Sales/Marketing Manager Job Description Example
What Does a Sales/Marketing Manager Do?
Sales/marketing managers generally oversee the promotion and distribution of products and services.
Their job description entails various activities that improve product awareness and increase purchases.
Sales/marketing managers develop and implement strategies effective for achieving sales and marketing objectives.
They provide coaching and counselling to sales and marketing staff to aid them in achieving job expectations.
They also set and enforce policies and procedures necessary for conducting sales and marketing operations.
Sales/marketing managers are part of the team responsible for the interviewing, hiring, and training of sales/marketing recruits.
Their work description involves planning and coordinating campaigns for the marketing and sales of products/services.
They are responsible for preparing and submitting the sales and marketing budget for a company.
As part of their duties, sales/marketing managers establish sales targets and assign sales quotas to sales teams.
They monitor and evaluate the activities/performance of sales teams to proffer advice and recommendations for better output.
In fulfilling their role, sales/marketing managers develop and implement action plans for enhancing the public perception and image of a company or brand.
They oversee the design and publication of advert materials to ensure the right message is passed to the target market.
They collaborate with other company departmental heads to ensure sales and marketing goals are achieved.
Usually, sales/marketing managers compile, analyze, and interpret sales figures to produce results useful in taking appropriate business decisions.
They prepare and present to management periodic reports on sales and marketing activities.
They also conduct market research to identify price of competing products, demand of products and other important trends useful in taking key business decisions.
Other tasks they perform include preparing and submitting sales and marketing budget to management for approval.
They conduct price negotiations with clients to strike a profitable bargain. Also, they maintain contact with customers to assist with post-sales services and help resolve any issue with purchased product.
Anyone can be hired as a sales/marketing manager with a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, finance, business, or economics.
Some of the qualities to have to succeed in this job include communication, negotiation, and team-work skills.
Sales/Marketing Manager Job Description Example/Template
If you are applying to work as a sales/marketing manager, the following job description example shows the common tasks, duties, and responsibilities you can be asked to perform:
- Develop and implement strategies effective for achieving sales and marketing objectives
- Provide coaching and counselling to sales and marketing staff to aid them in achieving job expectations
- Set and enforce policies and procedures necessary for conducting sales and marketing operations
- Oversee the interviewing, hiring and training of sales and marketing recruits
- Plan and coordinate campaigns for the marketing and sales of products/services
- Prepare and submit sales and marketing budgets to management for review and approval
- Establish sales targets and assign sales quotas to sales teams
- Monitor and evaluate the activities/performance of sales teams to proffer advice and recommendations for better output
- Develop and implement action plans necessary to enhance the public perception and image of a company or brand
- Oversee the design and publication of advert materials and ensure the right message is passed across to the target market
- Collaborate with other company departmental heads to implement strategies effective for achieving set sales and marketing goals
- Compile, analyze, and interpret sales figures to produce results useful in taking appropriate business decisions
- Prepare and present to management periodic reports on sales/marketing activities
- Conduct market research to identify price of competing products, demand of products and other trends useful in taking key decisions
- Prepare sales/marketing budgets and submit to management for approval
- Conduct price negotiations with clients on behalf of a company to strike a profitable bargain
- Maintain contact with clients to assist them with post-sales services and help resolve issues or complaints.
Sales/Marketing Manager Resume Preparation
If you are preparing a resume for the sales/marketing manager role, having a well presented work experience section in it will make it more effective as most employers require candidates for this position to have acquired a good dose of experience on the job.
The sample job description given above will help you to properly highlight the functions you carried out or are presenting performing as a manager of sales and marketing.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Sales/Marketing Manager Job
The following are the important qualities and skills most employers of sales and marketing managers normally require applicants for the position to satisfy to be considered for hiring:
- Education and Training: To become a sales/marketing manager, you require a Bachelor’s degree in marketing, finance, economics, or other related business discipline. The sales/marketing manager position also requires prior experience in the field of sales, preferably as a sales representative. Sales/marketing managers are usually given on-the-job training to provide them insight on sales activities
- Communication Skills: Sales/marketing managers are adept at effectively communicating with customers to offer them products and services that they like
- Negotiation Skills: They are skilled in conducting price negotiations with clients to reach a bargain favorable to both the management and the client
- Teamwork Skills: They are able to work with sales and marketing teams to achieve set objectives.
Sales/Marketing Manager Skills for Resume
Also, your sales/marketing resume will be more effective if it has a section to highlight the relevant skills you are bringing to the job.
The above given required qualities for the job show the relevant skills you need to develop to get employers’ attention and to succeed on the job.
If you have these skills and qualities, make sure to highlight them in your resume for employers to see that you will be able to perform on the job excellently.
If you are looking for a sales and marketing manager job and want to know the kind of duties and responsibilities you might be required to perform, the above job description explains it all.
Also, if you are seeking a great manager to handle sales and marketing duties, the job description template provided in this post will help you in designing a work description that captures all important functions of the role for your recruitment drive, and in assigning tasks to the successful candidate.
Did your knowledge of what sales/marketing managers do increase from reading this post? Please share your thoughts about this post by making a comment in the box below. If you have some sales/marketing manager experience, do also share it with us.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.