Sales Supervisor Job Description Sample
The sales business is often times viewed as a field of its own. That is true in some cases, but in many other cases it is a wrong idea.
Sales are most times subject to the same types of management structure as with other businesses. That structure often includes the contribution of a sales supervisor, the one whose responsibility is to work together and directly with a sales team.
His/her job description includes acting as a liaison between the management and the team, leading the team to make its quotas, correcting any problem that comes up and motivating the sales team.
To understand the job and role of a sales supervisor, it can be helpful when viewed from different positions on different levels.
On the lowest level for example, we have the sales team. While on the highest level, there is always a manager or Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
The supervisor is ideally one level above the sales team and he is usually many levels below the manager and the CEO.
The sales supervisor usually acts as the intermediary between the upper levels of management and the sales team.
In most cases, policies, decisions and other important matters are decided at the higher levels.
Therefore, it is the duty of the sales supervisor to make sure that such decisions or policies are implemented by the sales team.
When senior managers discover a problem, such as a salesperson not meeting targets or adhering to policies, they don’t confront such a person directly.
Rather, the supervisor will be notified and mandated to address such problems.
Solving this kind of problem could involve him taking disciplinary action like issuing a warning to the salesperson.
Solving problems relating to sales results often times involve the supervisor going extra mile to offer assistance and help the salesperson do better.
A good sales supervisor is usually involved in empowering and motivating his/her team. There are several ways they can do this.
For instance, they may organize regular sales meetings or try to develop a high level of product confidence in their team.
Sales Supervisor Job Description Sample
Below are duties, tasks, and responsibilities most companies would include in the job description of their sales supervisors:
- Formulate pricing policies.
- Determine daily coupons.
- Ensure pricing is correct.
- Work on store displays.
- Attend trade shows to identify new services and products.
- Coach, train, counsel, recruit and discipline employees.
- Evaluate on-the-job performance of sales team.
- Identify future and current trends that appeal to consumers.
- Ensure merchandise ready to be displayed clean.
- Approve contracts with vendors.
- Ensure items are in stock and maintain inventory.
- Keep up with fluctuating demand and supply.
- Analyze financial and operating statements for profitability ratios.
- Ensure promotions are in with company’s standards.
- Utilize ICT for data analysis, to record sales figures and forward planning.
- Monitor local competitors.
- Organize sales staff schedules.
- Preside over staff meetings.
- Assist sales staff in achieving sales targets.
- Manage different departments in the store.
- Handle customer complaints, questions and issues.
Preparing a Resume for the Sales Supervisor Job
To prepare a resume to be used in vying for the job of sales supervisor, the job description example given above can be utilized in creating the professional history section of the resume, as well as other sections.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities for the Post of Sales Supervisor
To be effective and efficient working as a sales supervisor, you need to have the qualities shown below.
Most employers usually set the given skills, abilities, and knowledge base as minimum requirements for applicants seeking the position.
- A Degree with emphasis on sales or marketing or business.
- Excellent selling skills, including closing ability, strong negotiation, as well as excellent people skills.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Minimum of one or two years sales experience.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong organization skills.