Valet Parking Attendant Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Valet Parking Attendant Do?
A valet parking attendant works in places like hospitals, restaurants, hotels, and stores where they help patients/guests/customers to park their cars.
His/her job description entails parking and retrieving vehicles for customers safely and promptly, assisting them with movement of luggage/goods.
Valet services are required at various venues, including:
Restaurants or bars: Valet parking attendants help bars and restaurants park their customers cars following specific order as given by the bar or restaurant management.
A bar or restaurant might use the order of parking cars as a marketing strategy. For instance, a restaurant targeting rich customers may direct the parking attendant to park expensive cars in front of the restaurant to describe the status of the restaurant to the public.
Special events: Valets are hired just for the evening or event such as wedding and company executive party, with assigned role to help in efficiently picking up cars and parking them in appropriate order at an off site location or other location that can take many cars.
Casinos: Valet parking services are commonly offered by the major casino firms in the U.S. especially those in Atlantic City, Las Vegas, and Niagara Falls.
Airports: This is another place where valet parking attendants work. They help in visitors and travellers park and retrieve their cars from the right parking locations at airports and airport hotels.
Malls: Retail stores with large number of customers coming for shopping usually need the services of valets to help in parking their vehicles at designated locations such as a reserved lot or a temporary location.
Hospitals: Valet parking service is offered by some hospitals for the convenience of patients, families, and visitors. And where parking space is scarce, parking attendants help to fit in more cars than would have been possible.
Hotels: Valets also find employment in hotels helping in taking guests’ cars to assigned parking locations and properly parking them to maximize space.
Their work description in hotel setting may also involve delivering and picking up of luggage for guests during their arrival and departure.
Valet Parking Attendant Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Valet parking attendants perform various functions in helping to park vehicles effectively in the various places they find employment.
The following job description example shows common duties, tasks, and responsibilities valet parking attendants perform particularly in the hotel industry:
- Open door for guests and visitors and assist them to enter or leave property
- Monitor commercial and personal vehicle traffic such as guest vehicles, limousine, buses, and taxi cabs and give direction to them on property to ensure proper parking of vehicles so as to achieve efficient flow of traffic
- Provide information and directions to guests concerning local area of interest and activities, services, property amenities, and hour of operation
- Ensure parking areas/levels are secure, safe, and clean always, and immediately give report of any observed security problems, unauthorized personnel, or safety/vehicle hazards to the supervisor or manager
- Keep vehicles and vehicle keys secure and safe
- Ensure parking procedures are properly communicated to visitors and guests
- Adhere to all company procedures and policies
- Report all cases of injuries, unsafe work conditions, and accidents to the manager
- Take and complete trainings and certifications in safety
- Protect company assets and ensure proprietary information are kept confidential
- Follow company standard procedure in welcoming and acknowledging all guests and visitors
- Be expectant of guest needs and meet them promptly
- Provide assistance to people with disability
- Thank and show genuine appreciation to guests when necessary
- Employ professional language in communicating with colleagues, guests, and visitors
- Employ appropriate etiquette in answering telephone calls
- Ensure cordial working relationships with other people
- Work effectively and support team to achieve set goals
- Follow company quality assurance standards and expectations in delivering of service
- Walk, sit, or stand for long period of time throughout the work shift
- Push, carry, lift, place, and move items weighing up to 10 pounds by self
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for the Valet Parking Attendant Role
If you are seeking the job of a valet parking attendant and want to know what requirements are commonly set by employers to qualify candidates for the role, the following will guide you:
- Strong ability to communicate in standard English language; read and understand short memos and correspondence, and simple instructions; and to write simple correspondence
- Strong ability to give information to clients, guests, and colleagues in small group setting or one-on-one
- Ability to apply units of American currency in performing simple additions and subtraction, as well as multiplications and divisions
- Knowledge of 24 hour and military time systems and rates applicable to time passed
- Possess any of high school diploma or GED; related work experience of one to three months; or a combination of work experience and education
- Strong ability to operate a manual transmission
- Strong ability to carry out parallel parking
- Possess clean driving record and a valid driver license
- Ability to pass drug screening and criminal background check; and must be at least 21 years old for insurance purposes
- Possess certificate of completing training in Wheelchair Safety provided by the Sovereign Services
- Strong ability to perform physical activities such as standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, crawling, and handling objects, tools, or control, etc. over extended period of time
- Must possess strong vision, e.g. color vision, distance vision, close vision, depth vision, and peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Strong ability to lift and/or move weight of up to 50 pounds frequently, and occasionally up to 75 pounds
- Ability to frequently pull and push on wheelchair of 100 to 350 pounds over long distances
- Ability to work extended hours and flexible schedules
- Pre-employment tests: major employers may require you to take certain assessment tests to be qualified for this position.
If you are an employer hiring for the position of valet parking attendant, you can create an effective description for the role by applying the sample job description provided in this post.
With the detailed work description that you can make, you are sure to be able to attract the best parking attendants to your organization.
This post will also help you to learn about what valet parking attendants do if you are interested in the job.
Did this article improve your knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of valet parking attendants? Do share your thoughts of this post in the comment box below. Do also share your job description if you work as a valet parking attendants in your company.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.