planning, food portion size establishment, and food requirement estimation, as well as how much food items cost
- Ability to prepare food as required with the right quantity of seasoning
- Ability to carry out food inspection to ascertain quality and top hygiene standard
- Possess high level aesthetic skills towards proper presentation and arrangement of food to make such food pleasant to the eyes
- Ability to steam, fry and broil foods and meats of different types
- Ability to follow instruction and laid down recipe by McDonalds restaurants’ authorities
- Pre-employment tests: The hiring process for this role at McDonalds may include candidates taking a test to prove their suitability for the job. Learn about the likely job assessment tests you may be expected to take and how you can come up tops.