Costco Forklift Driver Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides complete information on the job description of the forklift driver at Costco, to enable you to have an in-depth understanding of what they do.
Also, it highlights the key duties and responsibilities that define the Costco forklift driver’s work description.
This post also provides typical requirements that you may be expected to meet in order to be hired at Costco or any similar company for the position of a forklift driver.
Kindly read on:
What is Costco?
Costco is a membership warehouse club with the goal of giving its members the best possible prices on quality brand-name merchandise.
With hundreds of branches worldwide, Costco provides a very wide selection of merchandise, added to the convenience of specialty departments and its exclusive member services, all fashioned to make the shopping experience a pleasurable one.
What Does a Costco Forklift Driver Do?
A Costco forklift driver is responsible for ensuring the safe and proficient use of the forklift in lifting up, moving, and packing of merchandise.
They lessen the damage to merchandise and work hazards that often occur with lifting of overwhelming burdens.
The forklift driver must be a safety conscious individual who adheres to all safety procedures and regulations established by the company.
They inspect all products to be moved and ensure that they’re accurately and safely moved to the factory.
They load and offload materials onto pallets and vehicles and off them.
Costco Forklift Driver Job Description Example/Template/Sample
The Costco forklift driver job description typically consists of the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Use the forklift to move merchandise from one place to another
- Operate other controls or mechanical devices that operate lifting devices like lift beams
- Load, unload, pack, and move materials
- Inspect all products to be moved for accuracy, and safely move them to the warehouse
- Load and offload materials onto skids, pallets, and vehicles, and also off them
- Place the forklift or any other lifting tool over, under, or around loaded boxes, skids or pallets
- Ensure that the loaded materials to be transported are secure
- Ensure that products are safely moved to their various designated areas
- Weigh merchandize and record the weight or other production data on tags or labels
- Observe and comply with environment, quality, health, and safety procedures
- Personally check all quality descriptions of the merchandise which are to be moved
- Ensure that all products are stacked properly
- Carry out routine checks on the forklift and similar devices
- Report to the warehouse supervisor or manager
- Stack and empty the inbound shipments
- Perform a quality check on all the inbound merchandise
- Carry out regular checks and maintenance on forklift and other control equipment
- Recognize and report electrical and mechanical flaws to the warehouse manager
- Pack merchandise in the stockroom or warehouse manually
- Move items from the stockroom to different units inside the organization by utilizing either the forklift or by hand
- Pack and move different things apart from products as instructed by the supervisor
- Move chemicals, wastes, and other items using the forklift
- Drive trucks and/or any other movable machine(s)
- Place the forklift under, over, or around loaded boxes or pallets.
Costco Forklift Driver Job Description for Resume
To get a new job with Costco or other companies, you will need to write and send a good resume/CV to hiring managers.
A part of this document that must be prepared well to get the employer’s attention is the Job, Work, or Career Experience section, where you show that indeed you have carried out the duties and responsibilities of roles that are relevant to the position you are seeking.
Therefore, if you have worked before in the position of a forklift driver or are presently working in that role, you can apply the above sample Costco forklift driver job description in preparing the Job Experience section of your resume/CV.
This will help boost your resume/CV’s ability to get you an interview, especially if the position you are applying for requires candidates to have some work experience as a forklift driver with Costco or other similar companies.
Costco Forklift Driver Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge for a Successful Career
The role of a forklift driver requires individuals to have certain skills and abilities to excel in it.
Below are major requirements that employers usually expect applicants to meet to qualify to work as a forklift driver in their companies:
- Must possess a lot of physical strength and stamina
- Must possess the necessary certificates and training to drive a forklift
- Must have the necessary safety certificates and training, and must be safety conscious
- Must be of the stipulated legal age by the law for the forklift driver position. Ideally 18 years of age or above
- Must have a good vision and sound health to be able to work in extreme temperatures when required
- Must possess the required experience for a forklift driver
- Must be willing to work flexible shifts, required to load or unload cargo during holidays, weekends, or even at night
- Must possess excellent communication skills to listen to and take instructions from the warehouse manager and strictly adhere to them
- Must possess the ability to work in a high pressure environment
- Must possess a minimum of high school diploma to be able to handle paperwork associated with the job of driving forklifts effectively.
If you are looking to get into the career of a forklift driver at Costco or similar companies and want to learn the roles and job descriptions of the position, then you will find this post helpful.
Employers/recruiters operating in the same industry as Costco can also use/apply the sample Costco forklift driver job description provided above when making one for their company, to use in finding the best candidates and recruiting them for the role.