Construction Painter Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
This post provides exhaustive information on the job description of a construction painter, to increase your knowledge of what they do.
It presents the key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that commonly define the construction painter work description in most organizations.
This post also shows major requirements that you may be expected to meet by recruiters if you are seeking the job of a construction painter.
Please, continue reading to learn more about the construction painter career:
What Does a Construction Painter Do?
A construction painter applies paint, stain, and coatings to a wide variety of structures, including walls, interiors, and exteriors of buildings, and bridges.
They may work both indoors and outdoors and on high and low-rise structures executing general and custom maintenance painting and finishing.
Construction painters read blueprints/instructions and examine surfaces to ascertain the kind and amount of work required and costs involved in executing the project.
The construction painter job description entails making on-site preparations such as building scaffolding, covering fixtures, etc., as well as preparing walls and other surfaces for painting by scraping using sandpaper in removing old paint.
It also involves utilizing appropriate materials to fill cracks and holes, as well as applying a variety of tools to paint surfaces according to instructions.
Construction painters are also responsible for ordering paint supplies and mixing the paint and other materials to achieve the desired color or texture.
When executing job tasks, they are required to adhere to all health and safety precautions and also submit finished work orders to supervisor.
The construction painter work description also entails preparing a weekly progress report to be submitted to management.
The report helps to ensure timely project completion and to call attention to any issues arising from the worksite.
Construction Painter Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Construction painters work on a variety of structures including ones with extreme heights.
They are responsible for preparing surfaces of buildings and other structures for painting using various methods, including scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting, and steam-cleaning, as well as apply paints and other finishes to interior/exterior of walls and ceilings of buildings and other structures.
The primary tasks, duties, and responsibilities of a construction painter are listed in the job description example below:
- Confer with the appropriate authority in reading and interpreting job orders
- Responsible for preparing cost estimates and product proposal
- Appropriately mix paint colors following determined formulas approved by management
- Perform pre-painting activities including scraping, sandpaper, and repair of cracks and holes before conducting general finishing
- Execute pre-emptive maintenance to ensure long-lasting colors and minimize future damages
- Accomplish custom painting tasks as per the contractor advise
- Responsible for the maintenance of ventilation, compressed air, and personal protective equipment, and report any issues with equipment to management
- Responsible for the application of paints using rollers, brushes, spray guns, and finishes drywall using standard or specialized tool
- Responsible for cleaning all equipment, including brushes and spray guns after use
- Execute tasks using scaffolding and ladders to reach high ceilings or walls.
Construction Painter Job Description for Resume
If you have worked before as a construction painter or are presently working in that role and are making a new resume, then you can create the professional experience section of the resume by applying the construction painter duties and responsibilities contained in the sample job description above.
It is important to emphasize your work experience as a construction painter in your resume if the information is relevant to the new job that you are seeking.
So, go ahead to apply the above construction painter job description example in creating the professional or work experience section of your resume.
Construction Painter Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for Career Success
If you are seeking the job of a construction painter, here are major requirements most recruiters may want you to meet:
- Education: To work as a construction painter, applicants are required to have a High School diploma or equivalent qualification
- Knowledge: They are required to have proven experience as a painter with specialization in restoration and rehabilitation for both high-rise and low-rise properties, familiarity with painting material and how to select, mix and apply them; and solid knowledge of commercial and construction painting techniques
- They are also required to have skills in using appropriate tools such as brushes, caulking guns, etc. and expertise with finishing tools useful in the appropriate selection of spray gun nozzles, paint spray equipment, and other ventilation and air compressor
- It is also important that they are conversant with and able to perform general maintenance of buildings and equipment. Also, they must be skilled in reading and interpreting blueprints, grade plans, maps, drawings, and specifications
- Math Skills: They should have good basic math skills to accurately calculate project costs, quantity of materials needed, and to execute some tasks requiring measurement
- Detail-orientation: For painters to consistently deliver quality work, they must be thorough with great attention to detail
- Language Skills: They must be proficient in English language to communicate with clients, supervisors, and other parties to the contract
- Physical Requirements: Construction painters may work under extreme weather conditions and heights. So, it is essential that they have the ability to handle heavy loads as work is physically demanding, agility with excellent balance to work on scaffolding/ladders, and must be able to work outdoors and in changing weather conditions
- Team Player: Construction painters must be flexible and able to work with others, contributing their quota to the work on hand with the focus of satisfying the requirements of the client.
Construction Painter Salary
The average annual salary of a construction painter is $29,482 per annum.
Some construction workers earn as high as $39,529 and some as low as $26,491 annually, but the majority of people in this trade or occupation earn an average annual salary of $29,482.
If you are a recruiter looking to hire for the construction painter position, you will need to publish a detailed description of the role so that interested individuals will learn about the expected duties and responsibilities they will perform if hired.
To make the description that perfectly matches the construction painter’s job in your organization you can apply the sample provided on this page.
This article is also helpful to individuals interested in the construction painter career, to learn all they need to about what they do?
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.