Software Product Manager Job Description Sample, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities
The software product manager job description involves assessing customer needs, as well as performing market research and analyses and suggesting new features to develop for existing products.
The responsibility also covers identifying new software products that will be acceptable to customers.
The role of this position also includes creating software product management across company’s existing business units. This starts from developing new products for the company and increasing the profitability of existing products.
The software product manager is charged with the task of building products from already existing ideas and also helping to develop new ideas based on their contact with customers, prospects, as well as industry experience.
His/her duties also include finding innovative solutions for the broader market, and must enjoy spending time with customers so as to understand their challenges.
The manager responsible for software products in a company will work with engineering colleagues to define the requirements of the product to be released.
Their role also includes working with marketing communications to define the marketing strategies to use, helping them understand the key benefits, target customer and product positioning.
Software product managers also serve as the external and internal link for the company’s product offering, occasionally working with key customers and sales channel.
To be effective on this job, the manager must be technical savvy and possess a unique blend of business knowledge and skills; a big-picture vision, as well as the passion to make that vision a reality.
The individual must also have a strong software background, especially in the cloud integration/middleware space and the on premise; and must be able to share ideas cum information with other departments in the company.
Software Product Manager Job Description Sample
The sample job description shown below highlights major duties, tasks, and responsibilities that usually make up the work software product managers carry out daily.
- Move company to software systems business model from hardware
- Identify opportunities, build product vision and understand market needs, roadmap and strategy
- Work with technology team to produce world-class products driven by technology visionaries, domain experts, and customers
- Own product specifications, requirements, and release plans
- Research customer and user needs, write user stories, partner with user experience team for rapid prototyping, and work with engineering department to develop marketable products
- Participate in user conferences and customer facing situations as a product expert
- Collect and synthesize inputs from engineering, sales, business units, vertical marketing group and the market to lead business and products direction
- Partner with cross functional teams to ensure quality product output, timeliness, and market requirements
- Be the Company’s Product Evangelist
- Analyze growth rate, SAM, TAM, SWOT, market penetration and competitive analysis for the products
- Maintain changes in tactics and marketing strategy, take cognizance of competitive activities and general trends that could affect sales of products
- Propose product strategy changes as a result of competitive changes in the marketplace
- Optimize and manage market share, long-term competitiveness cum ROI of the product line
- Monitor product profit margins
- Recommend optimum distribution channel strategies
- Team up with design engineers and visit customers to propose product solution
- Develop sales tools with marketing communications group, vertical marketing group and business Units
- Contribute to and create other marketing communications strategies
- Support and deliver product collateral for applications teams and field sales
Preparing a resume for the software product manager job:
To create a resume for the position of manager of software products, information from the job description example given above can be used in making the employment history part of the resume.
Requirements – Qualities – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the Position of Software Product Manager
The following is a list of vital requirements; including knowledge, skills, and abilities an aspiring software product manager should have to be considered for the job:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in software product management
- Experience with the methodology of software development
- Pragmatic Marketing certified is a plus
- Proficient computer skills, Lotus Notes etc.
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to represent products at a professional level
- High integrity
- Solid work ethic
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.