Rough Carpenter Job Description Example
What Does a Rough Carpenter Do?
Rough carpenters are responsible for the construction, repair, and maintenance of wooden structures.
Their job description entails building rough wooden frames for structures such as scaffolds, tunnels, temporary frame shelters, and billboard signs.
Rough carpenters as their title implies specialize in the unrefined construction of wooden structures, this is in contrast to trim carpenters who are more given to fine details.
In performing their duties, these carpenters utilize tools such as measuring tapes, rules, and squares to measure distances and lay out a construction work.
They read and interpret construction blueprints to determine the dimensions and specifications of woodwork.
They also cut timbers and plywood to desired sizes with the aid of handsaws and power saw.
Rough carpenters usually mark reference points and cutting lines on construction materials using pencil and scriber.
They use nails, bolts, and steel cables to join or hold wood structures in place.
They also build and assemble construction forms and temporary equipment such as scaffolds, hoists, roof supports, or framework.
As part of their responsibilities, rough carpenters bore bolt holes on timber, concrete wall or masonry with the aid of power drill.
They are in charge of the installation of window frames, rough doors and structure supports for safety purposes.
Their role also entails setting up and building chutes for pouring of concrete during cementation.
These carpenters examine timbers to detect decay and ensure replacement of damaged wood stock.
They conduct inspection of wood construction equipment to identify inefficient or faulty tools and facilitate repairs.
Their work description also involves overseeing the digging of post holds to ensure proper set up of supporting poles.
In fulfilling their role, rough carpenters nail plaster grounds to studding to indicate the reference point for plasterer.
They also build false works to strengthen, protect or disguise a building.
To get into this career require at least a high school diploma, which is a prerequisite for entry into a carpentry trade school.
Some of the qualities you need to succeed in this job include physical strength, stamina, and math skills.
Rough Carpenter Job Description Example/Template
The work of a rough carpenter is as important in the construction industry as that of other professionals.
The duties, tasks, and responsibilities they may handle are shown in the job description example below:
- Fabricate wood sections and components using woodworking and metalworking equipment
- Build and oversee the installation of supporting and safety framework such as support poles
- Utilize power drills in creating bolt holes on concrete walls, timber or other wood stock
- Assemble and join wood parts using screw, nails or bolts to construct the framework of a structure
- Erect construction forms and temporary structures such as scaffolds, hoists, and framework
- Study and review construction blueprints to determine work requirements and specifications
- Cut or saw timbers, boards and plywood to desired size using power saw, handsaw or other cutting equipment
- Use measuring tapes, rules and squares to measure materials and distance in order to lay out construction work
- Install building fixtures among which include doors, windows, floor and wall boards
- Direct and supervise construction personnel to ensure compliance with set objectives
- Maintain proper record of operational and environmental information
- Verify the horizontal and vertical elevation of wooden structure using plumb line and level
- Brace and anchor wood structures using anchor rods, steel cables and wedges
- Use scribers and pencil to indicate reference points for cutting
- Adhere to safety/health regulations and procedures when carrying out construction operations.
Requirements – Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge – for Rough Carpenter Job
If you are interested in working as a rough carpenter, and want to know what qualifications you need to meet to get the job, the following are major requirements usually set by most employers in the industry when hiring for the position:
- Education and Training: To become a rough carpenter, you require at least a high school diploma which allows for entry into a woodworking institution. You could also opt for an apprenticeship program to gain experience from professional carpenters
- Physical Strength: Rough carpenters are able to lift, handle and position fairly heavy materials and equipment
- Physical Stamina: They are able to withstand and perform rigorous tasks while standing or taking other strenuous position
- Math Skill: They are proficient in making mathematical calculations to establish the dimensions of a structure
- Pre-employment tests: If you are taking the apprenticeship route to become a carpenter, or are applying for a job after completing a training program in an institution, you may be required to take a test by some employers to be taken in as an apprentice or hired for the job. Learn about pre-employment tests you may be required to take and how to be successful in them.
This post provides employers a sample of rough carpenter job description that they can apply as a template, with some modification if necessary, to quickly design a work description that completely captures the activities they want individuals they are hiring for the role to perform.
It also provides in-depth information about the duties and responsibilities of rough carpenters for individuals interested in the career to learn and have a better understanding of what they do.
Did this post increase your knowledge of what rough carpenters do? Please, leave a comment in the box below. You may also share your work activities if you are a rough carpenter.
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.