IT Security Engineer Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are searching for the IT security engineer job description to learn about the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities commonly performed by the role, then you will find this post helpful.
You will also find this article useful if you are seeking to work as an IT security engineer to learn about the skills, qualities, experience, and other major requirements most recruiters will expect you to fulfill to be qualified for hiring.
Please, continue reading:
What Does an IT Security Engineer Do?
There are a lot of companies or organizations that possess various networking assets. It is thereby the job or duty of IT security engineers to protect the networks and computer systems of these companies from all security threats or attacks.
Basically, the IT security engineer is an organization’s first line of defense against potential security threats.
IT security engineers, also known as information security engineers are saddled with the responsibility of establishing and implementing security solutions that can defend a company and its networking assets.
In other words, the IT security engineer job description covers the network and computer system security which involves saving or protecting the networks, information, or files from intruders, errors, and viruses with the use of various tools such as antivirus, cleaners, etc.
Additionally, the duties of an IT security engineer are critical and substantial. For example, he/she can spend a whole day at work installing fireworks and intrusion detection systems to keep a company’s information secure, developing automation scripts that can make it easier to handle and track security incidents, or compiling and presenting technical reports to the management about the status of the organization’s security system.
Furthermore, the IT security engineer work description in various industries includes creating, installing, or troubleshooting technology and software programs.
The engineers apply their technical knowledge to solve a variety of technological challenges. They may also build new technologies, including the development of networking solution and software programs.
They are also expected to demonstrate strong technical, organizational, and communication skills.
An IT security engineer is expected to report directly to the upper management, giving them information and updating them on the state of security of their robust system, creating awareness on advanced cyber threats and helping to create or build strategies to protect those networks.
Academically, most companies will only consider candidates who have earned a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a related field of study.
In addition, employers demand that any individual interested in the position of an IT security engineer has several years of experience in identifying security threats and implementing successful measures for protection, he/she should also demonstrate a solid understanding in the implementation of cyber security trends, security methodologies, and OSI model; TCP/IP stack, C++, and Java; Python Net, bash, and power shell.
IT Security Engineer Job Description Example/Sample/Template
IT security engineers perform various functions in ensuring the safety of organizations’ computer and network systems from attacks or security threats.
Shown below are major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the IT security engineer job description:
- Establishing and constructing security standards and best practices that an organization should follow
- Implementing security controls to protect an organization’s infrastructure, computer system, and digital files
- Organizing and conducting scans and testing in order to identify vulnerabilities
- Reporting results of scanning or testing and providing security recommendations for further system security enhancement directly to the management
- Preparing and documenting standard operating procedures and protocols
- Ensuring that the organization is aware of security incidents as much as possible, as quickly as possible
- Educating the workforce on information security standards, policies, and best practices
- Conducting penetration testing by simulating an attack on the system to find exploitable weaknesses
- Monitoring networks and systems for security breaches, through the use of software that detect intrusions and abnormal system behavior
- Responding to any security breaches or intrusions that may occur.
IT Security Engineer Job Description for Resume
You can apply the above sample IT security engineer job description in writing the professional experience section of your resume.
If you’ve had some experience working as an IT security engineer and are seeking a new job, you can quickly and easily complete the work or professional experience section of your resume by highlighting the duties and responsibilities of the role provided above, which you have performed or are performing.
IT Security Engineer Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
To attract and find the best candidates who can excel in performing the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the IT security engineer position, recruiters usually give a set of requirements, including skills, knowledge, and experience, and abilities that prospective candidates must fulfill to access the position.
Given below are major IT security engineer requirements you may be expected to meet to be considered for the position by most recruiters:
- One of the skills and qualities of an IT security engineer is the ability to perform different or various tasks at the same time as soon as possible efficiently and effectively
- Communication is a very crucial qualification in any field or area of work. IT security engineers must possess the ability to effectively and concisely communicate network security issues to peers and management
- IT security engineers should possess strong organizational skills. They must be composed, calm, and organized in order to effectively identify security threats and implement successful measures for protection
- As the first line of defense of an organization, the engineer is required to be familiar with various technological advancements. As mentioned earlier, he/she must also demonstrate a sound understanding in the implementation of cybersecurity trends, security methodologies, and OSI model; TCP/IP stack, C++, and Java; Python Net, bash, and power shell
- IT security engineers must possess endurance skills. This is important because they spend the majority of their time in front of a computer screen, and they often work all day long in the course of identifying and solving a problem
- They should be able to work together with other departments in order to ensure that security measures are enforced as effectively and efficiently as possible.
If you are a recruiter hiring for the IT security engineer role, you can make a detailed description of the job to inform prospective candidates the duties and responsibilities to expect to perform if hired for the position.
This will help you find the best qualified and competent candidates for the job as only those confident of succeeding on the job will only apply for it.
This post is equally helpful to individuals who are interested in the IT security engineer career to learn and increase their knowledge of what the role does.
Did you find this article helpful in learning about what IT security engineers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You may also discuss your job description if you work as an IT security engineer.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.