Where do you see yourself in 5 Years? 20 Best Interview Answers to Wow Employers
At a job interview, when you are asked, “Where do you see yourself five years from now?”, what the interviewer wants to know is not your personal ambition, but how you might stay long with them, planning and building the company together.
They don’t want to lose you so soon after spending lots of dollars hiring and training you.
They might have had some unpleasant experience in the past where they invested heavily in training some staff only for them to quit just after working for a short period.
Most companies would certainly not want such experience to happen again, so they need to know from job applicants in an interview what their plans are for the company in the next five years.
Most employers want to hire someone who would excitedly work his/her way long term toward the growth of the company.
So, here are examples of the best answers to the “where do you see yourself in the next five years?” question that you can adopt and win at an interview:
20 Best Answers to “Where do you see yourself in 5 Years Time?”
1. I appreciate the opportunity to work with an organization that can help me build my career and challenge me to work with great enthusiasm and passion, providing me with the opportunity to use my skills in the growth of the position and the company. From my prior research on your company, I discovered that these opportunities are offered according to the company’s routine, and I know my skills will be valued. I am ready for the opportunity to work with you for the next five years and beyond.
2. Let me start by saying that I’m much excited about working as a cashier with this company, and I want to state that my number one goal is to play my role in the best way I can. And if down the line there’s an opportunity for advancement, I can prove to have the personal qualities required till the next level of responsibility to grab this. I’m also really passionate about the work I do and would love if there are opportunities for me to mentor other employees or new recruits in the next five years or so, and to be successful within this position, perhaps as a manager or supervisor.
3. I am driven to be the best in my career and I reassure working where I’ll be fortunate enough to build my skills and work on major projects with people I can really learn from. With availability of great thinkers in the industry who work here, I’m motivated to build a career here.
4. Well, I’m really excited about this role at Xmaid Consulting because in five years I will prove myself to be a capable hand in the power sector, and I’m sure I will have the opportunity to achieve that in this place. Within me, I seem motivated to take on more managerial tasks in the next few years and potentially even lead in some projects. I see this as a big opportunity to work with some amazing managers.
5. My immediate plan now is to focus on the position that I’m applying for and develop myself for higher responsibilities; it is my goal to gradually move into a supervisory role with hard work within the next 3 to 5 years. I enjoy supporting my team members, and strive to set a good example for others.
6. After five years I want to see myself at senior manager level position in your company so that I can use my knowledge and skills to effectuate great changes, because after a long period of five years as a worker in your company I will make use of a great learning environment such as your company to get more skills and knowledge.
7. I’m very interested in leadership opportunities. In 5 years time, I would love to be in a managerial position – coaching junior workers and assisting them to make a positive contribution to the company. That’s why I’m so thrilled about this position, and with the right facilities and structure in place employees would likely do well and excel at their targets.
8. I would hope that in five years time my hard work and enthusiasm would have resulted to recognition and more responsibility within the organization, and through learning and coaching I would make a big impact on the team.
9. In five years’ time, I see myself advancing with the team, developing and creating new opportunities where the organization can grow. I find this position extremely motivating and exciting. I am excited to experience many challenges lying ahead of me. And therefore, I am eager to invest my five years time learning all aspects of the job and advancing professionally.
10. I always strive to be the best in anything I do and any company that gives me opportunities to work on interesting projects is always my target. I promise to build my skills, and be in the midst of people apt to teach. I would love to start a career here because of some of the most innovative thinkers working here.
11. My long-term goals involve growing with a company that offers the opportunity for me to learn, take on additional responsibilities, and to advance with the team. Once I gain additional experience, I would like to move on from a technical position to management.
12. You know, I don’t have a specific plan, but I do know that I want to stay in this field, doing work in a company where my role seems meaningful. The reason I’m so excited about this position is that I believe it will ensure job satisfaction and career fulfillment for me.
13. I do not have a specific duty in mind, but my motive over the next five years is to remain where I can make big impact. Career growth is clear to me, so I hope to take on more responsibilities and gain more industry awareness along the line. With my vast experience I will help the company to achieve the desired goals in the coming years.
14. Five years from now, I would like to see myself in a management position. I’m going to be learning and acquiring experience, but at last, I want to become a marketing manager. With many things to learn, I will stay where I can work hard for the next five years. I believe opportunities meet serious workers and I want to be in their number.
15. Within the next 5 years, I’m determined to become the best mechanic in your company through excellent service delivery. All my aim is to become a professional in my field so that others can rely on me. I’m sure this will allow me to take on bigger assignments with the company at the appropriate time. In order to enhance my career potential I strive with great efforts toward earning further certifications in my area of specialization.
16. I believe in the company products and the benefit they bring to the customer. I’ve come to discover that this organization uses customer feedback to build the standard of the products and that is what fascinated me to work here long term.
17. In my previous position, my sales grew from $100,000 to $700,000 in just 10 months. By bringing the same sales-focus to XYZ Company, I believe I can increase this department’s sales five-fold over the next five years.
18. Well, in five years I hope to be in a position so enticing such as this one, but with more efforts on the development and progress of the company. In more years to come, I hope to find myself in a mentorship position where I can put my experience to use in helping others coming behind to achieve what I’ve attained.
19. My goal is to work long-term in a company, with a vivid comprehension of my position in the company’s future plans. In 5 years time I expect to have excelled in my current tasks, so by then I expect to be taking on new roles aligned with my field, if possible combining any new development that has been invented between now and then.
20. I want to learn and progress in my position, developing my skills and personal qualities to help the company to grow. I like facing challenges and I hope to constantly meet new challenges as time goes on. My goal is to be the best I can in the company where I work.
If you ever plan not to stay with a company you are interviewing with for a long time, please don’t mention it.
What the hiring manager only wants to know is how you can use your strengths to help the company grow in about five years or more; staying with them for a short period of time would cost them more money and time placing adverts, interviewing and getting a replacement, and they don’t want that.
So, make use of the above examples of our best answers to give a great answer to interviewers when asked the common “Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? At an interview and improve your chances of being hired.
Did you find our answers to “Where do you see yourself in the next five years?” useful? Which of them really interests you? Please make your comment in the box below.