Solution Architect Job Description Example
What Does a Solution Architect Do?
The job description of the solution architect entails the execution of complex projects by studying and understanding clients’ requirements, identifying gaps (if any) between clients’ requirements and SAP functionalities, and defining solutions to bridge the gap.
He/she also makes sure that the project scope is maintained and solutions implemented.
Solution architects usually work in information technology (IT) firms where their major responsibility is to design information solutions and integrate such solutions with computer hardware to meet specific business needs.
Their role also involves examining current business architectural designs and working with other professionals to ensure successful implementation of such designs and completion of projects.
A solution architect may also be responsible for the design, development, and integration of computer programs.
He/she is also expected to oversee the testing of such programs.
In some cases, he/she may not be the program developer but will ensure that the developer understands the business needs and works strictly in compliance with the needs of the client.
The solution architect is usually part of the enterprise architecture unit headed by the enterprise architect.
However, a solution analyst is usually saddled with the responsibility of designing and implementing individual projects.
He/she is expected to work closely with clients and business representatives to understand their business needs and design unique plans to tackle the IT need of each business or client.
The solution architect must also understand not just the IT needs of the business but also the business needs and the overall impact of his/her solution to the profitability of the business.
So, he/she must at all times strive to propose and design IT solutions that would yield return on investment for the business.
His/her work description also includes coordinating the activities of solution architecture unit, as well as reviewing proposals from vendors and suppliers for any project that requires external input.
The solution architect identifies existing business risks related to the implementation of software design and ensures that such risks are mitigated.
Most companies hire solution architects with Bachelor’s degree in computer science or an IT related discipline.
In addition, he/she must be a specialist in at least one particular IT area. Basically, he/she must be computer savvy with sound knowledge of computer hardware and software.
Also, vast knowledge of operating systems, system security, and database management is very necessary to effectively perform the duties of this role.
He or she must be able to effectively communicate issues of technical nature to clients. Ability to set and meet target is also very important as most projects have limited time frame.
Solution Architect Job Description Example
The following is a job description example for the role of a solution architect. It consists of the common duties, tasks, and responsibilities for the position:
- Liaise with clients and business representatives to understand the needs of business
- Liaise with other professionals to design solution architecture for businesses and clients
- Ensure compliance to solution architectural design in the implementation of projects
- Provide architectural guidance to the project team
- Render consulting and technical support services on project implementation to the project team
- Explain technical issues and IT solution strategies to stakeholders and other IT professionals
- Keep accurate record of materials used, expected deliverables, and milestones achieved
- Ensure that solution milestones are accomplished at the right time
- Guide the activities of the solution architecture unit to ensure timely completion of projects
- Ensure that solution architecture (software and programs) designed are in sync with business needs and hardware
- Review the proposal of vendors and suppliers to ensure that quality inputs are delivered at the least possible cost
- Monitor the activities of external programmers or developers on IT solution projects
- Identify and mitigate existing business risk or risks associated with solution architecture.
Solution Architect Resume Preparation
When preparing a resume for the solution architect job, you will need to include a section for highlighting your work experience.
This makes the resume stronger and to stand a better chance of getting you an interview.
You can quickly create this section if you have actually worked as a solution architect by making use of the duties and responsibilities of the position highlighted in the sample job description given above.
Requirements – Abilities, Knowledge, and Skills – for Solution Architect Job
If you are seeking to work as a solution architect, here are important skills and qualities most employers usually require from applicants for consideration for the job:
- Computer Literacy: To be a solution analyst, you have to be computer savvy and must feel comfortable working on computers for a long time. You must have basic knowledge of computer hardware and software, operating systems, and system security/database management
- Education and Certification: You must possess at least a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or in an IT related discipline. This is usually not enough as certification in a particular IT area is also necessary
- Communication: The position involves collaboration with clients, reporting to the lead enterprise architect, and leading a team of solution architects. So, good communication skill is paramount in this role.
- Analytical thinking: He/she must be an analytical thinker. A solution architect must be able to understand the IT need of businesses and design programs to cater for such needs. He/she must be able to evaluate the likely effects of such programs on the profitability of the businesses
- Other necessary qualities include attention to detail, ability to work alone and also in group, and time consciousness.
Solution Architect Skills for Resume
Most employers usually like to see the related skills and qualities you will be bringing to the job in your resume.
The above stated requirements for the solution architect job gives you the opportunity to know the skills set the majority of employers are interested in, develop them and highlight them in your resume to make it more compelling to hiring managers.
How did you find our solution architect job description sample? Please share your view by making a comment in the box below.