House Cleaner Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a house cleaner, to help you learn what they do.
It highlights the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the house cleaner work description in most organization.
It also provides information on the major requirements employers commonly set for individuals seeking the house cleaner role to meet to be qualified for hiring.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the house cleaner career:
What Does a House Cleaner Do?
A house cleaner is responsible for ensuring and obtaining the highest level of cleanliness around the environments of a residential area, such as bedrooms, bathrooms, and kitchens, and all public areas.
His/her job description entails carrying out all light cleaning duties in order to maintain private households or commercial establishments such as hotels and hospitals.
In other words, a house cleaner refers to an individual who is professionally saddled with the responsibility of providing and maintaining the highest or an optimized standard of comfort, cleanliness, and hygiene for customers or clients within or around their residential facilities.
He/she is also responsible for carrying out several important tasks, such as cleaning or dusting, vacuuming carpets and hardwood floors, washing dishes, making and arranging beds, doing laundries, cleaning bathrooms, mopping or scrubbing kitchen and bathroom floors, sweeping, and several other cleaning and maintenance activities.
In the process of performing their duties, house cleaners are expected to take into account all users’ wishes or requirements and be fully aware at all times of the welfare, health, and safety of the service users or clients, and other members of staff.
They should also pay attention to the safety and security of the domiciliary building.
The duties of a house cleaner are not just limited to cleaning and maintaining house facilities; a house cleaner is also responsible for delivering quality service by evaluating practice and implementing new knowledge in order to further improve practice.
He/she should participate in several pieces of training, and attend meetings, liaising and interacting with service users and others in a friendly and embracing manner that maintains their esteem and positive self-image.
The house cleaner work description includes maintaining correct and adequate record of all work completed, reporting faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard immediately, and carrying out routine checks often throughout the day in order to ensure that all communal areas are clean and well presented, as well as respecting client privacy, choice and dignity at all times.
In essence, a house cleaner is responsible for maintaining a safe and tidy environment while also paying attention to clients or service users’ wishes.
Becoming a house cleaner requires an ideal candidate or interested individual to possess and demonstrate certain attributes such as the ability to effectively work as a team member and in partnership with clients, the will and motivation to improve job skills and knowledge, sound communication and interpersonal skills, physical fitness, and so on.
In terms of academic qualifications, an individual interested in working as a house cleaner does not require any college major or complete an educational program to become a professional house cleaner.
However, several years of proven work experience in this field can be of a crucial advantage.
House Cleaner Job Description Example/Sample/Template
House cleaner performs various functions in ensuring every part of a residential area is cleaned.
The major duties, tasks, and responsibilities performed by most house cleaners are shown in the job description example below:
- Cleaning and maintaining a tidy house with the use of various chemicals, disinfectants, and machines
- Cleaning dishes and carefully arranging them in their appropriate position
- Replacing burned out light bulbs
- Cleaning driveways and walkways by sweeping them
- Disinfecting various equipment and supplies
- Turning mattresses, plumping pillows, and changing cushions
- Replenishing amenities that are needed in rooms as required
- Ensuring that the public areas of a room are cleaned to a very high standard in compliance with operational policies and standards
- Identifying and reporting any maintenance issues or defective equipment to head housekeeper
- Communicating and maintaining a healthy relationship with homeowners in order to provide excellent service
- Carrying out household errands such as grocery shopping, pharmacy pickup and so on.
House Cleaner Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a house cleaner or are currently working in that role and are writing a new resume, you will need to show in the resume that you have working experience as a house cleaner.
This means you have to create the professional or work experience section for your resume. In this section, you will highlight the duties and responsibilities you have carried out or are presently performing in your house cleaning role.
You can apply the sample house cleaner job description provided above in making the perfect work experience section for your resume.
House Cleaner Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a house cleaner, it is important to know that recruiters will want you to meet certain requirements to qualify for an interview.
This is important to recruiters to enable then find and hire candidates who can perform the obligations, purpose, and objectives of a house cleaner effectively.
Shown below are major requirements you will be expected to meet if you are applying for the job of a house cleaner:
- The ability to effectively work independently and as a member of a team
- The ability to maintain correct, up-to-date, and accurate record
- Sound knowledge and awareness of health and safety requirements, policies, and procedures
- Well-develop oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, as a house cleaner is required to liaise and interact with visitors, other staff members, and homeowners
- Ability to read, to understand, and put product safety advice sheets and procedures to use
- Several years of proven work experience as a house cleaner or a cleaner in any institution
- Good physical and healthy state to perform all tasks quickly, effectively, and efficiently.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the house cleaner position in your organization, you will need to publish a description of the role for interested individuals to respond to.
It will help them learn about the duties associated with the role and to decide if they will be effective performing them.
You can apply the sample house cleaner job description provided above as a template in making one for your organization.
The information shared in this post is also helpful to individuals interested in the house cleaner career to increase their knowledge of what the role entails.