Wood Pattern Maker Job Description Example
What Does a Wood Pattern Maker Do?
Wood pattern makers construct wooden replicas or patterns used in sand mold casting.
Their job description entails planning, designing, and fabrication of wooden sectional patterns which are used in creating the cavities into which molten metal is poured during casting.
Wood pattern makers utilize various measuring and marking tools such as squares, shrink rule, and scriber in designing wood patterns according to details and specification.
They create sections on wood stock by cutting and shaping wood parts using power tools such as lathe machine, planar, and bandsaw.
They also maintain an up-to-date knowledge of casting process and techniques to ensure designed patterns produces desired results and can be easily retrieved from a mold without any physical damage.
As part of their duties, wood pattern makers ensure produced cast remains within set specification after surface finishing.
Usually, wood pattern makers utilize protractors, calipers, and straightedges to verify the angle and dimension of wooden patterns during assembly.
They carry out surface finishing of designed patterns using lacquers or waxes as finishing agent.
Their role may also involve designing wooden models which serve as prototypes for an original concept.
They use paint and color codes on the surface of a pattern to indicate compatible sections for easy assembly.
They often liaise with designers and production engineers to plan and develop patterns in accordance with set standards and specification.
Also, their work description entails studying and interpreting construction details as contained in a blueprint.
In fulfilling their role, wood pattern makers evaluate the shape, texture and size of produced patterns to make appropriate adjustments and repairs before they are used in a casting process.
They ensure compliance with set safety and health regulations and procedures when performing job operations.
They also oversee the selection and procurement of choice wood stock and other materials required for patternmaking.
As part of their responsibilities, wood pattern makers carry out the methoding of a pattern/mold by means of manual or computer aided design.
Wood pattern makers require at least a high school diploma and several years of training from experienced wood pattern professionals to succeed on the job.
Certifications from technical colleges also increase job prospects for wood pattern maker.
Some of the qualities required to excel on this job include an eye for details, math, and mechanical skills.
Wood Pattern Maker Job Description Example/Template
Wood pattern makers perform various functions, the job description example below shows the major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that make up their daily work activities:
- Read and interpret blueprints and production information to determine the dimension and shape of a pattern
- Utilize various equipment such as sanders, bandsaws, and routers in smoothing, cutting and shaping wooden patterns
- Measure the dimension of produced patterns using straightedges and protractors to ensure accurate size and measurement
- Oversee the set up and operation of woodworking machines such as lathe and powersaws
- Couple and assemble wood parts into sections, patterns or models using bolts, screws, nails or glue
- Oversee the repair and adjustment of damaged or irregular wood patterns to ensure the production of precise cast
- Carry out calculations to determine appropriate dimension, weight, and volume for a wood pattern
- Ensure easy removal of patterns from mold by dividing wood pattern into sections
- Oversee the cost estimation for a wood pattern project to determine the price of production and required materials
- Utilize color codes and paint to indicate techniques for the assembly of wood parts or patterns
- Select choice of wood stock and raw materials for a wood pattern production process
- Maintain record of operations and inventory of equipment, tools, and raw materials
- Apply decorative and preservative finish on wood patterns or models to ensure a fine appearance and long shelf life
- Oversee the construction of wooden models, jigs, molds, and templates used in forming the shape of a product or cast
- Oversee the distribution of supplies and patterns to machine operators
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of wood pattern design and casting techniques by participating in educational programs.
Wood Pattern Maker Resume Preparation
Do you need to make a resume for the wood pattern maker job? If you do, you can easily create the work experience part of it by applying the sample job description given above.
The job experience section of the resume is an opportunity to show that you have previously carried out the duties and responsibilities of a wood pattern maker.
Therefore, if you have actually worked before in that role and are writing a resume, you can simply make use of the functions of the position stated above in highlighting your work experience.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Wood Pattern Maker Job
If you are interested in applying for a wood pattern maker job, the under listed are the necessary requirements most employers usually expect applicants to fulfill to be considered for the job:
- Education and Training: To become a wood pattern maker, you require at least a high school diploma which is among the prerequisites for entry into furniture making or woodworking technical colleges. Job experience can be gained by working as an apprentice under experienced wood pattern makers
- Eye for details: Wood pattern makers are able to focus on the individual parts that make up a pattern to build them up to desired standards or set specification
- Math Skill: They are well versed in performing calculations to establish the dimensions of a wood pattern
- Mechanical Skills: Wood pattern makers are proficient in operating and controlling various power and manual equipment to achieve a desired effect.
Wood Pattern Maker Skills for Resume
Again, if you are making a resume for the wood pattern maker job, you can use the above required qualities for the role in creating the skills section of your resume.
With the skills section in your resume, employers will be able to see the relevant skills and qualities you are bringing to the job, and this will give them the confidence that you will be able to carry out the job description that will be assigned to you effectively.
If you are thinking of working as a wood pattern maker, the duties, tasks, and responsibilities of the role given in this post will help you to know more about what the position entails and if that is what you will like to do for a career.
The job description sample for the position also given above provides employers a template to guide them in making suitable work description for their firms for hiring and assigning tasks to the best capable individuals for the job.
Did you learn more about the duties and responsibilities of wood pattern makers from this post? Do let us know what you think about this post in the comment box below. You can also share the work you do as a wood pattern maker with other readers if you are one.