Youth Worker Job Description Sample
What Does a Youth Worker Do?
A youth worker is a trained person who works with young people, coordinating, organizing, and planning programs and social activities targeted toward their personal, educational, behavioral, developmental, psychological, and emotional growth.
The job description of the youth worker is aimed at making young people better by dealing with issues of complex, and giving them the confidence they need to excel in life.
Recognizing the need for education, youth workers encourage young people to acquire formal education, and also organize educational activities to help them become more intellectually sound.
They work closely with young people and help them discover their potentials most especially when they cannot seem to discover these hidden potentials on their own.
As instructors, they try to inculcate good values and positive attitude in young people by teaching them these values and how they affect their lives.
Youth empowerment is a top priority to this worker. He /she goes all the way to empower young people with practical skills and knowledge by organizing skill acquisition programs and seminars that can help them become financially independent and self employed.
He/she understands the challenges young people go through, and plays the role of counselor by giving them useful advice and tips on how to deal with issues rationally.
Other duties they do include helping young people to get through social vices and addictions, such as drugs, smoking, bullying, sexual vices, and heavy drinking.
They serve as mentors to young people and as such lead an exemplary life worthy of admiration and imitation.
In order to ensure that young people express their potentials in a healthy environment, the youth worker organizes talent shows and other social events for them to perform and entertain themselves.
Youth Worker Job Description Sample
The sample job description below shows key duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make up the major part of the youth worker functions on the job.
- Evaluate the needs of young people and outline measures to address them
- Carryout administrative work by recording information of young peoples’ activities
- Attend to young people in counseling sessions to know their problems
- Liaise with parents of young people and community leaders to organize youth empowerment programs and activities
- Source for funds from private organizations and government to fund youth oriented programs
- Train new staff and other volunteers on how to deal with young people
- Advocate for young people when they are in trouble with either their families or the community and government
- Make contributions in the formulation of policies that relate to young people in the society
- Help young people with resources they lack such as food, clothing, and even shelter
- Help victims of abuse and molestation to get over it through specialized therapies
- Intimate young people with community resources and government interventions that are available and beneficial to them
- Plan and assess employment programs for young people
Preparing a resume for the youth worker position:
The work experience section of the youth worker resume can be prepared using information from the job description example shown above.
All you need to do is to make sure the duties and responsibilities provided are tailored to meet your actual experience on the job.
Requirements – Qualities – Skills and Abilities – for the Post of Youth Worker
Below are vital skills and abilities youth workers are usually required by employers to have to be effective on the job:
- Good communication skills
- Good human relations
- Good motivational skills
- Good organizational skills
- Have a positive attitude
- Possess the ability to multitask
- Ability to be patient
- Being innovative.