American Airlines Hiring Process: Job Application, Interview, and Employment
The hiring process at the American Airlines involves various stages, including the job application and interview processes you need to complete to gain employment at the Company.
Please, read on to learn about the American Airlines recruitment process and increase your chances of getting hired at the Company:
American Airlines Company Overview
American Airlines, commonly abbreviated as “AA” is a major airline in the U.S, having its headquarters at Fort Worth, Texas.
The airline began its operation in the year 1930 through a union of over eighty small airlines. It was originated from two organizations – Robertson Aircraft and colonial Air Transport.
Currently, American Airlines is the largest airline in the world, in terms of fleet size, scheduled passengers carried, revenue, and the numbers of destinations served.
Moreover, American Airlines provides services to thousands of passengers daily and tens of millions of passengers yearly.
It is also one of the founding members of Oneworld Alliance, which is one of the world’s largest alliances.
The American Airlines Hiring Process
American Airlines usually hires its employees through an established process which consists of the following stages:
- The Job Application Process
Applicants who are seeking to get a job from American Airlines can begin their job pursuit by submitting a job application to American Airlines via LinkedIn or the company’s official website. Ensure to attach your resume alongside the application, and confirm if it was submitted successfully.
According to some employees, you should receive a message via your email confirming the reception of your application.
When American Airlines receives your application, it will take a few weeks for them to reach out to you, in order to continue the hiring process.
In addition, filling and submitting the online form wouldn’t take much of your time, but about 15 to 30 minutes.
2. Assessment Test
Taking an assessment test is a compulsory part of American Airlines hiring process. This assessment involves a personality test or situational judgmental test.
Also, it might be necessary for you to take a pilot test, depending on the position you applied for.
Now, the reason you are offered a personality test is to assess behavior and personality in comparison with the job.
The assessment test will also aid the recruiters to know if you are able to perform the duties required for the job and if you are suitable for the position.
You will be asked questions that relate with work activities such as leadership skills, dealing with pressure and stress, and problem solving skills.
Prior to this assessment, it is advised to determine which personality qualities are needed by American Airlines and your preferred role.
3. Interview Process
The interview process of American Airlines is the last part of the hiring process, and it is quite different from the interview conducted by other large companies.
Most times, about six applicants will be interviewed simultaneously, and will also be given a task to perform.
The task given to them is to discover how each of them can work in a team efficiently. This is a group interview.
Moreover, you will be interviewed alone with the hiring personnel, after you must have successfully passed the group interview.
During this face-to-face interview, you will be asked more difficult questions, which might put you under pressure.
These are some of the American Airlines interview questions that may be asked:
- Why do you want to be an American Airlines staff?
- Describe the type of employee that you are
- Explain how you confronted a difficult situation and overcame it.
- How would you handle a fellow colleague who is mate with you?
Intensive preparation prior to the interview will reduce pressure and build up confidence during the interview process.
Here are some tips to aid your preparation:
- Always show foresight and poise when answering a question.
- It is highly recommended to make research on the company, their core values, and what they desire from an employee.
- Try as much as possible to be specific when answering questions during the interview.
- You should have strong work ethics and also develop goals to help the company as an employee.
4. American Airlines Orientation and Training
Newly employed applicants at American Airlines usually participate in an intensive training and orientation, which educates and informs them about their roles and the principles of the company.
Some positions do not require a long-term training, while some demand a very long training which may last for several weeks.
Moreover, American Airlines has a special department in charge of the orientation and training process, and they also make it a bit easy for the participants to undergo the process.
How Long Does American Airlines Hiring Last?
The whole hiring process offered by American Airlines usually last for several weeks, and after the interview, it takes about ten to fifteen days before you can get a response from them.
Sometimes, hiring managers don’t recruit an applicant immediately, probably due to their performance at the interview. They normally take their time considering if the applicant should get the job.
However, there have been employees who got the job as soon as they finished participating in the interview. This is as a result of their excellent interview performance and absolute suitability for the job.
Major American Airlines Jobs and Careers
The jobs and careers that can be accessed and applied to at America Airlines are numerous, but here are some of the most significant ones:
- Airframe and power plant mechanic: Airframe and power plant mechanics are employed by American Airlines to troubleshoot the engines and systems of aircrafts, repair and replace parts if necessary. Also, an airframe and power plant mechanic must be able to perform structural repairs.
- Ground service equipment mechanic: This role is employed to service and conduct repairs of ground service equipment such as aircraft tugs, towing tractors, portable stirs, fuel and food, staff buses, and automobiles of the company.
- Cabin serviceman: A cabin service personnel is employed to be engaged in the performance of interior cabin cleaning, lavatory tank, servicing any kind of aircrafts, and setting-up of cabin supply. A cabin serviceman is also responsible for collecting and removing trash from passenger, emptying trash cans, vacuuming and weeping floors.
- Customer service representative: this personnel is responsible for dealing directly with passengers at airport locations, by providing answers to questions relating to fares and schedules, aircraft, performing service irregularities, and process slight claim settlements. He or she will also be in charge handling baggage and cargo, dispatching aircraft, and sales and services of air freight.
- Fleet service clerk: This individual is employed to take the responsibility of performing vital operations in areas such as cabin services, air freight, and line cargo.
- Flight attendant: This role is responsible for ensuring passenger safety. The duties associated with this role involve beverage and food service, providing leadership during flight misdeeds, and providing assistance to passengers.
- Sales representative: This role is responsible for selling American Airlines seats and other services that are related to travel agencies and corporate communities.
What to Expect Working at American Airlines
American Airlines is a good place to work, due to the amazing opportunity to get promoted, your ability to trade hours, and very nice colleagues who are supportive.
Many employees can attest to the good benefits and wages offered by the company to their workers.
However, some previous employees say that there are no good and considerate managers, and workers are not friends with the boss and find it difficult to get promoted.
Some employees also say that the job can be sometimes very stressful, depending on your role.
American Airlines is a thriving establishment that is known all over the world. Thousands of employees have been privileged to secure a job and then build a successful career.
The information provided in this article will aid applicants who are in pursuit for a job at American airlines.
The hiring process of the company is made available in details, and there are specific directions on how to pass through the process.
The correct application of this information can make you end up as a staff of American airlines.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.