Technical Project Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Technical Project Manager Do?
A technical project manager in most cases is an Information Technology (IT) specialist, whose line of duty is basically focused on overseeing projects that are related to network communications. The duty to be carried out by the individual holding this position is normally dependent on the nature of work at hand.
The job description of a technical project manager entails facilitating communication between different departments within a company, making sure other project workers stick to company guidelines.
The manager is responsible for the provision of technical project planning and management of important projects and/or initiatives by making sure that projects and/or initiatives are in line with company plans and priorities.
He/she is also expected to make sure that selected projects and initiatives are executed within the time frame that is allocated to them, and that they fall within the organization’s budget.
The role of a technical project manager also entails making sure that there is a balance in the sustainability, scheduling, and performance of each project that is being embarked on.
It also includes analyzing various solutions to problems, stating why a particular solution (means of tackling a problem at hand) was chosen over others.
The manager organizes and manages all levels or forms of service delivery which includes the design, analysis, training, testing, and setting-up of solutions.
He/she will also be responsible for all kinds of project management functions, including project planning, scheduling, risk management, resource management, sequential status reports, and both internal and external communication linkages in the company.
The technical project manager work description also involves planning, carrying out research, and putting up solutions to both new and existing projects.
He/she sets standards for each project the company embarks on and monitors the input of different teams within the organization in order to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the project as planned.
The project manager works hand in hand with different stakeholders (both internal and external) in a bid to increase efficiency in the delivery of projects, and to also make sure that there is an improvement in customer satisfaction.
The role of technical project managers is one that is quite complex and needs efficiency in both technical and management fields.
Technical Project Managers Job Description/Template
Technical project managers perform various functions; the job description example below shows major tasks, duties, and responsibilities that commonly make up the role:
- Evaluate complex situations using diverse sources of information
- Lead, monitor, and motivate different teams across the company and interact with staff at all levels in the organization
- Create and manage methods of management, communication plans, and processes
- Analyze, plan, and develop procedures and other management and technical duties
- Define the scope of the project, roles, and responsibilities along with various stakeholders
- Participate in the allocation of budget, staff and any other resource(s) that are needed to accomplish or achieve set out goals (projects), and also monitor the performance of every project
- Maintain correct project time frames, estimates, and status reports
- Responsible for the management of complex problems and development of processes for scheduling and administration
- Make sure that all required projects are completed and reviewed
- Responsible for identifying, clarifying, and communicating the vision(s) and/or objective(s) of projects and show how they fall in place with, enhance, or inhibits such vision(s) and/or objective(s)
- Provide process improvement recommendations that are based on best practices and industry standards.
Requirements – Abilities, Skills, and Knowledge – for Technical Project Manager Job
Here are major requirements you will have to meet to be qualified to work as a technical project manager with most companies:
- Good and effective communication and leadership skills.
- Good interpersonal skills so as to be able to relate with people or personnel from different units of the company
- Excellent numerical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant IT applications
- Ability to build relationship across many fronts
- Ability to focus and pay attention to details at all times
- Ability to work in a team as well as an individual with little or no supervision
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in any IT-related discipline
- 3-5 years of relevant working experience in a project management setting
- Any other certification would be a plus.
If you are hiring for the position of technical project manager, the sample job description provided in this post can help you create one for the available position in your company.
As an employer, applying information about the duties and responsibilities of technical project managers in this article will enable you to produce an effective description for the role that can attract the best applicants to your offer.
You will also find this post valuable if you are someone interested in becoming a technical project manager as you will learn a whole lot about what the role entails.
Did this article help you to learn about what technical project managers do? Please, leave a quick comment in the box below of what you think about this post. We will also love to read about your job description if you work as a technical project manager.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.