School Business Manager Job Description Example
What Does a School Business Manager Do?
A school business manager is sometimes referred to as finance director or bursar. He/she is simply someone who partly oversees the management of a school.
His/her job description involves working closely with the head of the school for effective management of the school’s resources.
The school business manager is responsible for offering advice to the head teacher on policy regarding finance and general running of the school.
This is one position that is integral to the successful running of any school; although its role is not really certain; it’s been evolving over the years.
Depending on the strength of the school, the business manager will be responsible for the care and maintenance of the school premise; this could include the environment up keep, equipment, and so on.
He or she also plays a role in the recruitment and management of certain staff, basically the non-teaching ones.
This position works hand in hand with IT, finance, and admin teams.
They put their heads together to come up with ideas for the growth of the school.
School business managers are gradually becoming an integral part of senior leadership teams in a lot of schools around. Their importance is more evident as a school becomes autonomous.
Research has it that institutions with highly trained business managers save them a lot of losses and ineffectiveness, especially on the part of the head teacher, who is now focused on the learning activities of the school.
School Business Manager Job Description Example
With the roles of the school business manager evolving rapidly, partly depending on the school’s size, here is an example of job description for the position, showing a list of primary duties, tasks, and responsibilities business managers in schools are usually expected to accomplish:
- Responsible for managing the finance and account of the school. Advice on budgetary control; ensuring the effective use of resources
- Ensure the paying of salaries
- Participate in recruiting, training, and managing of school support staff
- Establish finance policies for the institution
- Take charge of the management and maintenance of school buildings
- Ensure compliance to safety and health policies of the school
- Responsible for managing the administrative system of the school
- May engage in some marketing activities, like fund bidding for the school; and attend events
- Handle school’s contracts and supplies; order for supplies of goods and services needed by the school
- Liaise with external partners with the aim of securing additional funds for running the school
- Offer support to the principal in areas of his/ her managerial, administrative, and leadership duties
- Motivate and encourage students on their studies and potential maximization
- Ensure conducive learning environment for students
- Responsible for managing records of staff personnel; oversee work with the payroll providers and school’s personnel
- Prepare financial reports where necessary
- Perform human resource management; payroll administration
- Ensure the school is properly run
- Contribute effectively to the strategic direction of the institution
School Business Manager Resume Preparation
To prepare a resume for the post of school business manager, particularly the work experience section of it, information about the functions of the position is needed. Such information is provided by the sample job description shown above.
You only needed to modify it to reflect your true experience on the job.
Requirements – Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities – for School Business Manager
As someone aspiring to work as a school business manager, there are certain skills that you should have in other to be considered for the position by most employers:
- Management skills: School business managers need to have the ability to get people coordinated, motivated to get the desired result
- Accounting or finance management skills: He/she must be able to manage finance
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Leadership skills: The manager must have the ability to lead individuals and team of staff in various departments
- Decision making skills: He/she must be able to think through issues and come up with the best decision
- Planning skills: The business manager should possess the ability to effectively manage budgets
- Good organization skills: He/she must be able to manage a group of people
- Time-management skills: The school business manager should be able to manage time effectively to accomplish a number of tasks and meet his/her daily target
- Ability to work under pressure and remain calm; and to meet strict deadlines
- Computer skills: Having a fair or general knowledge of computers is very essential for the manager, especially the Microsoft office application
- Ability to manage large budgets
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality towards work
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to maintain high level of work ethics and professionalism
- Ability to pay attention to detail and display a zero-error mindset
- Possess an outgoing and pleasant disposition
Help share this post: If you enjoyed our school business manager and skills, which can be used as a template in making job descriptions and resumes for the position, please share with friends on your favorite social channel, thanks so much!