Welder Helper Job Description Example, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Welder Helper Do?
Welder helpers perform various welding, brazing or cutting tasks to assist lead welders during a welding project.
Their job description entails a range of tasks to ensure welders lay down high quality welds.
In performing their duties, welder helpers conduct preventative maintenance of welding equipment and tools.
They inspect working implement to identify faults and facilitate repairs or replacement of worn parts.
They also clean workpieces using grinder or scraper to remove foreign matter such as slag, scale, and rust.
Welding helpers read and interpret production schedule and blueprint to determine the specifications for a project.
They use bracing and measurement tools such as calipers, squares, and straightedges to lay out and assemble metal parts for welding.
Their role also involves evaluating workpieces to ensure they are free of defect and conform to set specifications.
As part of their responsibilities, helpers assist welders in grinding, heat-bending or bolting metal components together in order to obtain required configuration for welding.
They monitor fitting and welding processes to ensure workpieces do not shrink or expand as a result of overheating.
They also lift and load work materials onto welding tables or into positions as directed using hoists, pry bars, and cranes.
Welder helper work description often involves carrying out welding operations under the supervision of an experienced welder.
They use cutting torches and straightening presses to repair metal structures or assemblies.
They also connect cutting torches to gas cylinders or electric power source. Welder helpers in fulfilling their role comply with established safety guidelines and procedures.
They are responsible for starting gasoline engines to activate electric generators for welding operations.
They also set up ladders, scaffolding and other platform necessary to carry out welding activities.
Signaling crane operators or other construction workers to coordinate work operations is also part of the description of welder helpers.
They also carry out various other tasks assigned by welders as may be required.
To find employment as a helper to a welder requires a high school diploma and training or an Associate’s degree in welding technology.
Some of the qualities you will need to develop to be effective in this career include physical strength, communication, and technical skills.
Welder Helper Job Description Example/Template
Welder helpers perform various functions in support of welding works. The duties, tasks, and responsibilities shown below make up the typical job description for the role in most firms:
- Assist lead welders in performing welding, brazing, thermal, and arc cutting operations
- Use hoists, wrenches, and hammers to lift, move, and clamp work materials into position or onto tables
- Oversee the scheduled maintenance of welding and fitting equipment to ensure they are operational
- Transport workpieces to construction sites by manual means or using handtruck
- Place metal components in a furnace to preheat for a period of time
- Use grinders and scrapers to remove rough spots and marks from work pieces to ensure smooth surface
- Prepare objects for crane movement by attaching grappling equipment such as cables and pulleys
- Clean workpieces using chemical solutions to remove impurities such as slag, rust, and grease
- Connect hand torches to fuel gas cylinders or electric power source
- Activate electric generators for welding by starting gasoline engine
- Maintain a clean and hazard free work environment for efficient work operations
- Wear appropriate protective clothing in compliance with safety protocols
- Perform preventative maintenance of welding equipment by lubricating and fixing worn parts
- Maintain good knowledge of welding techniques and processes
- Read and interpret blueprints for a welding project.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Welder Helper Job
If you are thinking of working as a welder helper, here are major requirements most recruiters will expect you to meet to be qualified for the position:
- Education and Training: The welder helper job position does not necessarily require formal education; you can study welding literature and volunteer to work with welders at manufacturing or construction sites. To advance to higher positions, you will require a high school diploma to enroll for a welding apprenticeship or for an associate’s degree in welding technology
- Physical Strength: Helpers assist welders in loading or moving fairly heavy workpieces during work operations
- Communication Skill: They are able to read and comprehend construction blueprint and welding codes
- Technical Skill: They are able to operate welding equipment as well as carry out preventative maintenance of work tools.
Do you need to write a work description for the welder helper role in your company? If you do, then you can use the sample copy provided in this post as a template in making it.
Creating a detailed welder helper description for use in hiring for the position will help you to attract the most effective candidates for the job.
This post also provides individuals who are interested in working as helpers in the welding industry the information they need to know more about what welder helpers do.
Did this post help you in learning about the work of helpers in the welding industry? Please, leave a comment of what you think about this article in the box below. And if you work as a welder helper, you may also share your work activities with us.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.