Insurance Claims Assessor Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post presents complete information on the job description of insurance claims assessors to help you gain deep understanding of what they do.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the insurance claims assessor work description in most organizations.
This article also presents major requirements that anyone seeking to work as an insurance claims assessor will need to meet to qualify for hiring.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the insurance claims assessor career:
What Does an Insurance Claims Assessor Do?
Insurance claims assessor is responsible for overseeing the entire claims assessment process, including benefit explanation.
He/she is responsible for clerical functions and other necessary duties that are associated with insurance transactions.
In other words, an insurance claims assessor refers to one who is professionally saddled with the responsibility of conducting investigations into insurance claims in order to ensure their validity.
His/her job description entails examining, inspecting, and assessing the damage and loss of insured properties and businesses; estimating insurance costs and inspecting insured properties in order to evaluate the conditions that affect underwriting standards.
Furthermore, in the process of disseminating his or her duties, an insurance claims assessor is expected to carry out several important daily activities, such as analyzing claims in order to determine the level of the organization’s liability, making approval or denial decisions regarding claims, and negotiating settlements with claimants in accordance with provided policy or guidelines.
An insurance claims assessor may also be responsible for liaising or collaborating with insurance agents, and interviewing claimants in order to correct errors, rectify omissions, and carry out investigations in order to resolve questionable issues.
An insurance claims assessor may also carry out functions that are associated with insurance transactions, such as responding to claims in a timely manner, filing paperwork, communicating with policyholders, investigating liabilities, notifying the insurer of a covered loss as defined under the insurance policy, and assessing damages.
The insurance claims assessor work description also involves researching, detailing, and substantiating each part of a claim, including building damage, contents, and extra living expense claims; preparing detailed damages reports based on monthly insurance cost software for the purpose of making an offer of settlement to the insured.
It also entails protecting the interest of the insurance company when dealing with claimants, and ensuring accurate procedures.
The role of an insurance claims assessor requires the ideal candidate or any interested individual to possess and demonstrate certain required skills or attributes, such as good verbal and written communication skills, sound mathematical skills, well-developed interpersonal skills, computer proficiency, high analytical mind, ability to pay particular attention to details, and several other skills.
Insurance Claims Assessor Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Some of the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the insurance claims assessor job description are as follows:
- Obtaining all necessary information on claims for the purpose of completing processing
- Uncovering fraudulent claim scheme
- Assisting underwriters and insurance agents in the field to investigate claims and determine the cost and extent of damages
- Developing and maintaining a strong understanding of insurance policies and legal issues
- Inputting claims into the computer system accurately
- Contributing to the continuous development of the claims process by identifying and implementing several opportunities for the development of products and process improvement
- Suspending claims that require further investigation in order to resolve them appropriately
- Proactively seeking to clarify and resolve claims using the best method of communication and initiative
- Responding to all relevant incoming correspondence and queries from the company’s internal departments
- Working on a shift basis as required by the organization
- Protecting the interest of the insurance company when dealing with claimants.
Insurance Claims Assessor Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as an insurance claims assessor or are presently working in that’ role and are writing a new resume, you can quickly and conveniently make the professional experience part of the resume by applying the sample insurance claims assessor job description provided above.
Using the above job description in highlighting the duties and responsibilities you have carried out as an insurance claims assessor will certainly give your resume a boost, especially if to be effective on the new job requires some insurance claims assessor working experience.
Insurance Claims Assessor Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work in the role of insurance claims assessor, the requirements most recruiters will want you to meet include the following:
- High analytical skills to critically analyze and examine damages, and conduct investigations
- Good mathematical skills to effectively assess damages
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills to effectively talk to claimants and interview witnesses, and also report to the upper management of the insurance company
- Strong and particular attention to detail to analyze property damages in order to find hints that might be hidden
- Computer proficiency to work effectively with certain assessment tools or software
- Several years of proven work experience either professionally or through an internship
- A Bachelor’s degree in any insurance or business related field.
If you are an employer or recruiter needing to hire for the insurance claims assessor role in your organization, you will need to provide a detailed description of the job to inform prospective applicants about the duties and responsibilities they will be expected to perform if hired.
You can quickly make such description by applying the insurance claims assessor job description sample above.
This post is also useful to individuals interested in the insurance claims assessor career, to learn and gain huge knowledge of the role.