Special Events Manager Job Description, Duties, and Responsibilities
What Does a Special Events Manager Do?
A special events manager is a person who works in an organization – profitable or not-for-profit in order to help such an organization to organize public events and/or performances.
His/her job description entails collaborating with a team of people, including artists, company’s marketers, and local council leaders if he/she will be successful in organizing the public event or performance.
In the light of their prepared plan, special events managers ensure that their events go in accordance with the plan. These events could be in the form of sports, musical performances, evangelical outreaches, political rallies, etc.
To ensure that every event is a success, the first duty of an events manager is preparation of budget for each event.
Such budgets often outline the cost of hiring event venues, refreshments, and entertainment, and hiring of outsource staff to work at the event. This they often do with diligence to ensure they come up with frugal but effective budget for the organization or client.
As part of their work descriptions, they obtain necessary permits from the local council in which their proposed events will be held.
One of their responsibilities is to ensure that they positively project the image of the organization they are carrying out the event for.
They are also expected to spy on other events so that they may get one tip or the other that may make their events better.
It is also the role of the special events manager to ensure that events are organized within budget and come off as planned.
He/she also bears the responsibility of ensuring smooth packing of items and settlement of outsource staff at the end of the event.
Special Events Manager Job Description Example/Sample/Template
Special events managers perform various functions as they strive to organize awesome events.
The following are typical tasks, duties, and responsibilities that make up the job description of most people who work as special events managers:
- Meeting clients who need events to be organized
- Working with the marketing department to ensure that the public event and/or performance to be carried out by them ultimately lead to more patronage
- Overseeing the performance of an event
- Planning events
- Choosing an appropriate venue for proposed event or performance in the light of the number of participants expected at the event, the purpose of the event, as well as the appropriateness of the event for the venue, etc.
- Securing the attendance of experienced and well-known performers to their events venue
- Ensuring that their events are widely advertised in order to draw the attention of lots of people
- Listening to the thoughts of clients in order to appreciate their desires and to implement their thoughts on the day scheduled for the event
- Providing professional advice to clients on how best their event can be organized in order to achieve the best result.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – For Special Events Manager Role
If you are seeking the job of a special events manager, here are major requirements and qualifications you will need to have to be able to access the job with most employers:
- Ability to know what other people really need their events to be like and ensuring their events come out just as they imagined it to be
- Ability to work strictly within a budget
- A degree in any of the management courses is very much needed
- Experience in scheduling event is important
- Ability to work based on a schedule
- Ability to work with others
- Good communication skills in order to effectively pass information across to their team members effectively
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good organization skills
- Ability to multitask smoothly
- Good listening skills
- Knowledge of local laws on the requirements for carrying out public events within a particular local council.
You will find the sample job description for the special events manager position provided in this post useful if you are an employer hiring for the role.
You will be able to produce a great description for the position in your company easily and quickly too by making use of the content of this post, and that will improve your chances of getting the best-qualified events managers to apply for the job.
Individuals interested in a career in special events management will also find this post helpful in learning about the duties and responsibilities that characterize the position.
Did this post help improve your knowledge of what special events managers do? Please, leave your thoughts in the comment box below. And if you work as a special events manager, please share your work description too.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.