Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example – #2
The job description of the retail sales associate position takes into consideration the fact that these personnel are usually the first set of people a customer meets when they enter a store.
They are expected to create, as well as maintain a long-term relationship with their customers so as to represent the store in a positive manner and achieve sales goals while ensuring further business.
Their responsibilities also include helping customers in making choices, and assisting them to locate items they want to buy, and also providing information about the particular product they are interested in.
The main duty of a retail sales associate is to sell. He/she may work in any industry – from selling cars to shoes.
The person needs to have an extensive knowledge of his/her company’s services and products, and must be customer focused and sales oriented.
In some companies, a retail sales associate will perform tasks, such as operating cash register once a sale has been made.
The role of the retail sales associate does not end here – they are also expected to order stock, stock shelves and even manage inventory.
They may be required to put a price on products, as well as update shelves if the price of any item changes, or when new products come in.
Retail sales associates work very closely with customers, which is the major reason they need to be able to resolve the customers’ complaints satisfactorily.
They educate customers with product knowledge in relation to warranty and features, along with any special deal or discount that the product may hold.
Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example
A list of specific duties, tasks, and responsibilities which make up most retail sales associates’ job description are shown in the job description example below:
- Greet customers and determine their wants cum needs
- Discuss quality, type and number of merchandise required for a particular purchase
- Recommend merchandise based on the individual requirements
- Advise customers on care and utilization of merchandise
- Advise clients on any service or product they need information and help on
- Explain the advantage and use of merchandise to customers
- Answer customers’ questions satisfactorily
- Demonstrate live how merchandise works
- Quote discounts, prices, as well as trade-in allowances, credit terms, delivery dates and warranties
- Assist in displaying merchandise
- Welcome customers by greeting; and offer them assistance
- Direct customers by escorting them to counters and racks, as well as suggesting items they could buy
- Advice customers on suitable goods to purchase
- Assist customers in making selection from the diverse range of products available
- Build customer confidence by offering them suggestions and opinions
- Document sales by creating and updating customer profile records
- Process card payments and cash
- Stock shelves with merchandise
- Answer queries from customers
- Report problems and discrepancies to the supervisor
- Give guidance and advice to customers on product selection.
- Balance cash registers with receipts
- Attend to customer refunds
- Keep the store tidy and clean by hovering and mopping it daily
- Deal with customer complaints
- Work with established rules, mostly with brands
- Attach price tags to items on the shop floor
- Be on the lookout for fraudulent credit cards, shoplifters, etc.
Requirements – Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities – for the job of Retail Sales Associate
Below are usually required traits, knowledge, abilities, and skills, which applicants should possess to be considered by employers for the retail sales associate position.
- May require a high school diploma
- No experience required
- Must have a confident disposition, and be able to treat customers with respect
- Must be polite and helpful
- Must be physically fit
- Must have extensive understanding of the different departments, such as, Fast Moving Consumer Goods; retail; and sports equipment
- Must have knowledge of inventory techniques
- Must maintain smart dressing and appearance; and be articulate in speech
- To be hired into this position, some employers may require you take and score high in certain job tests. See various job assessment tests and how to make high scores.
Also, see Top 15 Retail Sales Associate Skills to be best on the job.
If you are presently working as a retail sales associate or have worked in that role in the past, please share your job description and experience with the rest of us in the comment section below:
Retail Sales Associate Job Description Example – #1
Job Assessment Tests: How to Top Your Competition
As part of the hiring process, most applicants that passed the initial Resume/CV screening phase are required to pass an assessment test for the job or apprenticeship position they are applying for.
The goal of this phase is to determine if the candidate has the appropriate set of skills and qualities to excel on the job.
Find out the tests you will be needing to take for the position you are applying for; get lots of success proven Practice materials to prepare with now: Sure way to make high scores in job tests.