IG Welder Job Description Example, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a TIG Welder Do?
TIG welders are welding experts who use tungsten inert gas welding to fuse metal parts together.
Their job description involves applying TIG welding techniques to produce extremely strong joints on structures such as bridges, automotive bodies, and building framework
In performing their duties, TIG welders join thin metals of varying compositions by operating specialized hand and power tools.
They operate tools such as arc welders, grinders, and buffing machines. They are also responsible for selecting and installing torch tips, filler rods, and flux according to the thickness of metal materials.
TIG welders regulate gas flow and pressure by turning gas cylinder gauges or valves.
They carry out TIG welding on off-road vehicles that use steel or titanium exhaust pipes.
Their role also entails reading and interpreting welding codes and blueprints.
In fulfilling their work description, TIG welders lay out, measure, and align metal workpieces prior to welding.
They collaborate with manufacturing engineers to address issues related to damaged ducts.
They also carry out tests on ducting assemblies by pressurizing components and submerging in water to test welds.
As part of their responsibilities, tungsten inert gas welders make sure operation of gas and non-gas welding equipment are in accordance with safety guidelines.
They maintain good working knowledge of all welding positions and instrument operation.
They also oversee the training and supervision of inexperienced welders to ensure welds are up to acceptable standards.
Usually, TIG welders carry out welding to repair super alloy and stainless steel components.
They conduct pre-heating and post-heating of weld elements to respectively prepare and reinforce welds.
They also assess welds to ensure they are clean, free of error and in accordance with relevant welding codes.
These welders perform leak detection tests to identify leaks on water tanks, pumps, and piping systems.
Carrying out welding operations in accordance with appropriate welding procedure specification is also part of the TIG welder description.
To be hired for this job requires high school diploma and certification from recognized Labor Unions.
The major qualities needed to succeed on this job include technical, measurement, and problem-solving skills.
TIG Welder Job Description Example/Template
Working as a TIG welder involves carrying out various welding functions.
Given below is a TIG welder job description example, which highlights the major tasks, duties, and responsibilities of the role:
- Oversee the selection and procurement of materials and equipment required for TIG welding
- Measure and align workpieces using straightedges, clamps, and calipers
- Fill ducts with water/air and submerge in water to identify pipe leakage
- Assist plumbers, HVAC, and manufacturing engineers during construction
- Ensure compliance with established health/safety policies and regulations
- Carry out grinding and thermal cutting operations to obtain various textures and sizes for metal parts
- Oversee the set-up of TIG welding equipment
- Operate power and hand tools such as arc welders, buffing machine, and scrapers
- Maintain good working knowledge of the welding characteristics of metals such as stainless steel, aluminum, and titanium
- Read and interpret welding blueprints, schematics, and codes
- Carry out preventative maintenance and repair of piping systems and metal structures
- Ensure welding operations meet set specifications and construction requirements
- Oversee the training and mentoring of new and trainee TIG welders
- Perform TIG welding on materials such as fiberglass, iron, plastic, and copper
- Conduct radiographic and bend tests to verify the quality of weld.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for TIG Welder Job
If you are seeking employment as a TIG welder, the following are major qualification requirements most recruiters will want you to meet:
- Education and Training: To become a TIG welder, you require some technical training; a precedent to welding certification. Labor unions usually offer apprenticeship programs that you can get into. You can opt for a welding engineering degree, although you’ll require a high school diploma prior to that. Several years of welding experience may also be required
- Technical Skill: TIG welders are able to operate gas and non-gas welding device in carrying out welding duties
- Measurement Skill: They are proficient in using various measurement tools to establish the configuration or position of a welding plan
- Problem-solving Skill: They assess metal structures to identify and initiate repair of damaged welds
- Pre-employment tests: To complete the hiring process for this role, or to be admitted into an apprenticeship program for TIG training, most employers may require you to take an assessment test. Learn more about job assessment tests and how to make excellent scores in them..
If you need to make a work description for the TIG role in your company, you can apply the sample description given above.
The job description you will create will enable you to attract the best candidates for the position if you are hiring.
This post also provides detailed information about what tungsten inert gas welders do. This is useful for people interested in the career to learn about it and the responsibilities they will be charged with when hired for the position.
Did you find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities of TIG welding professionals? Do share your thought about this article in the comment box below. You may also share what you do on your job if you are a TIG welder.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.