Application Support Analyst Job Description, Key Duties and Responsibilities
If you are looking for information about the job description of an application support analyst, you are on the right page as this post highlights the duties, tasks, and responsibilities of the role.
This post also provides the major requirements seekers of the application support analyst job are commonly asked to meet to qualify to access the position by recruiters. Read on:
What Does an Application Support Analyst Do?
Application support analysts are responsible for fixing application and system problems or any incident that is disrupting the application service that business users depend on.
They work in software companies and with game developers and technology manufacturers, etc.
The application support analyst job description entails ensuring excellent customer service through the application of customer support skills, business, and technical knowledge to triage, diagnose, troubleshoot, and escalate or resolve customer application issues.
It also involves providing exemplary service to clients in handling technical inquiries, proactively managing all application support issues, and maintaining the stability of Compliance’s Software Products.
Application support analysts are responsible for providing “Level 1 & 2” technical support for the organization’s internal applications.
They also assist the Application Support Lead in developing and ensuring adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and implementing best practices for achieving support objectives.
The application support analyst work description also entails ensuring a smooth and effective operation of applications and round the clock availability of the systems through careful monitoring of infrastructure, production processes, and automating procedures via scripting and performing Permit to operate on each application release.
To become an application support analyst, individuals interested in the career must command competent IT literacy around applications and systems.
They must have a firm grasp of core technical areas, including databases and SQL and operating system platforms such as UNIX and especially Solaris and Windows.
They must also possess excellent communication skills, customer support abilities, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
Application Support Analyst Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Application support analysts perform a variety of functions in order to ensure that all applications run smoothly, and that all customer inquiries are appropriately addressed.
They provide first and second line application support, resolving technical queries, and communicating solutions directly to customers.
The major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that make up the application support analyst job description are shown below:
- Responsible for monitoring and responding to open tickets submitted through an incident management system
- Troubleshoot and escalate alerts that cannot be resolved to appropriate section
- Prioritize and handle service requests and incidents
- Progress issues and provide relevant information for troubleshooting or for clarification
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and contribute to departmental initiatives
- Responsible for improving and documenting the technical processes around application support (using Confluence)
- Work collaboratively with Account Managers on change requests, managing issues and establishing priorities
- Handle late night and weekend emergency support on as required
- Resolve system problems during non-business hours or backlogs by providing off-hours support as needed
- Ensure the performance of daily health checks of the applications, scripts, and infrastructure by support team
- Responsible for installing, configuring, and administering application servers
- Responsible for the set-up and configuration of WebLogic plug-ins for Apache web server, iPlanet, IBM HTTP server, Janus and FAST
- Utilize Oracle Entitlements Server (OES 10.x) to provide a unified security infrastructure to distributed applications
- Responsible for implementing business processes using Oracle BPM 10.x or other applicable tools
- Responsible for the set-up of interconnections to external interfaces, including Java, Mail server, RDBMS, and web services
- Configure SSL certificates 91-way and 2-way) using Open ssl and Java Keytool for single domain and multi domain, to secure web applications with https protocols
- Develop scripts works with team to automate repeatable manual tasks
- Responsible for troubleshooting and resolving application or infrastructure issues.
Application Support Analyst Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities for a Successful Career
If you are seeking the job of an application support analyst, you will need to meet certain requirements, including skills, abilities, experience, etc. to show that you will be effective in carrying out the obligations, objectives, and purpose of the position that will be assigned to you.
Here are major application support analyst requirements most recruiters may want you to meet to be hired for the role:
- Education: Individuals seeking the job of an application support analyst require a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in a related technical or business area
- Knowledge: They must possess hands-on experience working in an applications production support/application development environment. They must also possess detailed knowledge of multiple systems, as well as an in-depth understanding of the functionality for these systems to troubleshoot and resolve application or infrastructure issues
- They may also require Java scripting and Geneos configuration experience in UNIX environment; familiarity with implementation of DevOps, and Risk applications. Also, they may also require Production Support, implementation and system management experience
- They also require at least a basic knowledge of SQL and HTML/CSS, and experience/working knowledge of ITIL compliant incident, problem and change service management. It is considered to be a plus to the application support analyst
- Collaborative skills: They require the ability to work with effectively with cross-functional teams
- Communications skills: They must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills for documentation and customer support duties, and must also be comfortable communicating complex concepts to others having diverse levels of seniority and technical competence
- Customer service skills: They must possess demonstrated ability to provide customer support and deal with escalated customer issues
- Problem- solving skills: They must be naturally curious and creative individuals with a drive to proffer solutions to problems, as well as with a passion for innovation
- Interpersonal skills: They require this skill to effectively influence and communicate cross-functionally
- Organizational skills: They require the ability to multi-task, effectively prioritize work, and adapt during pressured situations.
This post is helpful to employers looking to write a description for an application support analyst position in their company.
They can apply the sample application support analyst job description provided above in creating a detailed description of the role for use in hiring competent candidates for the position.
This post is also helpful to individuals interested in getting into the application support analyst career to learn all they need to about the duties and responsibilities of the job.
Did this article help you learn about what application support analysts do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You may also discuss your job description if you work as an application support analyst.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.