Logistics Staff Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are in search of a logistics staff job description, to learn about what they do, then this post will give you the information you are looking for.
It covers the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that typically make up the logistics staff work description in most organizations.
This article also treats the requirements you may be asked to meet by recruiters if you are seeking the logistics staff job. With this information, you will be able to prepare your application effectively.
Please, continue reading to improve your knowledge of the logistics staff career:
What Does a Logistics Staff Do?
A logistics staff works with a logistics company or in the logistics unit of an organization. They are responsible for supporting the co-ordination, planning, and execution, and monitoring of supply chain operations in an organization.
Their role may entail working in the area of shipping and performing receiving functions, or they may be involved in providing support to the logistics manager in all aspects of warehouse operations.
The logistics staff job description may entail providing support to the logistics team in line with the departmental targets.
It may also involve making certain that all out-going and incoming shipments are undamaged and accurate.
The logistics staff may also be responsible for documentations, including preparing paper works for outbound shipments, and reviewing shipment documents such as BOL, invoices, and packing lists, as well as maintaining inventory of shipping supplies.
They are also responsible for providing customers with order confirmations and booking outbound order with freight forwarders or brokers.
They work with shipping vendors where their duties involve coordinating returns of merchandise and managing electronic shipping files.
The logistics staff work description also involves processing incoming shipments and receiving incoming materials.
In carrying out shipment processing tasks, logistics staff compare what has been received with the shipment order, ascertain that the materials are in good condition, and stock them in the warehouse, and file all necessary documentation.
They are also responsible for processing outbound shipments, which involves several duties, including order confirmation and preparation of packing lists to physically check outgoing materials.
Logistics Staff Job Description Example/Sample/Template
The logistics staff is involved throughout the shipping cycle ensuring end-to-end delivery of goods.
They perform various functions which cut across incoming and outgoing shipment processing, product delivery, and customer support, and answering of customers’ questions.
The specific tasks, duties, and responsibilities that majorly constitute the logistics staff job description are listed below:
- Serve as point of contact for customers on any Logistics related issues
- Collaborate with Customer service, Quality, Planning, and Purchasing to resolve issues or queries they may have
- Responsible for stocking shelves, organizing cartons, and performing inventory counts
- Follow sales order to prepare goods stated for shipment
- Responsible for all routine vehicle maintenance of the delivery truck, van, and motorcycle
- Provide support to the Sales Department in servicing clients as required
- Provide suggestions within area of responsibility to Logistics Manager as needed
- Support effective resource management and assist with the planning of work within dispatch through load creation
- Responsible for the coordination of incoming goods and daily dispatches as per requirements
- Follow procedures in processing all non-conforming goods or returns as required
- Provide support in the planning and tracking of the shipment of finished orders.
- Responsible for keeping appropriate documentation and logs to support all planned finalized orders
- Responsible for the interpretation and analysis of relevant departmental KPI’s and proffer recommendations accordingly
- Stay current with knowledge of dispatch, logistics planning, and effective supplier management
- Responsible for providing accurate reports to track performance and enable decision making
- Actively participate in continuous improvement and problem-solving activities within the unit.
Logistics Staff Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before or are currently holding the job of a logistics staff and are writing a resume for a new job, then you can use the sample job description given above in completing the professional experience section of your resume.
This section gives you the opportunity to state the duties and responsibilities that you carried out in your role as a logistics staff, and you can easily do this by applying the above sample job description.
Logistics Staff Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the logistics staff job, it is important to know that recruiters will want you to meet certain requirements before you can qualify to access the vacant position.
They need prospective candidates to meet certain skills, abilities, and experience, and educational, etc. requirements to prove that they can successfully perform the purpose, obligations, and objectives of the logistics staff role that will be assigned to them.
Shown below are major logistics staff requirements individuals seeking the role may be expected to fulfill by recruiters:
- Education: Recruiters mostly require a minimum of High School Diploma to work as a logistics staff
- Knowledge: They are interested in individuals’ with logistics experience and necessary skills in overseeing shipment materials and processes. It is important that applicants for this job can keep track of shipment and are familiar with transportation mode, cost of shipment, and arrival time. They must also have an understanding of the SAP system, as well as knowledge of managing paper and electronic files
- Employers also desire to recruit applicants with proven experience in stock control and a good knowledge of hygiene, housekeeping, and safety standards
- IT skills: Applicants must possess exceptional IT skills particularly Microsoft Excel
- Communication skills: The job of a logistics staff involves large internal and external customer contact, so it is important that they have excellent skills to communicate and relate with others
- Interpersonal skills: It is important that they can establish and uphold relationships to effectively carry out their duties
- Stress management: Logistics staff work in a fast paced environment and their job may require that they meet targets within scheduled time-frame. So it is important that they can work well under pressure
- Organizational skills: To work as a logistics staff, applicants must have planning and multi-tasking skills to effectively prioritize and handle multiple assignments
- Flexibility: They must be willing to and able to work flexible hours.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire a logistics staff, you should publish the job description for interested individuals to respond to.
We have provided detailed information on duties, skills, responsibilities, and requirements of a logistics staff in this post to help you make a detailed description of the role in your organization.
By publishing a comprehensive description of the role, you will be able to attract and hire the most resourceful candidate for the logistics staff job.
This post is also useful to individuals interested in the logistics staff career to learn and have deep knowledge of the role and be able to make informed decisions about the career.
Did this article help you understand what logistics staff do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. Do also discuss your job description if you work as a logistics staff.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.