Amazon Hiring Process: Job Application, Interviews and Employment
The hiring process at Amazon consists of various stages, including the job application and interview processes you must complete successfully to be employed by the Company.
Please, continue reading to learn about the Amazon recruitment process and improve your chances of gaining employment with the Company:
Amazon Company Overview
Amazon Inc. is an American multinational establishment that strictly focuses on e-commerce, digital streaming, cloud computing, and artificial intelligence.
It is ranked among the four world’s largest companies (Google, Apple, and Facebook are the other three).
Amazon is well respected and valued for being the largest e-commerce marketplace in the world, and it is also known for utilizing technological innovation and mass scale to distribute industries that are well established.
The company was founded by Jeff Bezos in the year 1994 in Bellevue, Washington.
Initially, Amazon began as an online marketplace for the sales of just books, but later evolved and started selling software, electronics, video, furniture, toys, food, apparel, jewelry, and games in 2015.
Currently, Amazon is the second biggest employer in U.S and one of the most significant retailers in the world.
The Amazon Hiring Process
Amazon usually hires an applicant as a permanent or temporary staff, after he or she must have passed through the hiring process of the company.
Amazon hiring process consists of the following stages:
- The Application Process
Just like other companies, the first step to take when applying for a job at Amazon is by filling and submitting an application form.
Simply visit the company’s official website, fill out the application form with all the necessary information required from you.
Specifically choose the role you wish, and ensure to get a confirmation that your application has been received by Amazon.
2. Online Assessment Test
Once your application has been received and Amazon chooses to continue the hiring process, you will undergo an online assessment test to enable the company know you better, and decide if you are fit for the role you applied for.
Amazon normally has interest in highly competent candidates, and this assessment test is being conducted to determine that.
Sometimes, this assessment can be taken during your online application initially, but this depends on the position you chose.
Also, the assessment test varies from each other, depending on the type of job you applied for. You must complete the assessment test with the time-frame given to you.
Moreover, the online assessment test will last less than an hour to complete, and you might provide answers to questions based on leadership principles.
3. Interview Process
One or two weeks after you have successfully passed the online assessment test, your recruiter will contact you via the phone to conduct a phone interview which will last for some minutes.
Just like other large companies, Amazon usually conducts phone interviews to know if it’s necessary for the applicant to be invited for the in-person interview, which will require such applicant to fly across the country over Seattle.
If you perform excellently during the phone interview, Amazon will invite you to come over to Seattle, Washington (which is the company’s base) for the actual in-person interview.
This interview will be a bit hectic. It is usually a series of five consecutive interviews that takes about 45 minutes respectively. Almost all questions during the interview are based on behavior and Amazon leadership principles.
During the Amazon interview, you may be required to answer questions such as:
- Are there any physical restrictions that might prevent you from doing your job efficiently?
- Have you ever had a conflict at your place of work, and what was it like?
- Safety is highly prioritized here, how do you ensure your safety all the time, even when you quickly need to fill an order?
- What are the necessary qualities for you to be a successful Amazon employee?
Preparing immensely for the interview is very vital. Most of the candidates who succeeded at the interview prepared two or three months before the interview occurred.
Here some tips to aid your interview preparation for an Amazon job:
- It’s very important to have a vast knowledge of Amazon’s leadership principles, since most of the interview questions will be based on it.
- Research on what the company is all about, including their core values and what interest them in an employee.
- Put on an appropriate outfit for the interview.
- Don’t be in a rush to answers questions so that the interviewer won’t think you are nervous.
4. Amazon Orientation
A newly employed individual at Amazon must experience the company’s orientation process before receiving his or her office in the company.
Prior to the orientation, you will be notified to come along with a pen and personal papers. The whole process takes just a few hours to conclude, and it’s a learning process that educates you on your assigned role and some vital things about Amazon.
How Long Does Amazon Hiring Process Take?
After concluding the whole Amazon hiring process, including the in-person interview, you should be called for employment if the company has interest in you. It might take about two weeks to receive this call.
However, some applicants have complained about not getting a response from Amazon after going through the entire hiring process. This might be as a result of their unsuitability to be an Amazon employer.
Major Jobs and Careers at Amazon
Numerous jobs and careers are commonly available at Amazon, but here are a few of them:
- Program manager: a program manager is hired to efficiently identify, design, and drive solutions to ensure the improvement of customers’ experience at Amazon.
- Business intelligent engineer: a business intelligence engineer works with Amazon’s team that is in charge of marketing and sales of product, in order to build tools that are automated and scalable, which will definitely be a practice ensuring the company’s growth.
- Marketing data scientist: is in charge of taking the insights of a consumer. Will also be a facilitator of innovation on behalf of the company’s customers via prototyping and bringing complete functional POCs (proof of concepts).
- Software development engineer: a software development engineer helps the team to evolve the AWS Marketplace to the next stage. Also, the software development engineer will have vital portions of the product and will be influential on the company’s strategy by rendering help to know the next wave of system architecture and product features.
- Financial analyst: a financial analyst at Amazon is in charge of building, preparing, and maintaining an absolute view of the performance of ad hoc project. A financial analyst also creates reports and metrics to provide a very good visibility and drive goals that are actionable with the business.
What to Expect Working at Amazon
Workers at Amazon usually experience a flexible working schedule, which gives them sometime to perform personal activities.
Colleagues at the company are very cooperative and render work-related help to each other when needed.
Amazon pays a very decent wage, even if you are just starting the job.
However, some former employees normally say the company creates a hostile work environment in some departments.
Moreover, the break times offered by Amazon are inadequate because of the distance between the break rooms and the job sites.
Becoming a staff at Amazon can only be made possible by passing through their entire hiring process successfully.
This article has provided a detailed guideline on how an applicant can apply for a job at Amazon, attend an interview, and complete the entire hiring process.
If you carefully follow the steps outlined above correctly, you are sure to increase your chances of being employed by Amazon.