Digital Media Specialist Job Description, Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of a digital media specialist to help you learn about the role they perform.
It highlights the key tasks, duties, and responsibilities that typically make up the digital media specialist work description in most organizations.
This article also presents the major requirements most recruiters will ask you to fulfill if you are applying for the digital media specialist job.
Please, continue reading to learn about the digital media specialist career:
What Does a Digital Media Specialist Do?
A digital media specialist is responsible for promoting organizations and boosting client engagement by implementing online tools.
His/her job description entails building digital media campaigns, overseeing and monitoring the creation of digital content, and finishing up digital projects.
It also involves improving the organization web presence and supervising and monitoring online marketing staff.
In other words, a digital media specialist can be described as one who has the responsibility to creatively handle various online marketing tools such as websites, podcasts, and blogs, working with different teams in order to coordinate and promote the organization’s marketing, advertising, and promotional activities.
He/she is also responsible for leading a company’s marketing efforts using new media and digital tools.
The digital media specialist work description also involves assisting and supporting the communications team in order to ensure the development of effective internal and external digital communications processes.
It also includes the daily tasks of maintaining the organization’s website and intranet while also supporting the delivery of the digital strategy.
The digital media specialist may also use specialized software to create media, such as email marketing, YouTube videos, and even landing pages for the purpose of internet marketing.
He/she is responsible for managing social media channels, such as Facebook and Twitter, and some specialized social media channels such as Pinterest, Reddit, or Tumblr by updating the accounts with relevant content, as well as responding carefully to inquiries or complaints that may arise from social media correspondence.
He/she also develops and implements a well-defined plan for the organization’s digital strategy which may include ways to improve marketing or public relations.
A digital media specialist is also responsible for carrying out technical and non-technical writing functions such as writing press releases, blogs, articles or brochures.
He/she is also expected to write technical communication such as manuals and transcripts; and sometimes writing in HTML and CSS for the development of websites or additional web pages.
Becoming a Digital Media Specialist
Individuals who are interested in working as a digital media specialist are expected to possess or demonstrate some skills and abilities, such as well-developed communication skills, computer proficiency, and the ability to multitask.
They also need to have time management skills, adequate knowledge of content management systems, and the ability to work well in a team.
In terms of academic qualifications, the position of a digital media specialist requires sound educational background. The ideal candidate or interested individual is required to have acquired a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, or Digital Media, or in any other relevant field.
Most employers often demand several years of proven work experience as a digital media specialist or digital marketing manager which can be acquired professionally, or through an internship.
Digital Media Specialist Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Digital media specialists perform various functions in their quest to effectively promote their organizations or clients.
The tasks, duties, and responsibilities commonly performed by digital media specialists are shown in the job description example below:
- Establishing the organization’s web presence in order to boost or promote brand awareness
- Conveying the set advertising target or goals, schedules, and deadlines to team members
- Maintaining a strong and effective online company voice through social media
- Staying abreast or up-to-date with digital media trends and developments
- Liaising and working in relation to marketing, sales, and product development teams in order to ensure effective and efficient brand consistency
- Providing training to service users on how to use content management systems
- Effectively overseeing, monitoring, and analyzing the performance of several digital channels
- • Ensuring that communications are developed across their corporate digital channels, which may include ensuring that corporate website is up-to-date, relevant, and on brand
- • Delivering advice to internal teams on the most effective and efficient way to publish their digital content
- Ensuring that government policies, standards, and procedures for digital content accessibility are strictly adhered to.
Digital Media Specialist Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a digital media specialist or are presently working in that position and are preparing a resume for another job, you will need to include the professional or job experience section.
The professional experience section enables you to clearly state the functions you have successfully carried out as a digital media specialist, or that you are currently performing.
You can quickly create the professional experience section of your resume by applying the digital media specialist duties and responsibilities provided in the sample job description above.
Digital Media Specialist Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a digital media specialist, recruiters will want you to meet certain requirements to be qualified for the position.
This is to be sure that they are getting only candidates who can effectively perform the digital media specialist role in their organizations.
Shown below are major requirements applicants seeking the digital media specialist job may be asked to fulfill to be hired for the position:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills which enable the digital media specialist to communicate with a wide range of people at all levels of the organization; possess strong proofreading skills, and translate technical information, and convey it to a lay audience
- Several years of proven work experience as a digital media specialist or digital marketing manager
- Ability to multitask and perform effectively under pressure and tight deadlines; the ability to be calm and understand the work process of others, and the ability to be a team player
- Sound knowledge of necessary software, such as Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Audacity, and other media editing software
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, or Digital Media, or in any other relevant field.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the digital media specialist position in your organization, you can create a detailed description of the job to inform prospective candidates of the duties they will be assigned to perform if hired by applying the above digital media specialist job description.
You can also apply this post if you are interested in the digital media specialist career to increase your knowledge of what the role does.
Did this article help you learn more about what digital media specialists do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You can also discuss your job description if you work as a digital media specialist.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.