Information Technology Manager Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are looking for information about the job description of an information technology manager to improve your knowledge of what the position does, then you will find this post useful.
it provides the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the information technology manager work description in most organizations.
You will also discover the major requirements that most employers of information technology managers will expect applicants seeking the role to meet to be hired.
Please, read on:
What Does an Information Technology Manager Do?
An information technology manager is an IT expert who is saddled with the responsibility of organizing and maintaining various technology infrastructures used in an organization.
He/she is well knowledgeable of computer operations and uses his/her skills in tackling issues that may arise in the IT department.
In our digital world of today, information is stored electronically on a central information processing system so that it can be accessed, transferred, and protected easily.
The information technology manager’s job description involves making sure that all his/her organization’s data stored in the operating system are protected from hacking.
He/she is expected to check the systems to determine their operational requirements, then carry out extensive research to identify the most reliable and cost effective system requirements to achieve set goals.
His/her role in an organization also entails coordinating activities that go on in the IT department, and supervising the work of the IT staff, while ensuring that company policies on IT are maintained to achieve better operations and results in the department.
He/she will collaborate with the management to ensure that IT environment is not only conducive for the operating systems, but also for the staff as will be able to perform optimally in a conducive and serene environment.
Managers supervising information technology departments also ensure that all equipment needed for work are provided by management.
Information Technology Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Information technology managers perform various functions in ensuring that all technology infrastructure of an organization are well organized and maintained.
Below is an example of the kind of job description the IT manager is commonly expected to execute:
- Make sure that business equipment are updated to work effectively and give maximum results
- Troubleshoot computers and operating systems that are malfunctioning to identify faults and fix them by self or get an expert engineer to fix more difficult issues
- Monitor the working of operating systems to spot any decline in their operations and quickly attend them to ensure that the systems are running at all times, as successful operations depend on their functionality.
- Perform regular checks on equipment to identify the bad ones that need replacement and inform management about it
- Make good bargains for equipment to get good discounts and save cost
- Place order for new equipment and inspect them when delivered to check for problems and ensure that they are in good condition
- Supervise maintenance on the organization’s equipment by ensuring that they are cleaned and lubricated to avoid dust and rust as these could damage the systems, which could lead to setback the operation of the department
- Set goals for the department in line with the organization’s expectation and motivate team members to work judiciously to achieve set goals at the stipulated time
- Perform brainstorming sessions with team members and other IT experts to proffer solutions to emerging IT problems in the department
- Attend workshops to learn latest techniques; organize workshops for team members to intimate them with the latest trends in order for them to be more efficient and increase their productivity.
- Keep management updated on activities and developments in the IT department.
Information Technology Manager Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
When hiring for the IT manager job, recruiters majorly give a list of requirements applicants must meet to confirm that they will be able to perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the position.
Below are major IT manager job requirements commonly demanded by recruiters:
- Ability to complete several tasks and responsibilities concurrently without making mistakes
- Strong knowledge of IT concepts, techniques, and procedures
- Ability to brainstorm and generate ideas and solutions to challenging IT problems
- Possess managerial skills and analytical mind to make quick decisions in the IT department
- Working experience with various server/client/cloud and networking technologies
- Strong experience working in system architecture and data governance
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and troubleshooting skills to effectively handle software, hardware, and IT systems issues
- Strong ability to interact with people from various departments in the organization
- Strong diplomacy, communication, and leadership skills
- Exceptional ability to work in a fast-paced environment and perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Information Technology Manager Job Description for Resume
You can apply the IT manager job description sample provided above in creating a resume for the position.
You can use the IT manager duties and responsibilities highlighted in this post in completing the professional experience section of the resume to prove to the recruiter that you will be effective in performing the role.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager looking to make a description for the IT manager position for use in hiring for the job, the sample job description given above can help you create it.
You will also find this article useful if you are interested in the IT manager career, to learn all you need to know about the duties and responsibilities of the role.
Did this post help increase your knowledge of what Information Technology managers do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also share your job description if you work as an IT manager.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.