Data Researcher Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post discusses the job description of a data researcher to help you understand what they do. It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly make up the data researcher work description in most organizations.
This post also provides the major requirements most recruiters will want prospective candidates for the data researcher job to meet to be qualified to access the position.
Please, continue reading to increase your knowledge of the data researcher career:
What Does a Data Researcher Do?
The data researcher is responsible for the research and management of data relevant to an organization, ensuring quality, completeness, and integrity, to enhance day-to-day operations and improved accuracy and efficiency in data processes, or to aid decision-making.
They work for educational institutions, technology companies, institutes for research, etc.
They are responsible for the design, collection, analysis and review of research and evaluation data, as well as the dissemination of statistics that are objective, accurate, and timely.
The data researcher job description also entails developing spreadsheets and data bases to support project activities, and providing quantitative and qualitative analysis and interpretation of findings to aid decision making.
It also involves working with large amounts of data and developing actionable intelligence from the analysis.
Data researchers also provide support to the sales team and the sales process by developing analyses for sales pitches and press releases.
They are also responsible for carrying out ad hoc analyses in response to client requests. They also help to identify new opportunities for market research; performing analysis and developing data-driven models.
The data researcher work description also involves developing and applying statistical models for estimation and prediction of corporate performance across various sectors.
Data Researcher Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Data researchers perform various functions, which primarily involve researching and identifying entities (companies, brands, people, etc.), beliefs, systems, processes, events etc., and actions related to them from different content sources, and processing collected data in an accurate manner using technical knowledge.
They are also responsible for the quality, accuracy, and completeness of the data.
The primary duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make up the data researcher job description are listed below:
- Responsible for modeling information from the media using internally developed tools
- Take part in product planning meetings and provide statistical backed guidance on product development
- Work collaboratively with the Data Strategy team where applicable, to develop an engagement plan for researchers
- Make addition to the development of training materials and strategies related to the organization’s projects
- Work together with other researchers to collect, process, and understand data that can facilitate clients’ decisions
- Responsible for the design, validation, and visualization of data-driven models, including machine learning approaches, to understand social and behavioral phenomena in support of the institution’s mission
- Responsible for collecting and analyzing text and other data from websites and other sources using APIs and custom code
- Responsible for creating structured datasets from large, unstructured data that describe people, activities, and behavior; social networks, communication, and other social phenomena of interest
- Work together with experts to pioneer new approaches to research by integrating diverse data sources
- Responsible for analyzing and interpreting experimental data
- Responsible for communicating findings to project teams and other technical and non-technical stakeholders.
Data Researcher Job Description for Resume
You can use the sample data researcher job description above in making the professional or job experience section of your resume.
If you have worked before as a data researcher or are presently working in that role and are preparing a resume for a new job, it will be beneficial to add the professional experience section to your resume.
This section helps you show the recruiter that you have been successful performing the duties of a data researcher.
You can easily and quickly create this section by adopting the data researcher duties and responsibilities shown in the sample job description above.
Data Researcher Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking to work as a data researcher, recruiters will generally ask you to meet certain requirements to be qualified to access the position.
This is to prove that you will be effective in carrying out the obligations, purpose, and objectives of the data researcher role if employed by the organization.
Shown below are major requirements, which applicants for the data researcher position are commonly expected to meet to be able to access it:
- Education: Employers require at least a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Economics; Mathematics, Statistics, or Computer Science; Operations Research or in a related field. However, an MS, PhD, or other advanced graduate degree is preferred
- Knowledge: To work as a data researcher, applicants must possess an understanding of the industry they are seeking to work in. In addition to industry knowledge, employers also look out for candidates with hands-on experience compiling and analyzing complex, high volume, and dimensional datasets
- Employers also require a solid and proven knowledge of research methodologies, web and social media applications, and familiarity with web searching tools to source information
- It is also beneficial that applicants have a working knowledge of SQL, R, or Perl; Python, Java, or other languages appropriate for large scale data analysis, as well as experience working with relational and/or NoSQL databases (e.g., MySQL, HBase, Cassandra, Neo4J, etc.)
- Collaborative skills: The data researcher often works with other researchers, sales teams, and product teams to understand the project at hand and provide relevant information. So it is crucial that they have the ability to work in a team-oriented environment, as well as with people from diverse backgrounds
- Interpersonal skills: It is also essential that they have the necessary skills to build rapport, establish meaningful relationships, manage, and build a team
- Computer skills: Data researchers utilize the computer as a primary tool; hence, they must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word. They must also be familiar with Google Documents, data visualization software (e.g., plot.ly or Tableau), and statistical analysis software applications
- Attention to detail: The data researcher is responsible for the accuracy, quality, and integrity of data. Therefore, it is crucial that they pay attention to detail and have a drive for excellence
- Communication skills: After performing data analysis, it s the responsibility of the data researcher to convey and explain findings to varying audiences with a technical or non-technical background. In view of this, it is important that they can draft clear and concise documentation, reports, and specifications, as well as communicate verbally to the relevant parties.
If you are a recruiter or HR manager needing to hire for the data researcher position in your organization, you will need to make a description of the vacant role so that individuals who are interested in the job will know the duties and responsibilities they will be assigned to perform if hired.
The data researcher job description example above will help you in writing the perfect description of the role for your organization.
The information on this page is also helpful to individuals interested in the data researcher career to learn about the kind of duties commonly assigned to the role. This will enable them to decide correctly if it’s the career they will like to pursue.
Did this post increase your knowledge of what data researchers do? Please, make a comment in the box below. You may also share your job description if you work as a data researcher.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.